December 2014 Moms
Options

Newbie/FTM questions?

Re: Newbie/FTM questions?

• Options
    Cheekers2010Cheekers2010 member
    edited October 2014
    Anna930 said:
    Here's a question that the answer is probably "suck it up and deal for the next 2 months".  I have a job where I sit for 8 hours a day.  I lean back as much as I can but obviously typing I have to be pretty upright.  The last week or so my ribs have been killing me when I have to sit upright for so long as if they're spreading on one side (probably because they are!).  Has anyone found any relief for this? Would it help to ice/warm that side in the evening when I'm home?  Any stretches that might help?

I'm carrying pretty low, but when sitting the rib pressure is a lot.  Will certainly also ask at my birthing class on Thursday
    Hey,  I would switch to sitting on an exercise ball.  I think you'll be far more comfortable and as a bonus it helps with baby positioning and pelvic health.

eta:  Ooops.  Sorry @sysakbaby.  Just saw you said the same thing.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    @leosmom25 - What a bummer, but yeah, I definitely wouldn't be flying during cold/flu season with a 4 week old.  We did take my DS on a 2 hour flight when he was 8 weeks old (and of course not fully vax'd) but I was paranoid the whole time.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @slaps @Cheekers2010 @leosmom25 thanks for the feedback! I think if we decide to go I will probably wear the baby. I also have no problem playing the paranoid FTM card if lots of people ask to hold her, which I still anticipate but again really don't want to take chances of her catching something.
    We traveled with DD to my SIL's house about 2 hours away when DD was about 4-5 weeks old and that ride wasn't bad at all.  I barely remember it so it couldn't have been that bad. ;) 

However I do remember the ride for Thanksgiving (about the same distance) when she was about 6-7 weeks where she cried the whole time and we kept having to stop to try to feed her and see what was wrong.  I would make the trip if I were you, just make sure to plan extra time because you just never know what mood they will be in that day!  Also I found traveling in the morning was better than the afternoon/night. Wake up, feed her, and get on the road so she would usually fall back asleep.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited October 2014
    ninee88 said:
    How big was your stomach a few days post birth? How long did it take to not look pregnant? I know there was a thread on this a while back, but just curious for a little more input. I certainly wasn't in fabulous shape pre-pregnancy, but had sort of just assumed I'd go back to pre pregnancy (plus a little extra skin maybe?) within a week or so. When I went to one the hospital's classes there was a mom there 1 month PP and and still had quite a belly (maybe 6 months along looking?) Is this normal or does it just take a while?
    My stomach returned to its normal position, which wasn't flat, more like a soft pooch similar to 4 months pregnant or so, after delivery. I gained 25 lbs with my first, and was down 32 by two weeks postpartum. I lost 7 lbs from pre-preg (maintained that loss throughout my pregnancy) with my second, and lost over 20 lbs by two weeks postpartum. With my third, I believe I gained 20 lbs (mostly edema and excess amnio fluid), and was down 30 within a couple weeks. I lost 20 lbs by 13 weeks with my fourth, and gained back about 12 of it. So I never made it back up to pre-preg weight. I weighed myself the day after I had him and was down 16 lbs, and about a week later I lost just under 10 more.

But I was much heavier at the start of those pregnancies, in which case weight loss or maintenance is common. This time, I've gained just over 30 lbs already, have been maintaining that for over a month. I imagine I'll drop about half of that after delivery, and the rest will come off in the coming weeks. Involution happens quickly after my births, and while my tummy remains soft for a little while, I don't look pregnant even shortly after giving birth.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    NELSMDNELSMD member
    edited October 2014
    Also, don't look at your crotch any time after delivery. Just don't.

How do you clean yourself after delivery when all swollen and sore? I saw mention of squirt bottles? I can't see how that would do the job if there's so much blood involved. I dread washing down there when I'm sore from my period or a yeast infection; I can't imagine the level of uncomfortable...

Ahhhh quote fail, @twolittledogs‌
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• Options
    katehgee said:
    Should DH and I go to a breastfeeding class before baby is born?  I just keep thinking that it seems stupid to go to a class without a baby.  The hospital has lactation consultants and it seems the latch is one of the main issues.  Do you think there's enough for us to learn before the baby is born?
    I've been told that it's a waste to do too much breast feeding prep before the baby comes, and that the classes are really only helpful when you can participate. My childbirth class had a brief info session about general breast feeding info, and I'm planning to attend as many classes in the hospital after the baby is born and then the hosital's weekly classes post-partum until we feel comfortable.
    I have a similar question. I attended an Infant CPR and Baby Care class this weekend. The hour of Infant CPR and Choking was really the only reason I signed us up. But the rest of the 6 hour class was kind of pointless. 

We are signed up for a two hour breastfeeding class and a 6 hour childbirth class. Based on this past class over the weekend, do we really need these? They kept telling us how all the nurses are trained to walk us through all this stuff they were teaching us. And I know lactation consultants are there while I'm in the hospital to help me, as well as the nurses--I've been told they have all been trained to help with breastfeeding. So why am I taking all these darn classes?!
  • Options
    @Nine88, it took me 9 months to put the weight on, and 9-10 months to take it off. I looked pregnant still for about 6 weeks. But even 3 months after delivery, things fit differently. Even a year later, I had stubborn flabby areas. It's different for everyone, but most moms I know had at least some lasting changes to their bodies. 
    D14 November Siggy Challenge - How I Feel 3rd Tri:
    imageimageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Should DH and I go to a breastfeeding class before baby is born?  I just keep thinking that it seems stupid to go to a class without a baby.  The hospital has lactation consultants and it seems the latch is one of the main issues.  Do you think there's enough for us to learn before the baby is born?
    FTM, but IRL, I'm in a group for expecting moms (many of whom are now moms with newborns).  A few of those who have already had their LOs recommended going to one or two local LLL meetings while pregnant.  It's not so much to learn about breastfeeding, but to get to know the local leaders and such.  That way you've already formed a relationship if you need any support afterwards.  Not sure if all LLL groups are like this, but ours seems pretty awesome, and the local leaders (which include a lactation consultant) will talk to you one the phone, and sometimes even come to your house post-partum if you've having trouble and need a little bit of support.
  • Options
    SLC1102 said:

Another question for all you STMs- when did you have your hospital bag packed?  This question came up on a local FB mom/pregnant group I'm in and some people were saying they were packed by 32 weeks...which seems CRAZY to me...but mainly because that's like next week.  TIA.

Maybe 36-37weeks? I made a list of things I needed but couldn't pack til go time. Makeup, toiletries, phone charger etc. I didn't really bring much. I wore home the same clothes I wore there- yoga pants and a t-shirt. I got dressed 5 min before we left so I didn't wear them long.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    @LovesBooks‌ I did a lot of my own research but still took a childbirth class. I didn't really learn much but DH did learn what to expect and how to be a good labor coach. If you are doing your research online or in books you prob won't learn much but it might be helpful for YH. Even though the nurses are there, you will still need to be able to advocate for yourself.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I have a random question for moms that have/do breast feed. And it may be TMI for those that are prudish...

My boobs are an important part of my sexual stimulation with my DH and I'm concerned that breast feeding will ruin the sexy-ness of them for me. Not in a physical way, but in a mental 'these are now the tools used to feed my child, not toys for sex' way. Is this common? Does it go away? If so, will it take months??
    You may feel different when you actually have the baby. BFing is not at all sexual so it wasn't a problem for me to separate the function vs pleasure.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited October 2014

I have a random question for moms that have/do breast feed. And it may be TMI for those that are prudish...

My boobs are an important part of my sexual stimulation with my DH and I'm concerned that breast feeding will ruin the sexy-ness of them for me. Not in a physical way, but in a mental 'these are now the tools used to feed my child, not toys for sex' way. Is this common? Does it go away? If so, will it take months??

I'll be honest, in the months that I was BF-ing, hubby knew to stay away from the boobs. It just weirded me out. Took awhile after weaning to be okay with him messing around with them and even now, (DD2 is almost 8) boob-play is no where near as 'fun' for me as it was pre-kids. (Not that he enjoys them less, just doesn't 'do it for me' anymore.) I'm sure it's all very individual.

-----QBF-----

Individual except when your creepy evil Internet twin posts the exact thing you were going to...

Seriously, @3girlsnthepup‌ you and I were related in a former life. :D

Except that after a few years, boob at started doing it for me again.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    amw0914 said:

For me it was weird beforehand thinking about breast feeding. But when I did breast feed it was completely different and didn't really bother me. (Especially in the beginning when they hurt so bad and breast feeding gave me utter relief from engorgment!)

For me, there was probably a good 2-3 months post partum where my boobs were sort of off-limits due to leaking and cracked nips. And I was never able to go straight from nursing to sexy time -- always needed at least 30 minutes between. 

Just be patient with yourself and communicate with your H. Even if you're never comfortable with the same things you used to be, just try more stimulation of other areas. 

Also, FWIW, I had to work at making sex a priority. I was so tired most of the first year. But it always helped make life seem brighter and better if I felt connected to H, and sex was a huge help with that for us. 

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    With my first I had to have my H pack it at 31wks because I went into PTL and thought he was coming. When I got home a week later (thankfully still pregnant) I washed everything and repacked it just in case.

With my second I had it packed around 35wks.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Did you have your DH or SO go with you to the breast feeding class?
  • Options
    Did you have your DH or SO go with you to the breast feeding class?
    I took a bf class that was 4 weeks long, 8 2hr classes all together. There were 2 "partner" nights where the other parent was asked to come. My H did not go to any other classes than those two nights.

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    Boob play has been out of the question since DD long ago. I didn't mind it before I had her. But since BF her, they are basically a "Look, but don't touch". If I'm reeeeally into the sex, then it's ok. But not for for play. It's just not something for me. DH will sneak a grab here and there and I want to kick him in the balls. (Sometimes he gets a nut tap)

You might be ok though. I loved sex before DD. I pushed a baby out of there and I was traumatized but it didn't stop me from loving sex.

imageimageimageimage
    November Siggy Challenge: How I feel in the Third Trimester 
            image   image   image
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    While breastfeeding boobs are completely off limit. Once I'm done and not leaking anymore it's back on.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @Nelsmd I found that if I dinner the bottle with warm water and sprayed it very gently then wiped off with a warm wet baby wash cloth it really helped. Then I sprayed it all up with the dermoplast.
    @ashtonkitty1‌ we didn't attend any classes for ds and won't be with this one. I had trouble with the latch but I still don't think a class would have helped
    @LadyThrice‌ my H doesn't love boobs but he has a thing for nipples. Ever since having Leo I haven't been into boob play at all but I let him have his fun cuz I know he loves it. It's not that I couldn't separate the BF from sexy time I just didn't think of my boobs as a tool for sex anymore after used to feed my son. Hopefully some day it'll come back for me.

Edit cuz somehow half of it got lost

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

• Options
    nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited October 2014
    @MJLovey‌ there is nothing wrong with formula if that is what you want to do, but if you want to BF I wouldn't let them give it to your LO in the beginning. You need to let your LO nurse as much as possible especially at first because practice makes perfect. Most hospitals have an LC on staff. They will help a lot! They watched him latch, helped me fix it, gave me tips on different holds, etc. Such an amazing resource. Also they don't need much in the beginning so you definitely won't starve your baby if BFing doesn't go really well in the beginning.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    MJLovey said:

I love this thread, I feel like I learn so much from it!

Question about breastfeeding again...my MIL said that if my LO doesnt do well breastfeeding while we are at the hospital and well after we get home, that I should let the nurses give him formula because withholding formula doesn't accomplish anything. I always heard that if you give formula too early in initial days that it leads to nipple confusion and all sorts of things that make breastfeeding difficult or impossible later...is my MIL right? She's given me bad advice in the past (latest is that tdap is unnecessary because babies need to be exposed to things) so I have no idea on this.

On one hand, I def want to try to BF as much as possible and make it as successful as I have the ability to, on the other, if she's right and formula doesn't hurt BF success in the beginning I don't want to starve my baby either.

FWIW, I ignore most of her idiot beliefs and def got my tdap shot and will be vaccinating LO on schedule.

Everything I read now supports what you are saying buuuuut when I had DD she had a hard time latching in the hospital. And the poor thing was starving so I didn't say No to them feeding her. Before I was discharged I was able to speak to one of the nurses about BF and she showed me how to help DD latch. She took off from then on just fine. She was, and still is, a little piggy when it comes to eating.

Needless to say, I personally don't feel that a few feedings of formula while in the hospital is going to completely distroy your chances at BF. But I wouldn't continue supplementing formula for BM when you get home without giving BF a good go.

imageimageimageimage
            image   image   image
  • Options
    The thing with supplementing with formula is that breastfeeding is a supply/demand process. So if your baby is on a bottle, your breasts are not getting the stimuli that tell them to produce more milk. 

You may want to pump if you supplement or bottle feed early on.

Kellymom.com is a fantastic breastfeeding resource with a great search function!

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    SLC1102 said:

Another question...what do you put/keep in your diaper bag besides uh...diapers and wipes? Probably a stupid question but let's pretend I don't have kids and have never used a diaper bag before...

For the new baby:
    Diapers ( for a newborn, I take one for each hour I expect to be out of the house)
    Wipes (at least two travel packs if not a full size)
    Diaper Cream
    Change of clothes for baby (at least one full outfit if not two)
    Burp cloth
    Blanket (muslin swaddle blanket)
    Hand sanitizer
    Pacifier wipes (in case of dropped bottles or pacifier)
    Bottles
    Formula/water (if ff)
    Toy/teether
    Baby wearing wrap
    My wallet and personal items (don't carry a purse too)

I will also have to pack diapers, sippy cups, a first aid kit, and toys for my toddlers too.
  • Options
    SLC1102 said:
    Another question...what do you put/keep in your diaper bag besides uh...diapers and wipes? Probably a stupid question but let's pretend I don't have kids and have never used a diaper bag before...

Burp clothes

bibs

blanket

powder

hand sanitzer

formula travel packs if needed

some teething toy

change of baby clothes

hat

sunscreen/skin protectant

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    SLC1102 said:
    My bag is both purse and diaper bag. It has tons of pockets but looks more purse than diaper bag, which is nice. I have designated pockets for kiddo stuff and my stuff.

For a breast-fed newborn, going out for a couple of hours, one diaper/hour. Wipes. A muslin swaddle will work as burp cloth, nursing cover, and blanket. 

...That's about all I routinely carried. 

Spare clothes in the car.

For an older infant or toddler, a small container of snacks and/or a squeezy pouch, a sippy for water, a small toy. 

I have never felt the need to have hand sanitizer or neosporin or nail clippers or anything like that just for daily out and about.

I do have a separate diaper bag for when DS goes to grandparents while I work, and it tends to be more full with things like sunscreen, a hat, spare clothes, plenty of diapers and wipes, food/drink. 

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    What's the first PP poop like? Is it as scary as people make it out to be? Bloody? Painful? 
    I know this is probably asked and answered and I'm only on page 1 of this missive, but it's usually as horrible as you think it's going to be, unfortunately.   I broke our toilet.  BROKE IT.  My husband had to buy a special snake to fix it. 

I didn't push a baby out of my ho-ha but I did push something the size of a baby out my rear end.    TAKE STOOL SOFTENERS and plan for an hour in the bathroom that first time.   
    Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, but also a stepmom to a 13yo boy...I'm curious about people's experiences with bringing home baby to stepsiblings or older siblings who might be in their teens. An add-on is how you handled breastfeeding with a teenage boy in the house (doubly weird because he's not my bio kid). I might be overthinking it, but curious to hear your experiences!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SLC1102 said:

Bare minimum....

Diapers
    Wipes
    Cream
    Foldy travel changing pad thingy
    Change of clothes

imageimageimageimage
            image   image   image
  • Options
    mgk207 said:

I'm a FTM, but also a stepmom to a 13yo boy...I'm curious about people's experiences with bringing home baby to stepsiblings or older siblings who might be in their teens. An add-on is how you handled breastfeeding with a teenage boy in the house (doubly weird because he's not my bio kid). I might be overthinking it, but curious to hear your experiences!

Might be irrelevant, I was adopted because my mother couldn't have children. My dad had 3 to a previous marriage, my sisters were 10, 12, and 18 when I was born. They videotaped bringing me in the house and my sisters were excited. My parents didn't have full custody so I am sure they were cranky when the middle of the night wake ups occurred if they were there. But my sisters were never cruel and always made it a point to include me as much as they could when I was younger and help out as much as they could. As for the breastfeeding, if you are uncomfortable in front of him, I would go in my bedroom or the nursery with a shut door. I think if it is someone other than my husband in my home, I am going to try to do this. This may change after the baby is born because I am a FTM also and may not give a shit after a certain point.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    mgk207 said:
    My BF's youngest sister was born when she was 14 and her mom would BF in front of all her kids (son included) plus me, acting like it was the most common/natural thing to do.  She'd even bust them out to start while mid talk to me.  After the first googly eyes I got when seeing, cause you can't help but stare and prego breasts are different, it didn't bother us or my BF brother and he was 11.  You could try feeding in a natural setting and let him see you after the baby is latched so there's no exposure.  let him see how it makes both of you feel and when it's over, you can ask him if it bothers him.  he might surprise you and just say it looks painful or gross.  That's what my BF brother said lol

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    katehgee said:

Here's one for all you breast feeding mamas who will eventually have to pump at work.

I've already got my pump here sitting in a box, but when do you actually start washing all the parts, getting it ready, etc.? Do you wash everything before baby gets here so it's ready? Would it still be sanitary? Or do you just wait til 6 or 8 weeks PP (or whenever you'll start introducing a bottle or two a day) and wash everything right before you use it?

I waited to wash everything until I was ready to use it. The Medela steam bags work great.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Okay, I've got another dumb FTM question... Can someone explain to me what happens to our bodies when we breastfeed and how it makes magical things happen like no periods? I'm assuming you ovulate while breastfeeding right?
    I actually got my period even though I was BF. However I do know that even without the period yes, you can still get pregnant which has to mean you ovulate.

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

• Options
    In response to BF'ing in front of step son. I'd say talk about it but if he's uncomfortable I guarantee you he will get up and leave. You're right that at the very least he is seeing breasts being used for what they are meant for and this could seriously be beneficial in the future. He could be pro-breast feeding with his own wife someday.

In reference to breast feeding and getting pregnant. It certainly can happen. My DD was 9 months old before I got my period. We had sex without condoms and were lucky I guess. Typically it's "better" bc when the baby is EXCLUSIVLY breastfed. No bottle, no solids and around the clock feedings. When you start deiviating from that is when you become more likely to get pg.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    For those looking to give breast feeding a shot - https://kellymom.com/ is an awesome resource and very trusted among most BF groups I've been a part of.   
    Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012
  • Options
    SLC1102 said:
    Okay, I've got another dumb FTM question... Can someone explain to me what happens to our bodies when we breastfeed and how it makes magical things happen like no periods? I'm assuming you ovulate while breastfeeding right?
    So they actually talked about this in class last night.  While breastfeeding can make it so you no longer have a period, you DO still ovulate.  The instructor said "So you all know what that means, right?!?!?!  Unless the goal is 2 in a very short time, talk with your doctors about birth control options."
    This is a depends on the person kinda thing.  You can't assume that you aren't ovulating (great way to have a baby as the pps anecdotes prove) but many women don't.  I was really lucky and my period didn't return until about 3 months after I stopped bfing.  It was awesome.  I would assume I started ovulating before that.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Options
    I bled/spotted for like 12wks after and then a month later started my period with both boys. So jealous of those that don't have a period while BFing.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Ladies I searched but couldn't find anything substantial to help me. Is pepto bismol okay?! Some say yes and some say no but I think I ate something terrible and need some relief because I feel miserable and I don't know what to take!!!! :-(
    based on everything I've seen and been told it is NOT ok after 20 weeks and to be used with caution before. have you tried anything else like ginger? vinegar? 
    First Time Mom

ITS A BOY!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"