1st Trimester
Options

Is sushi ok???

10 weeks pregnant and craving sushi like crazy! Going out to a sushi restaurant with friends tonight what rolls are safe to eat during pregnancy is California roll ok?
One of the sheets I got from the doctor says your not supposed to eat crab but I'm reading on so many websites about pregnant women eating California rolls?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Is sushi ok???

• Options
    you can't eat crab? i never heard that
    Anniversary
    TTC starting 8/2014 :)
    BFP 8/27/14  EDD 5/9/2015 9/25/2014 ITS TWINS!!! <3<3 
    12/25/14 twin boys <3

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I think during the 1st trimester they really want you to avoid raw seafood and seafood that contains high levels of mercury. Tuna is one of the major ones. I know there are studies out there that support this notion. There is a ton of sushi you can get that is cooked! Maybe a lobster roll, shrimp tempura roll, avocado roll....you can totally eat crab. It is just better to be safe then sorry. I don't think doctors just tell you not to eat sushi to ruin the sushi industry and be mean. There is science behind their recommendations.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been craving fish and sushi the whole pregnancy! Baby wants it, baby gets it! Moderation is key though. I don't eat it everyday, and will only go to reputable places. I say go for it!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    As a sushi-lover, I never even heard of gas station sushi until TB. That makes me want to vom.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I questioned it at my appointment yesterday. My doctor, who is a sushi eater as well, said to avoid tuna as much as possible, but to other wise enjoy, but no more than twice a month. The carbs are just too high for it to be eaten more than that.

And of course, since he said to avoid tuna, all I can think about is a spicy tuna roll.
    Mr + Mrs: 09/06/2009 
    Daddy + Mommy: #1: 07/02/2011 EDD#2: 05/22/2015
    baby development
  • Options
    My doctor said no raw fish. But I know a lot of ladies on here who's doctors say it's ok. All doctors have different opinions and practices on what they think is ok and what's not ok.

As for the crab thing, I've never heard that before. I'm gonna go ahead and say a California roll is probably fine. As is anything else cooked as PP mentioned like shrimp tempura, etc.

Me: 26   DH: 26
    Together since November 2006        Married September 5, 2011
    TTC #1 since August 2013           BFP on September 4, 2014
    Baby Girl due on May 11, 2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mmmmmm tuna.  
  • Options
    tinyjoys said:

I questioned it at my appointment yesterday. My doctor, who is a sushi eater as well, said to avoid tuna as much as possible, but to other wise enjoy, but no more than twice a month. The carbs are just too high for it to be eaten more than that.

And of course, since he said to avoid tuna, all I can think about is a spicy tuna roll.
    The carbs are too high? Am I reading that right? Some days, the only foods I can eat are carbs.

I can only imagine that this is a pregnancy brain word swap, and you meant to use a completely different word.

red

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"