Pregnant after a Loss

~*~2T and 3T Discussion~*~

Hi ladies!  Yesterday, @footprint had the great idea of creating a place for those of us in the 2nd and 3rd tri to discuss questions and concerns related to these trimesters.  This isn't a check-in, but an open discussion so you can pop in when you need to.  A number of people said they liked the idea so here it is!  I am about to reach 38 weeks so I don't feel comfortable running this past this week.  If you'd like to run it, please let me know!!  Also, @footprint has offered to run this if someone takes over the 1st tri check-in. 

Since this is the first time we're doing this, feel free to offer suggestions!!

Welcome to the 2nd and 3rd trimester discussion forum!  Many of us feel that PgAL is our home and a safe place.  Here, we know that we will get the support we need.  Maybe you are active in your BMB or maybe you never joined.  Either way, many of us would love to discuss our questions and concerns that come up during the later stages of pregnancy here.

In this discussion forum, you can ask a question, post about a concern, or just vent.  If you want to ask a question anonymously, PM the discussion leader and she will post the question for you.
Me- 29, DH - 28
BFP #1 9/27/2013, EDD 6/10/2014, Mmc 11/01/2013, completed with misoprostol 11/8/2013
BFP #2 2/5/2014, EDD 10/15/2014, Lillian Verletta born 10/23/14
Daisypath Friendship tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PAL January Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: ~*~2T and 3T Discussion~*~

• I actually have a question for any BTDT ladies.  I keep wondering if things are a sign of impending labor.  I'd like Lilly to stay in there until Wednesday at the earliest, so I am not wanting to go into labor today.  Tomorrow night would be ok, though.  Lol. 

In any case, Friday I was feeling really good.  I had some energy, I got things done, cleaned a bunch, and I felt very chipper.  Over the weekend, I started to not feel great.  Not really like a cold or anything, just generally very tired, achy, and my stomach has been a bit upset.  I also have had some random pains in my back and lower belly area.  The weirdest thing was yesterday when she was particularly active, I had a spasm in the top of my thighs, first on the left and then on the right about 20min later.  I guess my question is, does any of this sound like labor is coming soon or am I just suffering from normal 3rd tri ups and downs?  In the end, I know she's going to come when she is ready, but I'm such a control freak I can't help but wonder.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
    BFP #1 9/27/2013, EDD 6/10/2014, Mmc 11/01/2013, completed with misoprostol 11/8/2013
  • @classicstar28‌ Thanks for posting! I think your spurts of energy followed by feeling tired and achey sounds like normal 3rd tri stuff. I had a c/s with DD and never actually went into labor, but the last couple weeks I would get spurts of energy and go into nesting mode. I HAD to clean things! Lol I had organize and cook and do laundry. Then after words I would get super tired. If I really over did it my bump would burn.
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Momtobe85 I don't have it but someone posted on my BMB about it today, https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12450771/irritable-uterus-anyone#latest.

My question is whether anyone else is waking up with joint pain and stiffness in hands and feet first thing in the morning?  I googled and only came up with carpal tunnel but I get it in my feet too, those first few steps out of bed are killer.  Fingers/hands/feet are swollen, stiff, and sore.  My blood pressure is fine and I think I'm drinking enough, I don't know if it's just normal pain or if there's such a thing as pregnancy-induced arthritis?  It started about 2 weeks ago.  Any tips for joint pain besides tylenol and propping up feet?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• classicstar28classicstar28 member
    edited September 2014
    @mmheartspb Not really. I do kegels here and there and I stretch, particularly my legs.  Other than that, I don't really exercise except for my short walks around the neighborhood.  What I am doing on a daily basis is practicing breathing.  It is amazing how hard it is to relax and breath during pain or a contraction.  We held ice packs in my birth class to practice, but I have BH so often that I typically use those to practice now.  Sometimes I have DH practice with me before bed because he needs to be ready to help me when the time comes.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
    edited September 2014
    @rox835 YES!!  My fingers, toes, and ankles have been stiff and hurting the last couple of weeks.  Mine is definitely from swelling.  I can't wear my rings and most of my cute flats don't fit anymore.  I'm not super swollen to the point that someone else might notice, but I can tell.  I have read that the extra fluid can cause the joints to hurt.

ETA: I haven't found anything that helps with the pain.  It seems to get better as I walk or use my hands, but never all the way.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
  • @meagpt22 said:
    *SNIP*
    I guess I hope my water breaks so that way I'll know haha.
    That's how I feel too!!  I am scared that I'll somehow miss that I'm in labor.  But I'm equally scared that my water will break and it'll just be a tiny drip and I'll miss that, too.  I'm kind of hoping for that big unmistakable gush or even some kind of constant stream so I don't have to wonder.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
  • Thanks @classicstar28 @meagpt22 and @Birch113, glad to know it's fairly common, although sorry you guys are dealing with it too!  The trying to walk after being on heels all night is a good way to describe it.  Guess it's from the extra fluid and weight.

And thanks @classicstar28 for reminding me that our instructor told us to practice breathing while holding handfuls of ice too, and I haven't yet!

Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs

• Any ladies doing any exercises to help prepare for labor and delivery? I'm just not sure if it is necessary or what. I'm a FTM and was just curious what everyone else was doing...
    @mmheartspb -- I have been trying to sit on my exercise ball more and will theoretically be doing my yoga regularly; both are supposed to help get the baby into position and do some gentle stretching.

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

• In any case, Friday I was feeling really good.  I had some energy, I got things done, cleaned a bunch, and I felt very chipper.  Over the weekend, I started to not feel great.  Not really like a cold or anything, just generally very tired, achy, and my stomach has been a bit upset.  I also have had some random pains in my back and lower belly area.  The weirdest thing was yesterday when she was particularly active, I had a spasm in the top of my thighs, first on the left and then on the right about 20min later.  I guess my question is, does any of this sound like labor is coming soon or am I just suffering from normal 3rd tri ups and downs?  In the end, I know she's going to come when she is ready, but I'm such a control freak I can't help but wonder.
    @classicstar28 -- the thing that sticks out to me is your upset stomach. That can definitely be a sign of impending labor b/c the body is trying to clean you out, as it were, before delivery. Sending you T&P for a safe and speedy labor when it's time!

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

• Momtobe85 said:
    @mmheartspb‌ we do lots of kegels, squats, hip opening stretches, low lunges, etc. In my prenatal yoga class and all are great for preparing the body for labor and delivery. One of my yoga teachers says the best thing you can do to prepare your body, even if you only have 30 seconds each day, is a low yogi squat. You can sit on something to support the hips or not if you don't need to. I found a random pic online but ignore the weird leotard this chick is wearing :) it opens the hips and strengthens the muscles of the legs.
    This! I've definitely heard that squatting is the best thing to add to your day. And I have a daily reminder on my phone to do kegels. 

Also, in my prenatal yoga class we will hold a pose (any pose) and then practice letting the other muscles we don't actual need relax. I'm a FTM so I could be wrong, but I think this will be helpful practice. I actually do it now anytime I notice I'm tense or have a pain, as a way to try to relax around the pain instead of tighten up over it. 
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• @kaylam714 I started to pack around 32 weeks.  At first I only packed a couple of things I knew I wouldn't use.  Then, maybe 2 weeks ago, I packed another wave of stuff including the baby's bag.  I have just today packed it as much as I am going to until it's actually time.  There are a few things that we'll have to grab (toothbrushes, DH's glasses, phones and their chargers) right before we leave, but we have all of our clothes, pillows, snacks, entertainment stuff, and shower items ready to go.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
  • I was wondering when everyone felt movement, I'm 18w and this is the farthest I've been pg (my first pregnancy only made it to 9w). I haven't felt any flutters or what could be kicks yet, and of course my PGAL brain is going a little crazy because of it.
    I didn't start to feel movement that I could definitely recognize as movement until 19-20 weeks.

• @racegurl87‌ I started to feel something around 18/19 weeks. It felt like tiny muscle spasms. I honestly didn't know what they were until my anatomy scan. Felt a real proper kick around 20 week and felt them on the outside around 22 weeks.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
  • I was wondering when everyone felt movement, I'm 18w and this is the farthest I've been pg (my first pregnancy only made it to 9w). I haven't felt any flutters or what could be kicks yet, and of course my PGAL brain is going a little crazy because of it.

My placenta is anterior and I'm a bigger gal, so I didn't really notice anything until about 25wks. Early on I had a lot of gas & constipation, so I could've felt baby but chalked it up to gas.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Hawkward said:
    Other BTDTs, are Braxton Hicks a lot more intense for you this time around? This morning I had some contractions that kind of freaked me out. After a few hours of lying on the couch drinking water, they're gone, but they were strong enough to think about calling the doctor. 
    Actually, with my first, my BH were worse.  I had NOTHING with my second until the doc broke my water in the hospital.  With my first, I went to the hospital twice on false alarms. With my second, I spent 3 days walking around all day hoping to kick labor into gear.  I was nearly 4 cm dilated but was feeling absolutely no contractions. Once my water broke, however, they were fast and intense.

Anniversary
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
      DS #1 born 8/3/06, DS #2 born 10/2/08
    TTC since 8/13 BFP 11/27/13, EDD: 8/3/14
    US 12/9 found 2 Gestational Sacs, MC 12/10/13 6w3d
    BFP #4 5/15/14, EDD: 1/25/14, HB 6/4/14 Movement 8/13/14
    All Welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image

I started feeling little kicks fairly regularily between 18-19 weeks but they were very low, around my belt line only. Then about half way through my 20th week they pretty much stopped all together for about 3 days, which had me panicked. My midwife explained LO was probably going through a growth spurt and sleeping long stretches which is why I was having decreased movement. After the 3 days passed I started feeling regular movement again but up higher and all over the place so the growth spurt explanation was probably correct.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Anniversary

TTC Since 04/01/13 

BFP #1 04/28/13 Its twins! EDD 01/08/2014 MMC confirmed 06/27/13 D&C 07/17/13

BFP#2 05/19/14 EDD 01/30/2015 Please be our rainbow!

My Ovulation Chart

*~*~* All AL Welcome*~*~*

• Hawkward said:
    @classicstar28 That's what latent labor was like for me. I walked around for weeks like that and was eventually induced with DS, so although it's a good sign, it's not necessarily a "labor is imminent" sign.
    Yes, this was true for me too. I would go through periods of Braxton-hicks contractions every 10-15 minutes for 2-3 hours and then they would stop. That started at about 34 weeks. The week before her induction at 38w was miserable for me but I was NOT going into labor, just feeling crappy. I talked to my OB's nurse a lot during those last few weeks.

As for the water breaking discussion; only about 15% of women have ROM before labor so chances are good you'll have plenty of warning or you'll already be in the hospital. Even if it is just a trickle you will know that it is not pee and will figure it out. Even if your water breaks, labor contractions may not start for another 12-24 hours but you still need to call doc/mw ASAP. Remember you won't run out of fluid, your body keeps making it.

As for the movement discussion; I felt the baby intermittently around 18wk, and now definitely if I am laying down and taking sugar. With DD though I didn't definitely feel her until 20+ weeks and even then was not sure.

BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • @racegurl87 I was super early with movement 14 weeks with my son and about 16 weeks this time. I read on another page/post that it feels like when you are taking a fish home from the pet store in a plastic bag and they move against the plastic.

I never did pack a bag for the hospital the first time around. I kept saying I was going to, but I never did. I was 36w5d when son was born. I just made a list for my H to grab for me. I suppose I would have needed more stuff if I had actually labored at the hospital.

Married August 2003

BFP: January 8, 2012
    Due: September 5, 2012
    DS: August 14, 2012

BFP: November 5, 2013
    Due: July 11, 2014
    MMC Detected d&c: December 29, 2013 12w5d

BFP: June 10, 2014
    Due: February 16, 2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @racegurl87‌ Thanks for asking this question! I was actually going to post the same thing. I'm also 18 weeks and have been feeling what I can only describe as like a little vibration. I have no idea if that's the baby but would be very happy to feel something a little bit more definitive!
    For SuzyQ
    and all M15 loss moms
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1 12/31/13, EDD 09/12/14, MMC Discovered 02/20/14 (10w6d) Est. Loss @ 8-9w, MC 02/22/14
    BFP #2 06/25/14, EDD 02/28/15 Grow Baby, Grow!
    It's a BOY!!
    All After a Loss Welcome!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • akleng said:
    @racegurl87‌ Thanks for asking this question! I was actually going to post the same thing. I'm also 18 weeks and have been feeling what I can only describe as like a little vibration. I have no idea if that's the baby but would be very happy to feel something a little bit more definitive!
    I suspect that little vibrating is baby @akleng. That's what early movements felt like to me. Then it started to feel more like a big bubble, and then finally, obvious kicks. :)
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• I started feeling little movements about 2 weeks ago, totally random. However, this LO likes to flip around (u/s 3 weeks ago baby had head to the left, yesterday head was on the right), so I've been feeling some solid movements for the last week. Can't wait until I can feel them on the outside, so my DH and our boys can feel it, too!
  • Okay I have a question for you lovely ladies. I know headaches are totally common and I have monitored any triggers so I'm being careful. But when Tylenol and small caffeine doses do not cut it what's a girl to do? Being a FTM at 15 weeks I have run out of ideas. Any of you experienced this?
  • @racegurl87 I have an anterior placenta and did not know that until the u/s tech said something at 24 weeks.  I started to feel movement right around then, but I had to really focus in on it.  I'm 31 weeks now and just in the last 2 weeks or so have I felt the movement without really focusing on it.  All of that is enough to mess with pgal brain.  All of this to say, if you are still unsure come your A/S next week, ask your doc if you have an anterior placenta. 

@amanda33758 I don't have much advice, but the best thing I've been able to do for headaches is to try and preemptively take Tylenol.  So, when I feel a headache coming on, I take Tylenol right away rather than wait and try to tough it out.  Especially at night.  Pre-pregnancy I could go to bed with a headache and wake up fine.  Now if I have a headache when I go to bed, I still have it in the morning, and it is harder to get rid of the next day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    EDD 1- Feb 12, 2013; Ectopic Discovered June 2012; Right Tube Removed July 2, 2012
    EDD 2- Nov 2014; Stopped Growing at 6w; D&C April 2, 2013
    EDD 3- Dec 1, 2014; Fingers Crossed for a Rainbow!
    edited October 2014
    @amanda33758 I used to make a bowl of peppermint tea and inhale the steam. That has helped with tension headaches. I also have lavender bubble bath that is sometimes helpful. For migraines, the only thing that helps is taking a nap in a cool, dark room.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
  • @TheFutureMrsD‌ yeah I tried to "sleep it off/tough it out" last night and I'm now dealing with one that's is hard to get rid of. I guess maybe I need to just quit trying to be tough lol
  • @classicstar28 - thanks for starting this! I think it's a great idea. Best wishes to you on your upcoming labor and delivery!

@footprint - thanks so much for all the work you've put into the First Trimester check-in. I intended to keep posting there even though I am in the second trimester, but last week was really crazy (DH and I are planning a move this month to a bigger place which will be wonderful for when the LO comes). Anyway, I know so many of us in the first trimester have felt so comforted and gained so much knowledge as a result of the First Tri check-in, so thank you!

My current question is this: I am a FTM, will be 16 weeks tomorrow, and am wondering when I might begin feeling the baby. Can anyone tell me when you first felt flutters and kicks with your first pregnancy? I have Googled this question and have found many different answers, so I thought hearing from real-life moms might help me see when I *might* experience flutters. Of course, I know that everyone is different, but I'm just looking for a real-life range. Thanks in advance!

BFP #1 on 3/26/14.  M/C on 4/29/14 (Blighted ovum).
    BFP #2 on 7/6/14.  EDD 3/19/15. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"