Trouble TTC

Baking Soda Update

Well....it worked like an absolute charm.  I went from having a count of 0 on yesterday's post-coital test to "too numerous to count" on today's test.  Who knew??  I'm really encouraged - both by my chances now, and by my RE.  

Re: Baking Soda Update

• That's wonderful news! Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • BandM14BandM14 member
    edited October 2014
    Okay, I'll retract my disbelieving comments from yesterday. That's great, good luck!!

Me: 27 DH: 35

TTC #1 Since July 2013

Started RE Testing July 2014

2 HSG tests: Right tube is blocked, possible endo.

TSH elevated, started Synthroid 25 mg daily.

October, 2014: Femara 5 mg + TI ---> 3 follies on blocked tube side ---> BFN

November, 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI#1--2 follies (on the good side), 46 mil. motile sperm=BFN

Nov-Dec 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #2 (1 follie, 76 mil. motile sperm) + Endometrin=BFN

January, 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #3 (1 follie, 38 mil. motile sperm)=???

New RE appt. scheduled for 1/14.

3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions

Mine: Lose the weight I put on from booze and cookies over Christmas.

• Loading the player...
  • I missed something. Anyone want to link where this started? I'm really curious! Congrats on your good news, OP!
    Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
    PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole
  • https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12452707/sperm-murderer#latest

long story short:  acidic mucus was killing all the sperm.  Nurse told me to try a baking soda douche before sex.  Everyone scratched their heads at that one (including me) but it did the trick.  
  • edited October 2014
    I'm wondering if that will still help in the cervix?  I can't imagine the douche reaches that far, as it's a very hard area to get into.

Glad to hear it's on the right track!  It's one hell of a cheap fertility treatment if that's all it takes :-)

***** GRAD / TICKER WARNING *****

************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• My body was killing all the sperm before it even got to the cervix. 
  • Ann612 said:
    My body was killing all the sperm before it even got to the cervix. 
    Oh, yes, totally, but if the same cervical mucus is in your cervix, I wonder if it will help.

It's definitely a step in the right direction :-)  And you know that if it doesn't work, it's very likely that an IUI will bypass that last little bit since murdering sperm definitely would be a major obstacle to conceiving.

Lots of hope for now, and still lots of hope if the baking soda alone doesn't work!
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• BandM14 said:
    Am I the only one who is secretly (now not-so-secretly) thinking about putting baking soda up their hoo-ha this cycle now?! I don't even know if I have acidic CM but this suddenly seems like a fantastic idea (obviously my desperate IF brain is running the show here).

@Ann612 do you mind sharing what the soda-to-water ratio was (JUST in case)? :)
    I'm am seriously thinking about putting baking soda up my vagina. SERIOUSLY. I have pretty thick CM and a lot of it and think it is killing the sperm. I'm def going to do some more research on it and try it out next money. 

Yes @Ann612 what is the secret potion?

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• Congratulations! That's about the coolest update I have ever seen. Yay for baking soda! Starting to sound super sexy now... :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • It was 2 tablespoons to a quart of warm water.  My nurse said to do it roughly an hour before sex.  I had never douched before, but it was pretty easy and painless.  Just stood in the shower to do it.  
  • Tiko99 said:
    BandM14 said:
    Am I the only one who is secretly (now not-so-secretly) thinking about putting baking soda up their hoo-ha this cycle now?! I don't even know if I have acidic CM but this suddenly seems like a fantastic idea (obviously my desperate IF brain is running the show here).

I'm am seriously thinking about putting baking soda up my vagina. SERIOUSLY. I have pretty thick CM and a lot of it and think it is killing the sperm. I'm def going to do some more research on it and try it out next money. 

I also have a lot.  I should also mention that the baking soda was done in conjunction with taking Mucinex - 1200 mg twice a day (it's just one pill of the extra strength), and I was very specifically told it must be regular Mucinex, not the DM.

After it worked, I was told I would not have to do it again before doing the BD this weekend.  But I was instructed to stay on the Mucinex.  So it seems like doing it once several days before ovulation is what was needed.  

All this being said, please check with your RE too!!  I wouldn't want to point anyone in the wrong direction.  
  • Ann612 said:
    Tiko99 said:
    BandM14 said:

I also have a lot.  I should also mention that the baking soda was done in conjunction with taking Mucinex - 1200 mg twice a day (it's just one pill of the extra strength), and I was very specifically told it must be regular Mucinex, not the DM.

After it worked, I was told I would not have to do it again before doing the BD this weekend.  But I was instructed to stay on the Mucinex.  So it seems like doing it once several days before ovulation is what was needed.  

All this being said, please check with your RE too!!  I wouldn't want to point anyone in the wrong direction.
    Thanks for the info I appreciate it! My RE doesn't do the post coital test (grrr) but I have my suspicions my CM is a problem. I'll mention it to my RE, but if he isn't on board I'm going to try any ways :) Thanks again!!!!

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• I will admit the thought crossed my mind even though we have no sperm to murder! 

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• Sounds like there's going to be a baking soda shopping spree happening this week in the IF world.  Lol.  Glad it did the trick.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"