August 2014 Moms

Help! Stained Nipples!

My DH threw our bottles and nipples (Tommee Tippee) into the dishwasher along with some pots/pans with tomato sauce on them and the nipples came out stained orange. 

I scrubbed them with baking soda using a toothbrush, and then sent them through the dishwasher again to no avail.

When I google how to remove tomato stains from plastic, a lot of the solutions suggested to let them soak in bleach, which is not a solution I'm crazy about.

In the mean time, I'm EP and supplementing, and so LO only eats out of bottles and about half of our nipples are out of commission. Anyone know a good cleaning solution that doesn't include bleach? Would you suck it up and just bleach 'em? Or just let LO use stained bottle nipples?

TIA!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help! Stained Nipples!

• You could try vinegar, but I'm not sure if that would seep into the plastic and taste funny.

I would probably just bleach them, them wash again. Bleach becomes inactive when exposed to air, and I use it in many other areas, so it doesn't bother me. Otherwise, I would probably just replace them.

Sorry that happened, how crappy!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • I would just use them.

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• Hmm, fwiw, I would just use them. I mean, it's not like baby is actually ingesting tomato sauce - I would think any trace amount would be harmless. I'd mainly be annoyed to look at the stain color, but not worth the cost to replace.
    TTC #1 since August 2011 w/ unexplained IF
    09/12-11/13: 3 TIs, 3 IUIs, ICSI/PGS IVF & 2 FETs
    08/14: Our little miracle has FINALLY arrived - 3 years after we started trying!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cachoque said:

Hmm, fwiw, I would just use them. I mean, it's not like baby is actually ingesting tomato sauce - I would think any trace amount would be harmless. I'd mainly be annoyed to look at the stain color, but not worth the cost to replace.

This. I don't think it's a big deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would use them stained. I also thought this title was about mom's stained nips, which will totally happen if you user gentian violet for thrush!
  • I was definitely thinking this was gentian violet related as well! Purple nips for days...but I'm glad it's not thrush related!

I would just use the stained nipples ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would put them outside and sun them. My mother in law said that the sun will take out the tomato stains from her Tupperware.
    TTC since 11/1/12
    BFP 1/2/13
    Ultrasound showed no heartbeat 2/14/13
    BFP 12/7/13
    EDD 8/18/14
    1st Beta 89, 2nd Beta 214
    Stick Baby Stick!!!
  • I would rather LO have trace amounts of tomato sauce than trace amounts of bleach. So I would go that route and just use the stained nipples. But we use cheap enough bottle nipples that I would consider replacing them if the staining bothers you.
  • Lol, I'd have to go the bleach and then wash in dish washer route... Only bc seeing the orange color would constantly remind me of the mistake and piss me off
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • I would not use bleach. I would either just use the stained ones or buy new ones. Replacement Tommee Tippee nipples are not expensive at all.

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"