Trouble TTC

Sperm murderer

Just had my first "post-coital" test and apparently I'm too acidic, and killing all the sperm.  So, now I have to douche with baking soda an hour before sex. (They really know how to suck the sexy out of this whole process).  Also, for the first time they've thrown out IUI as an option.  

So - what to expect with an IUI?  should I jump to that?  the nurse said it doesn't actually increase chances of pregnancy.  

Also - anyone else dealing with the acidic issue?  did the douche help?  

Re: Sperm murderer

• Ann612 said:
    Just had my first "post-coital" test and apparently I'm too acidic, and killing all the sperm.  So, now I have to douche with baking soda an hour before sex. (They really know how to suck the sexy out of this whole process).  Also, for the first time they've thrown out IUI as an option.  

So - what to expect with an IUI?  should I jump to that?  the nurse said it doesn't actually increase chances of pregnancy.  

Also - anyone else dealing with the acidic issue?  did the douche help?  
    If IUI didn't increase chances of pregnancy why would anyone do it, ever?  In your situation it would especially increase your chances, with your homicidal vagina and all.  

Wouldn't douching wash away all of your CM as well?  If the pH is off I suppose that is a good thing but its purpose is to help the sperm travel.  Also I thought that douches of any kind were frowned upon these days.  I would honestly just go to IUI in this situation. I am on my first IUI right now so I am probably not the best person to tell you what to expect, but I'm sure some other lovely ladies here will be able to answer that for you.

Good luck with everything!

• Loading the player...
  • Go for IUI. Douching (sp?) Is unhealthy for your vag and can lead to vaginal infections .. yuck! And yes your nurse is dumb! it'll increase your chances because the swimmers are avoiding an early death via your CM.
    *** If you want to know where I (and soo many others) have gone, click here ***
  • From what we were told the IUI gives people with difficulty trying to conceive the same chance of getting pregnant as people without difficulty (around 20-25%) so maybe that is what she meant?! Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt here (of course I could be way off on my info too!!) 

Good luck!
  • Wait, You were told an IUI wouldn't increase you're chances? How can that be? I done understand how douching is a good idea either? Especially with baking soda, and I also don't see how that won't kill sperm also. I Would look into this more, doesn't sound right at all. I'm no doctor but with the issue you're having it seems an IUI would be a good option because it puts the sperm past all of the stuff that could be killing it.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• I agree with PPs who have said to elect for IUI. Thought it will probably cost a little more (depending on your insurance coverage or lack thereof), it will ultimately be a lot less annoying and more effective than sticking baking soda up your vag.
    DX: I'm a Recurrent Loser
    Me (35) + DH (37) - Married Sept. 2007
    BFP #1 - DS born 7/11/11
    BFP#2 11/13/13 - EDD 7/29/14 - M/C at 5w3d
    BFP #3 12/28/13 - EDD 9/7/14 - M/C at 4w6d
    BFP#4 3/27/14 -  EDD 12/5/14 - Girl lost to 45X at 8w6d - D&C 
    BFP#5 10/15/14 - EDD 6/30/15 - M/C at 7w2d
    BFP #6 1/5/15 - EDD 9.16.14 [CLICKY for progress]
    In search of a image

• Wow, thanks everyone.  I had always heard myself that douching was no bueno for the lady town, but figured they knew what they were talking about.  

I'm sort of perplexed what to do here - I guess I will try researching a bit more.  H was also looking online and it seems changing my diet may also help.  

I had the exact same thought as mbrookeRN - if it didn't increase chances, why would it ever be done?  being a math person I wanted to know percentages

Ultimately it seems IUI may be the best solution.  I just need a day to adjust to that one - didn't think we'd get to that point so soon.  
  • I agree with PP, but I have to ask, are you dealing with an OB/GYN or an RE?  If you are not dealing with an RE, I highly suggest you seek care there before you start stocking up on the Arm and Hammer and listening to that nurse.  

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• That's the thing, I am dealing with an RE.  A very good one supposedly - he's been in the field for several decades and I've had 2 friends have success with him.  While it was a nurse who gave me the douche plan, I am sure she is following his methods.  
  • No - sorry I was unclear!  It was the first time IUI had ever been discussed with me at all.

I've since spoken to them again - basically, my body is hostile towards the sperm.  I am now on 2400mg of Mucinex a day and have been told to try the douche thing before sex tonight.  Tomorrow they are going to test again.

If they can't get my mucus to not kill the sperm, IUI will be our only option really (besides IVF of course).  This is kind of scary and upsetting to me.  
  • For the record, the idea of douching with baking soda and then having sex makes me want to cry. Wouldn't that wash away all the CM?  I would skip the soda and do the IUI.  Seems like that is a totally reasonable option, given the CM situation.  Just bypass the CM and deliver the swimmers directly to the goal?  
  • yeah, I am not happy about it, but willing to give it a try since it's only an additional day's worth.  

The douche is supposed to be a full hour before sex, so perhaps that allows time to build up mucus that has a better pH?  not entirely sure, but like I said, willing to give it a shot, since without it, I'm relegated to IUI every month if we want to try.  Baking soda still seems less evasive (and cheaper) than going that route.  

• *** Grad / Ticker Warning ***

The douche isn't going to clear out your actual cervix, just your vagina. And it's your mucus in your cervix that needs to be hospitable to the sperm (watch "The Great Sperm Race" on YouTube for an interesting and informative illustration). I don't see how on earth a medical doctor would think that to be a good solution?! And changing your pH balance like that could easily cause a yeast infection, so be on the lookout for symptoms if you do try it.

IUIs definitely improve your chances - they bypass the cervix entirely. My doctor had told us IUI alone would raise our chances 5% per month - fertility drugs would raise our chances 5% per month - and if I did them together, it would raise our chances by the combined amount (10%). He also said moving from Clomid/Femara to Follistim would add another 5%. So we went from less than 5% chance on our own to 20% with a Follistim IUI.

With endo, the benefit of IUI can be hit or miss, but it still gives you the best chance aside from IVF.

Good luck! Here's hoping I am totally wrong and a little baking soda is all you need.
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Um...of course it increases chances of pregnancy. Especially if they determine that your vajajay is an environment in which sperm can't live. IUI sounds like a great idea. I would probably choose that over douching with baking soda, since the douching sounds like a pretty inexact process when it comes to pinpointing a healthy pH for sperm!

I'm so sorry you're feeling scared about IUI! It is definitely an aggravating and stressful process getting in all the necessary appointments and monitoring. However, it's a great opportunity to first check you have clear tubes with an HSG (if you haven't already). And it can be a relief to know that awesome numbers of sperm are getting exactly where they need to go without any impediment. Plus, with IUI the office will help you make sure that the timing is perfect, so every cycle really counts!

I hope the first test was a fluke and you have a great result at your repeat test. But if not, I hope you will lean on us here at 3T to give support and help through your IUI cycle!!
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • OP, I don't really have any advice because I'm pretty new to this. But, if I were in your shoes I think I would definitely try the IUI- from how the ladies on here describe it, it doesn't seem overly invasive or scary (whereas putting backing soda up your vag sounds super scary to me-- I'm remembering those science experiments where you would add backing soda to the mix and it would turn into a frothy volcano-- yikes!).

On another note, how did your Dr. decide to do a post-coital test? Is that part of their routine testing? I'm asking because it wasn't even mentioned to me, and I'm about to start Femara with TI... now I'm wondering if I should have had that test to see if my vagina is homicidal as well. Have any of you other ladies had this test? Is it something I should request?

Me: 27 DH: 35

TTC #1 Since July 2013

Started RE Testing July 2014

2 HSG tests: Right tube is blocked, possible endo.

TSH elevated, started Synthroid 25 mg daily.

October, 2014: Femara 5 mg + TI ---> 3 follies on blocked tube side ---> BFN

November, 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI#1--2 follies (on the good side), 46 mil. motile sperm=BFN

Nov-Dec 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #2 (1 follie, 76 mil. motile sperm) + Endometrin=BFN

January, 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #3 (1 follie, 38 mil. motile sperm)=???

New RE appt. scheduled for 1/14.

3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions

Mine: Lose the weight I put on from booze and cookies over Christmas.

• **grad/ticker warning**

I would recommend doing some research and asking possibly for another test before accepting that the results are accurate. I remember reading about this awhile ago and I guess the accuracy/use of the post-coital test has come under question. I can't remember exactly where I found this but I think it was on a link from a reproductive endocrinologist's website.

Also, I do remember that it is supposed to be done very close to ovulation as well. Sorry to butt in but the douching just sounds like a very odd recommendation to me. GL!
    ***********siggy warning **********

Me: 26 DH: 27
    TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013
    Cycle 1: O CD 25=bfn
    Cycle 2: O CD 48=bfn
    Cycle 3: Anovulatory/Provera =120 days!
    Cycle 4: Anovulatory/Prometrium=127 days! RE consult 6/16
    Me: Anov/poss. pcos?  HSG=normal/SA= Normal 
    July/Aug. 2014= Femara+trigger+TI=BFP!!
    Beta #1@ 16dpo=626!! Beta #2=1510
    Ultrasound @ 5w6d=heartbeat at 110!
    Ultrasound @ 6w6d =heartbeat at 131!

Pregnancy Ticker

• They told you to douche with baking soda?? I'm having a hard time picturing a real RE prescribing that. You said it's the nurse who told you to try the douche and then this same nurse said IUI would not increase your chances... so that right there makes me think the nurse is suspect. If I were you I would call the RE himself and double-check the douche plan.

Either way I would absolutely try IUIs. They're not that difficult and they take out all the guesswork about CM. Is there enough CM, is it the right kind, etc etc etc - it's so nice to not have to worry about any of that.
    Married in 2011, NTNP until early 2012, TTC since early 2012

My husband was diagnosed with state IV colon cancer in 2009. Surgery and six rounds of chemo left him in remission (yay!) but with low testosterone. He took Androgel for two years starting in Jan 2011.
    -SA in Jan 2013: big fat zero; stopped Androgel
    -varicocelectomy in June 2013
    -SA in Dec 2013: 23mil/ml, really low morph
    -SA in March 2014: Count doubled! Morphology apparently no longer an issue.

Treatments:
    April 2014: hysteroscopy
    June 2014: TI (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel: 2 folliclces) = BFN
    July 2014: IUI#1 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1 follicle, 23mil post-wash) = BFN
    August 2014: IUI#2 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1 follicle, 43mil post-wash) = BFN
    September 2014: IUI#3 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 2 follicles, 15mil post-wash) = BFN
    October 2014: IUI#4 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1-2 follicles, 12mil post-wash) = BFN
    November 2014: IUI#5 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel: 1 follicle, 23mil post-wash) = BFN
    December 2014: IUI#6 (gonal-f/ovidrel): 2 follicles, 55mil post-wash) = ???

*all are welcome!*

• I spoke to another nurse who confirmed, and I'm also now on Mucinex to also try to help.  Has anyone here also been diagnosed with the acidic issue?  Wondering if others haven't heard of it because they didn't have the same thing or because this really is an unusual course of action for this specific issue.  

Should be interesting!
  • ha! point taken.  
  • I actually was prescribed a baking soda douche by my RE after dismal PCT tests. A repeat PCT test showed that the baking soda did improve the motility of the sperm in the mucus, but it didn't help us get pregnant. We went on to do 3 IUIs with my RE (all failed) and 3 IVFs (1 cancelled ET, 1 c/p, and 1 BFN). We are currently working with another RE and a RI (reproductive immunologist) for our 4th IVF.

Mucinex as far as I know will help thin CM if your CM is too thick, but I don't think it will affect the acidity. 

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I'm curious, was the post coital test a standard test your RE does or did your RE have reason to do the post coital? My RE didn't test me for this, or even bring it up as a possible reason for my infertility, but I've always wondered if maybe my vagina was too acidic for my hubby's sperm too.
    Me: 37 DH: 37, married since Sept. 2013. "actively" TTC for a total of 13 months (after 7 months of TTC, took a 1 1/2 year hiatus due to work scheduling and wedding planning. Started up again after our wedding in Sept.) First evaluation by an RE November 2013

HSG-normal
    OH-tiny polyp found, but RE assured me she doesn't think it's contributing to infertility and doesn't recommend me to remove it because it's so small.
    DH's SA-normal
    Hormones all within normal levels
    Ovarian Reserve-RE says "is great" she's not concerned about my egg quantity (which I was until I saw her and results came back good!) 

04/2012 50mg Clomid=BFN (prescribed by OBGYN, not monitored)
    06/2012 50mg Clomid=BFN (prescribed by OBGYN, not monitored)
    11/2013 100mg Clomid, with HCG trigger=BFN (prescribed by RE, monitored with US (2 dominant follicles) and baseline bloodwork done)
    01/2014 100mg Clomid, with HCG trigger-(prescribed by RE, monitored with US-1 dominant follicle)=BFN
    06/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, HCG trigger (prescribed by RE, monitored with US-2 dominant follicles), IUI #1 on 7/3/14=BFN
    07/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, benched for IUI#2 this cycle, because I ovulated on my own before my follicular US. Progesterone suppositories=BFN Diagnosed with PCOS this month too. Testosterone levels high at 76. =( 
    08/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, HCG trigger with 19mm follicle. IUI#2 on 8/31 cancelled last minute due to family emergency. 
    09/2014 Taking a 3 month break starting this month. If not pregnant in 3 months, will start up again with medicated cycles and IUIs. Had all my labs and AFC re-evaluated this month also. RE says nothing much has changed since my eval last November, okay for me to take a little break. =) 

• This is my second full month with them, but that was my first post-coital.  So it seems fairly standard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"