Breastfeeding

pumping

So please don't judge me:  I am a new mom and not exactly the most excited about breastfeeding.  My husband is a big supporter of the idea and I am willing to give the whole idea a try but I would prefer pumping.  I am very sensitive about my body when it comes to my boobs.  I am a small frame with large boobs which my husband makes comments about god giving me these gifts to feed our kids....kind of more makes me feel like a cow.  Don't get me wrong I love my body and my boobs but I don't like the idea of my child being attached to them either.

We bought a pump and honestly I would like to start as soon as possible.  I have heard that I can start pumping at the hospital when I deliver or the other idea that I have to wait a bit before.  

So for those of you who pump how did it work for you.  I know the more common idea is when mom has to go back to work but since I don't work I have all the time in the world.  I don't have many friends where I live to talk to this about so any ideas from you experienced ladies would be appreciated.    

Re: pumping

• However you want to feed your baby a decision only you can make.  Please don't ever feel bad if you choose to EP or FF over BF.  It really is down to what works best for you, your baby and family.  

While I don't have great advice for you on EP, I wanted to share what I've experienced so far on my BF journey.  Before having LO, I wasn't excited about BF.  Even though everyone says it's so natural, that's what boobs are made for, etc... I wasn't exactly comfortable with the idea.  That all changed after LO was born.  While it hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies (there are so many challenges, especially in the beginning) I've really enjoyed the BF relationship I have with LO.  

I do want to give you a heads up that while I find BF to be a convenient way for me to feed my LO, pumping is another story.  I know others will jump with good advice on it.  Kellymom is also a great resource to check out.  https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/exclusive-pumping/

Best of luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I EP'd for about 3 months and let me tell you, nothing makes you feel more like a cow. It is 100% your decision to make, but EPing is rough.

I started at about 6 weeks, after my supply came in, because I had over supply and it made nursing really hard. I was lucky that I didn't have to establish my supply with a pump, so I only had to pump 6-7 times a day at first, but if you are starting out with pumping you will need to do it 8-12 times a day - I can't imagine trying to do that, plus bottle feed a newborn and keep parts and bottles clean!

My baby started in the NICU so I hand expressed colostrum the first day and then pumped every 3 hours until he was able to stay with me in my room. Then I started nursing. My supply came in by day 4.

Eventually my supply started to drop with pumping only, but since I am the main caretaker of my baby (I'm on mat leave for a year) I couldn't really add more pumps to my day while solo taking care of my LO. I have returned to nursing and I am so happy about it. For some people EPing works really well with their schedule and life and supply (they don't have to pump as much, etc). But I just felt like I was spending more time pumping and washing than I was spending enjoying my baby. My schedule was built around when I had to pump, which affected my whole family. There is nothing worse than getting up for a MOTN feeding at 3 am, exhausted and after baby goes to sleep you still have to stay up for 20 minutes to pump. Same at 6 am ...

My advice is to at least try nursing first, even if to just establish your supply. If it's not work for you, then you can try pumping. As someone that has done both, I really recommend you try both, but start with nursing so your baby can learn to latch.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I wasn't thrilled with BFing before having LO either. However, it is free and nutritious. Nothing was more liberating for me than starting to pump. It makes me feel a little more in control of my body and on my own schedule. My LO is almost three weeks old and has no trouble going back and forth between BF and bottle. I still BF every 3-4 hours but if she wants to sleep or we are going to be out and about, I pump.
  • The whole cow feeling is more about breastfeeding in public.  To me personally I don't like the idea of feeding my child under a sheet and that is the only way I would go.  Its my own comfort of how I feel about my body as well as others around me.  I applaud those who do it but for me its not something I want to do.  To me at least pumping can be private and in the comfort of my home.  I figure this at least I am trying to give my child a chance with breast milk vs going straight to formula.  
  • Just to throw this out there, I nursed in private at my home. Only a few times did I ever nurse with someone other than my husband in the room. In the beginning I mostly nursed in my bed, then I nursed in the glider. I don't really understand the need for a cover if you are nursing at your house in a private room.

I probably only used a nursing cover 10 times, as I wasn't a huge fan of nursing in public. I know I have nothing to hide, but I just preferred to nurse in a private room of someone's house we were at, or in my car if I was out shopping and there were no "Mother's Room" options. As someone who has needed to nurse in public and someone who has needed to pump "in public" (when working off-site occasionally, or once I had a long dentist appointment that interfered with one of my usual pump sessions), it's WAAAAAAAY less awkward to ask "Excuse me, is there some place private I can nurse?" than it is to ask "Excuse me, is there someplace I can pump breast milk?" Seriously. I'd breastfeed my child in my car a million times over pumping in my car. NO THANKS!!

And not all women are the same, but for the first 6 months at least if I missed a nursing or pump session by more than an hour, I'd have a wet-soaked shirt. Yes, you can just as easily give your kid a bottle anywhere, anytime. But you may not find it as easy to pump anywhere, anytime. I could always find a private place to nurse, and preferred to do so, as it was easier than pumping.

I am not trying to discourage you, I'm just saying, if you prefer to do it in private, nursing is easier than pumping. I wish you luck on your journey, please go into nursing with an open mind (and know it gets easier after 2 weeks, easier again after 2 months, etc…). You may end up being more comfortable with it than you realize!

My opinion comes as someone who didn't hate pumping. I kind of liked it/thought it was cool. I haaaaaated washing bottles & pump parts, and I got it down to where I had enough parts & bottles to only wash every 3rd day. Nursing my son was really one of the most special parts of his early life. We nursed until he was about 22-23 months. I am 100% looking forward to nursing Baby #2. I am 1000% not looking forward to washing bottles, nipples, caps, rings, & all my pump parts. And my kid only took a maximum of 4 bottles a day! I don't see how EP or FF moms can stand all the damn washing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• I wasn't going to pump in public.  It would be all done at home.  

I was more just trying to figure this whole thing out since I don't have friends where I live to talk about this stuff with. What friends I have are long distance and are on their own life schedule since we are all in different time zones.

So I am CLUELESS here.  I have no idea what I am doing with anything when it comes to breast feeding or feeding in general.  I have my nephews but I was in college or lived far away from them when they were little so I only saw them a few hours during christmas or something.  My nephews were formula fed so it was easy for me to walk into the kitchen make a bottle and pop it in their mouths.  My mom didn't breastfeed and its not a topic that really gets talked about in my family.  So I have no clue what the heck I am doing.  I am just trying to come up with something that might work for the comfort of me and how I feel about breastfeeding before this kid shows up in 4 weeks.  
  • laxin31 said:

I wasn't going to pump in public.  It would be all done at home.  

I was more just trying to figure this whole thing out since I don't have friends where I live to talk about this stuff with. What friends I have are long distance and are on their own life schedule since we are all in different time zones.

So I am CLUELESS here.  I have no idea what I am doing with anything when it comes to breast feeding or feeding in general.  I have my nephews but I was in college or lived far away from them when they were little so I only saw them a few hours during christmas or something.  My nephews were formula fed so it was easy for me to walk into the kitchen make a bottle and pop it in their mouths.  My mom didn't breastfeed and its not a topic that really gets talked about in my family.  So I have no clue what the heck I am doing.  I am just trying to come up with something that might work for the comfort of me and how I feel about breastfeeding before this kid shows up in 4 weeks.  
    I felt the same way. My lo is 3 weeks old. Just start with bfing and then slowly start into the pumping thing. You won't be going anywhere public for longer periods of time for a few weeks anyways (seeing family and friends will be the bulk of your outings at first).

Just breathe and try not to let it overwhelm you. Good luck!
  • You will need to empty your breasts every 3ish hours whether you are breastfeeding or pumping. So if you plan to only pump at home, your outings will be limited to shorter trips.
    That kind of works for me since I don't have friends to hang out with and I live in the middle of no where so normally my errands are run to the grocery store do that and maybe target if i need other things.  
  • We're not saying it won't work for you. Lots of people EP, when I first started there was something very liberating about it. About not being physically tired to my baby at the exact moment he was hungry.

That being said, establishing your supply with a pump is A LOT of work, and you will be a new mom of a baby. And in many ways, once you go down that road from the beginning it's hard to go back. We're merely suggesting that you give nursing a try so that you can establish your supply and your baby can learn to latch. Then if you want to EP the "hard" work is done and if you try EPing and it doesn't work for you/your family you will have an easier time switching back since your baby won't have to learn to latch for the first time at however many months old.

Eventually you will want to go out for longer periods of time, or go away for the weekend. Bringing a pump with you for a family weekend away is a buzz kill, I know, I've don't it. And nursing doesn't mean you have to do it in public if you are not comfortable. You can always pump a bit each week in between nursing sessions to have a fridge/freezer stash. Then if you want to be out when the baby might be hungry you can give a bottle.

Just suggestions from experience. Good luck with your decision!
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I agree with others, definitely try breastfeeding. I was worried it would be strange too but the minute I saw that crying baby all of that just went away and some instinct kicked in to feed him! 

If you do want to pump, it is a LOT of work as others have said. At first, you will need to pump 10-12 times per 24 hour period, so every 2-3 hours, just like how often your baby will be eating. So your routine will be feed baby, put baby to sleep, pump, wash pump supplies and by that time, there will be 20-40 minutes left before baby wakes up again. As your supply becomes established, around 6-8 weeks you can start to drop pumping sessions, but do it slowly and if your supply goes down then add those sessions back. You should be able to stabilize your supply at around 5-6 pumps per day if you get there really slowly.  If you are serious about EPing, rent a hospital grade pump (you can get them at BRU) and google 'breast compressions' - it really helps to get the milk out. 

So at the end of the day, is it weirder to stick a baby on your boob or stick a pump to your boob and squeeze it? I think nursing is more natural honestly and most of us who only pump would much prefer to nurse if we could. 

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out! 
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• @dontstopbelievin oh hai, miss you!!!
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.

• @bootsorhearts Hi!! :-)  Miss you too.  I'm around a bit on Parenting and a bit on here.  How's it going?
    Good but boy are things busy, holy cow! How did I get all this done AND pump? I barely have time to go to the bathroom, haha! 

• laxin31 said:
    The whole cow feeling is more about breastfeeding in public.  To me personally I don't like the idea of feeding my child under a sheet and that is the only way I would go.  Its my own comfort of how I feel about my body as well as others around me.  I applaud those who do it but for me its not something I want to do.  To me at least pumping can be private and in the comfort of my home.  I figure this at least I am trying to give my child a chance with breast milk vs going straight to formula.  

If you are only comfortable pumping and only at home, you will be miserable and completely homebound.

Either get over your body issues or opt for ff. I know this is not a popular opinion, but there it is.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"