High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Protein S Deficiency

Just got diagnosed with this today, on top of my subchorionic hematoma. I didn't find any recent threads on this, so I thought I would make a new one to see if anyone else has this or something similar?

FTM and not coping well.

Re: Protein S Deficiency

• Options

I'm just a lurker seeing as how I'm not currently pregnant but I thought I would still respond to your post.  Do you know what your Protein S levels are?  Have you had them taken outside of pregnancy?  Pregnancy is known to lower Protein S levels, so they like to check levels outside of pregnancy before ruling it a deficiency.  My levels were slightly low when I went in to deliver my stillborn daughter, so they had me rechecked a couple of months later to see whether they had changed.  Mine were still outside of the normal range but my hematologist still didn't seem to think it was all that concerning because they weren't significantly low.  I'm on daily aspirin and Lovenox shots while TTC and throughout pregnancy if we conceive again.  The reason for me though is my loss history and a couple different clotting factors.  If your levels are really low (I think 30something and above is considered normal during pregnancy) then I'm guessing they'll talk treatment with you, although I can't imagine blood thinners with a subchorionic hematoma.

((hugs)) to you!

November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Options
    They are sending me to a perinatologist so I am guessing the numbers are pretty low. There are several clotting disorders that run in my family. They told me to start baby aspirin which is freaking me out because of the SCH :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with questioning if the are low as in all the time low so an issue in pregnancy or if your levels are low because of pregnancy.  I was diagnosed with a protein s deficiency after my first miscarriage.  It caused me a lot of stress, doctor appointments, etc. and then a year later when I saw a hematologist instead of just my ob and peri, he retested my levels (when I was not pregnant and hadn't been for quite a while) and they were completely normal.  He told me my first levels had been taken too soon after my miscarriage and were low from pregnancy and he didn't feel that had anything to do with my miscarriage.

I hope your SCH resolves quickly.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    Thanks! After all of my research, I'm really hoping that maybe it is just due to pregnancy. Hopefully when I go to the MFM next week that's what I will hear....because the thought of those painful Lovenox injections makes me want to cry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"