October 2013 Moms

Transitioning to WCM

Explain to me the transition from formula to WCM. From what I have gathered you do some formula with some WCM and then slowly do more WCM with less formula until no you're not using formula at all. Is this right or is there something else I should know? FTM who is tired of buying formula here!

Re: Transitioning to WCM

• I was kind of wondering about the transition too. Are you supposed to slowly transition so your child's body will adapt or is it because it's a new flavor? I bought some milk tonight since dd will be one next week but I'm not too sure.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• You can do that or you can just switch. It's a little easier to ease them into it. An ounce WCM and the rest formula for 3-5 days. Then 2oz WCM, then 3oz. Once it was about 50-50 I just went to WCM when my last container of formula was gone. I didn't start switching DS1 until after his 1yr check up and go ahead from the pedi. With DS2 we are starting this weekend (he just turned 11 months) and I cleared it with his pedi.

Also if they are still getting warmed or room temp bottles I would start now slowly getting them used to drinking cold formula so it's not as big a change when they get WCM.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm giving her cold WCM with meals and to quench thirst. Then I'm still doing her regular bottles that have to be warmed up.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• We have been doing 2oz wcm and 3 oz formula for a week. This next week we will use more milk. She has had zero problems with the transition so far.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• We started mixing one bottle at 11 months. Now 1 bottle has turning into a sippy of formula and milk and next week I'll just do mill and a good snack at that time. When she turns one, I'll just offer whole milk and a meal or snack at all bottle times.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • wedding06 said:

megs1409 said:

Am I the only person dreading this change?  Yes, it will be awesome to spend less money on formula, but I feel like we're always on the go and have NO idea how I'll transport cold WCM!! 

I was wondering this as well. Also when does it go bad- like how long can it be out of the fridge and how long after they start drinking is it still good? And do I transition this and no more bottles at the same time? It's too much.
    #bottles4lyfe
    I am dreading this! But at the same time I'm tired of buying formula. And before this container of formula is gone I want to use it to transition him.

We are going to do the switch and then worry with getting rid of the bottles. My goal is to have it all done by Christmas. I'm thinking that after an hour out of the fridge it would be bad or almost bad. We will be doing mostly water while out but then milk with meals or before bed. Once he gets to where he is drinking it faster then we may do milk more often when we are out.
  • The thing that's kind of challenging, for me, is that I want him to continue to have water with meals and when he's thirsty from playing, etc. He drinks a TON of water during the day, and I feel like it's really good for him. I have a very bad habit of having to drink 'something' with my meals, which more often than not ends up being pop or juice or something that's not good for me. I'd rather keep him loving that high quality H20. So I think I'm going to just start swapping out his bottles for milk after he hits one year, then work on switching bottles to sippy cups, rather than trying to add cups of milk to his already full eating-and-bottle schedule. I am not in any big hurry, and will keep him on 100% formula until after his first birthday.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • megs1409 said:

Am I the only person dreading this change?  Yes, it will be awesome to spend less money on formula, but I feel like we're always on the go and have NO idea how I'll transport cold WCM!! 

I'm sure in a pinch you could swing through any fast food place or convenience store for a small thing of milk.

We started the transition last night. Pedi recommended starting with mixing formula with 1 oz WCM, and go from there.

I am kinda freaking because my DD had (has?) a milk intolerance or allergy. We'll see what happens I guess.
    *Evelyn born 9/20/13*

• I just started giving DS WCM at the beginning of this week for dinner in his sippy. My question is... how are you planning on getting rid of the bottle? DS needs his bottle in the mornings and before bed and I am dreading that transition. Do you still give a sippy of milk before bed? Do you keep the bottle? And in the mornings, do you just go straight to breakfast? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • megs1409 said:
    a friend of mine always orders a plain milk from starbucks. i think this is ridic and expensive..but whatever. she has the dolla billz.

• @cdhaslag - how much WCM do you give A in a sippy? do I give the same amount of formula? I feel like I should know this but I'm so lost.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am way more paranoid about formula being out too long than I am about milk. I feel like I drink milk after its been out a while (I'll be more careful when I give it to dd) but at least I know the smell and taste of good milk. We have wasted formula because I am just not sure if it's still ok and the smell is not a good one to begin with.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• DS will be a year on Nov 1. I am not concerned about switching him until we talk to our pedi at his 1 year appt a week later. Is that irrational or logical? We didn't discuss whole milk at the 9 month appt. DS still won't take a sippy either. :-<

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We do water in a sippy when out and about and at meals. I BF in the morning, when I get home from work, and at bedtime. DH gives two BM bottles while I'm at work.

In other words, this baby drinks a lot. I'm not planning to hurry the WCM transition since I still have some freezer stash left, and I'm not worried about it since she's an eat/drink-everything girl.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • vvg28 said:

DS will be a year on Nov 1. I am not concerned about switching him until we talk to our pedi at his 1 year appt a week later. Is that irrational or logical? We didn't discuss whole milk at the 9 month appt. DS still won't take a sippy either. :-<

I didn't even think about it until DD's 1 year appointment. Her birthday was last weekend though.
    *Evelyn born 9/20/13*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"