Baby Names
Options

Another Poll - Girl Names

tee18tee18 member
edited September 2014 in Baby Names
Please tell me if it's bad form to post so many polls! I've done a few in the last few months.

My H FINALLY stopped vetoing everything in sight and added in some names! :)

We're loving Cara, I think, but would love to know your thoughts in general. I posted about Noelle earlier, but that has been vetoed. Please vote & give me your thoughts!

LATE EDIT - we are pronouncing Cara - CARE-ah if it matters.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Another Poll - Girl Names 241 votes

Cara
32% 78 votes
Emily
11% 28 votes
Anna
21% 52 votes
Bryn
9% 22 votes
Claire
25% 61 votes

Re: Another Poll - Girl Names

• Options
    I really really like Cara.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    I love Anna. Emily is pretty too, but too popular at this point (three friends have LOs named Emily). I like Cara. Not a fan of Claire. Bryn is interesting but I prefer multiple syllables.
    Miscarriage in January 2012 at 8 weeks
    Subsequently diagnosed with low P4, LOR. MH DX low motility, varicocele 
    BFP in July 2012 (Gonal-f + trigger + IUI#2 (B2B) + prometrium)
    Lost Baby A prior to 7 weeks; large SCH; Baby B (Bug) was born in March 2013
    BFP June 2014; EDD February 19, 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mjreilly2 said:
    1. Claire
    2. Anna

Emily and Cara are fine, just NMS.

Bryn is not a girl name. It is a masculine Welsh name. I picture an old Welsh man drinking tea and playing chess along the coast in Mumbles. It is like naming a girl George.
    Exactly what @mjreilly2 said, except I always use Paul not George as the example of why Bryn should never ever ever ever ever ever be used for a girl.
    Oh and I like Claire spelt like Clare

• Options

1. Anna

2. Emily

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I like Cara or Anna...Noelle would work well as a middle name too, I really like Cara Noelle
  • Options
    I like Cara, but I think if you want it pronounced that way (Care-ah), she's going to be correcting people her whole life. 
  • Options
    LOVE Claire. Anna would be my second pick, Cara a distant third.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    I voted Anna but also like Claire a lot.  Emily and Cara are also nice. 
  • Options

I like Cara, but I think if you want it pronounced that way (Care-ah), she's going to be correcting people her whole life. 

I disagree. Around here, it's pronounced Care-ah. Must be a location thing?

Me: 26   DH: 26
    Together since November 2006        Married September 5, 2011
    TTC #1 since August 2013           BFP on September 4, 2014
    Baby Girl due on May 11, 2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love Cara (pronounced Care-uh) as one of my bff's is named that. Personally love Claire as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been so helpful.
  • Options
    I'm sorry - but there are people who pronounce Cara as Care-ah ?!?! really !?!

• Options
    Um, yea, it's my name. I dislike car-ah, I think it sounds pretentious. She will have to correct people but it's a pretty simple thing to do. 

• Options
    tee18tee18 member
    edited October 2014
    evaazalea said:

Um, yea, it's my name. I dislike car-ah, I think it sounds pretentious. She will have to correct people but it's a pretty simple thing to do. 

-------quote --------
    Op here. Earlier today I made a poll on my bmb (Feb 15) to see what the majority was there on the pronunciation. It currently is 73% pronouncing cara like care-ah, rhyming with Sarah with ~136 votes total. According to what I've read, both are correct pronunciations.

Eta not that my little poll is very scientific :)
  • Options
    @ColeRose @evaazalea @tee18
    It must be an American thing, it is always Car-ah here, it isn't even a consideration or thought. That is just how it is said

• Options
    You mean some people pronounce Cara car-ah? @pipeTsquared‌ you must live in a different part of America than the five+ different parts that I've lived in. Or more likely I'm just clueless.

And I had to be evil and vote for Bryn. Now I kinda regret it since people say it's as masculine as George or Paul. It's just that I'd never heard the name before coming to TB, and to my eyes and ears it looks/sounds very lovely and feminine. Well maybe just cute and girly.
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    j&jNY said:
    You mean some people pronounce Cara car-ah? @pipeTsquared‌ you must live in a different part of America than the five+ different parts that I've lived in. Or more likely I'm just clueless. And I had to be evil and vote for Bryn. Now I kinda regret it since people say it's as masculine as George or Paul. It's just that I'd never heard the name before coming to TB, and to my eyes and ears it looks/sounds very lovely and feminine. Well maybe just cute and girly.
    @j&jNY 
    As I said in another reply, I'm in the UK, it is always Car-ah here, it isn't even a debate and not even a postscript, that is just how you say it. 
    And trust me, Bryn is the opposite to cute and girly

• Options
    I like Cara (with Care-ah pronunciation) and Claire. I also like Clara as pp suggested.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"