March 2015 Moms
Options

Flu shot while pregnant?

Hello!  My OB is STRONGLY recommending that I get a flu shot.  I have never had one before and I (knock on wood) am rarely, if ever, sick.  I've been polling my friends and have found my friends and family to be totally split 50/50 on the issue.  Most of my friends who did get the shot while pregnant were teachers, which makes sense to me, since they are around germs all day, but I am just not sure if I want to do it or not.  I am not a vaccination freak necessarily, I just don't see the point in getting a shot I am not sure I need.  What are you guys all doing?  and why?  I am very curious.  Thanks!!!

Re: Flu shot while pregnant?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never get it, and was told that if you don't usually get it there's no need to start now. I also have terrible reactions to most vaccinations and get very sick. So I hadn't bee planning on getting one.

However, the ladies on this board (from a different flu shot thread) are very persuasive and inspired me to do more research. I'll be discussing the shot in more depth with my doctor when I see her this week, and if she advises it with my history of bad reactions, I will probably get it.
  • Options
    Maybe I am making this up, but it seems like my doctor told me that the baby also received some of the immunity when the mother gets a flu shot.  It's miserable enough being sick, let alone when you are pregnant.  Everyone in my house will be getting one.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    There was a discussion about this Friday -- https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12444179/flu-season/p1

I got my shot Friday.
  • Options
    We are a pro-vaccine household, but I've been a pretty anti-flu shot person (for various reasons).  However, now that I'm pregnant, I'm heavily leaning towards getting it this season, especially since DD started preschool this fall.  I would really be curious to see if any brave souls pipe in that are not going to get it, so I can see their points of view as well.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I, too, will be getting one this year (at my next OB appt). My husband and our two boys will be getting one as well. 
  • Options
    cafecremecafecreme member
    edited September 2014
    Your immune system is weakened by pregnancy...like PP's have said, OB's strongly suggest the flu shot; even if you don't think you'll come in contact with it. Having something to potentially protect you from the "what if's" is better than having no protection. Please get it done. 

Also, if you're concerned about the preservatives in it, ask around and tell them you want the preservative free shot. That's what I got with my last pregnancy and plan to take with this one. 

eta: I also hate when people say you get the flu from the shot. YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT. What's in the shot is the inactive version of the flu, and there's no way you can get it from it. Not to be confused with the nasal spray because that DOES have the active virus in it. Most of the time when people get sick is because the 2 week window hasn't passed, and got infected by a cold or flu from some other source during that time.

image image
    imageimage
  • Options

Please get the flu shot if you are able. I never got it until I was pregnant with DS and already got it a week and a half ago when I went in for my NT scan. It's absolutely helpful to avoid getting the flu if you can.

Also, the flu shot they give you does not have the active virus in it so any reaction you get is not the flu itself. You might have already been exposed to another virus before you got the shot, or you might be allergic to eggs (one type of flu vaccine is grown in eggs).

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm 

• Options
    Our families get vaccinated every year. When H1N1 was going around I warned the whole family to get vaccinated like I did. They chose not to and my DH, his parents, and their live in grandchildren all got H1N1. It was horrid. I'm not saying "standard" influenza is typically as bad as H1N1 but after seeing the family suffer, we'll never go without vaccinations. Influenza is MUCH worse than the common "flu bug." Please keep that in mind when deciding to vaccinate yourself or not.
  • Options
    cosmama said:

Maybe I am making this up, but it seems like my doctor told me that the baby also received some of the immunity when the mother gets a flu shot.  It's miserable enough being sick, let alone when you are pregnant.  Everyone in my house will be getting one.

I think the baby doesn't need it their first year if you got it while pregnant if I remember correctly. I always get it since I get sick a lot. But I think it's really important while pregnant. I had the flu a few years ago it was horrible, I couldn't even get out of bed. My mother had to help me & get me dressed to go to the doctors. I also have a friend who got it while pregnant & said it was even worse.

• Options

I don't really like getting shots and I was always afraid that I would get the flu anyway even if I got it.

With that being said, I am 100% getting the flu shot this year. I work from home and I am probably on the low risk end of things, but I don't want to risk it for all the reasons mentioned above. I can't be stubborn when their is two of us involved.

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, there is a reason why every OB strongly recommends it.  I only had the flu once, and it was HELL.  Get the shot.  Everyone is my house has gotten/will be getting it. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I got it for the first time last time I was pregnant, and will be getting it again at my next appointment probably. I think it's very important for pregnant women.

• Options
    We will not be getting the flu shot.
  • Options

I definitely say get the shot.  The CDC recommends *everyone* gets the shot, especially pregnant women, the elderly, and very young.  This isn't propaganda.  They're not trying to control our minds with a drug (seriously, one of my crazy friends posed that to me when I got on her case for not getting a shot after she got knocked up).  They're insisting on it for public safety.

Do some research on what happens when you have the flu and you're pregnant.  The risk of birth defects alone is enough to make me want to avoid the flu at all costs, let alone the risk of developing pneumonia and/or needing to be hospitalized.  It's totally not worth it.  There's a reason insurance covers the shot - because it works.

And I hate when people say "I've never had the flu before."  You only need to catch the flu one time before you swear you never, ever want to go through it again.  It's not like you feel a little run down.  You feel like a 16 wheeler slammed into you at 70 MPH and threw you 30 feet across a freeway.  Except you're not dead, you just wish you were.  And it lasts a Very. Long. Time.  Just FYI from someone who suffered immensely from having the flu.

THIS. I got the flu just this last year for the first time as an adult (did not get the flu shot) and thought I was going to die. Because of this instance I will never not get the flu shot again. I was out of work for over a week. It was scary.

• Options
    I am absolutely getting it, as are DH and DD. DH works with the public and DD is in daycare a few days a week. I've had the flu before and it sucked. I can't imagine going through that while pregnant and my OB highly recommends it.

MC: 2/19/14

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    The flu shot is definitely recommended during pregnancy. I get mine every year for work anyway, but now I'm definitely not missing it. Another shot to remember getting is the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis). Both the flu vaccine and the Tdap provide passive immunity to the baby for a few months. Since infants cannot be vaccinated for pertussis or the flu until later on, it is important to get the vaccinations. Plus, don't forget to immunize the rest of the family. I had pertussis as a college student after getting immunized as a child and it was awful; there is no need to put a baby through a life threatening illness when it can easily be prevented.
  • Options
    I have been getting the flu shot since I was 12 and diagnosed with leukemia. Any one who has a weakened or otherwise possibly compromised immune system should receive the vaccination. And as other PPs have said, children, elderly and pregnant women should get the shot. They are at a higher risk for becoming ill from the flu. I will be getting the shot as I have done for over 10 years, and really recommend it for anyone, but especially for all of us mommy-to-bes, and especially if your dr suggests it. Also my SO will be getting the flu shot as well as a precaution.

M & N: 05.27.2012 <3 
    Natural M/C: 08.27.13 at 8 weeks
    BFP: 07.02.14 ! 
    Baby #1 EDD: 03.11.15 

image image image

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I, personally, opt not to get a flu shot every year. It's just not something my family has ever done as we do other things to bolster our immune systems. When I became an adult, I chose to continue that.

I am very on the fence about getting it while I was pregnant for me. At my first appointment the nurse recommended it but when I told her I normally don't she said it was my choice and wouldn't worry if I opted not to assuming I continued staying healthy (and knowing I work from home and have minimal exposure to sickness day-to-day.) If I still worked on a university campus where students walk around like puking, sneezing zombies during flu season I definitely would, but right now I am a maybe.

I think if you're concerned, just bite the bullet and get it. Better safe than sorry, especially if it's free from your job/insurance. If you're on the fence I would look at all the variables (are you around kids, your work environment, do you use public transportation, etc) and see where you are after that.
    So it's safe to assume you don't go out in public at all then? Because the places you listed are simply high breeding grounds for germs. But then again, so is the supermarket. I'm pretty sure if it was that easy to just "stay healthy" no one would ever get the flu.
  • Options
    I went for my 16 week check last week and got my flu shot.  I haven't gotten a flu shot in so many years!  
    DS (11), DS (9), DD (7), DS (5), and *surprise* DD (EDD March 3)
  • Options
    My H and I will be getting the flu shot.

My mother - who is retired and doesn't do that much other than go to church and lunch with her friends got H1N1 a few years ago - and it was brutal. She is someone who is low risk and extremely healthy - but was the only one in the family to get it. So, no matter how "safe" you think you might be ...the risk is there.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Options
    You should really consider getting the flu shot. Our children will be born during the cold & flu season. The flu shot will also protect them as well after they are born. I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Whitfry said:

I never get it, and was told that if you don't usually get it there's no need to start now. blockquote>

I don't understand how this makes sense. It's basically, "I've never had the flu so I don't get the shot"? I'm not criticizing YOU, I'm scratching my head at whoever told you this.

I have to get it at work, even if not I would definitely get it while pregnant/with small children at home. P got the flu last year before we could get him a shot... misery. I can maybe handle just ME getting stuck but I was terrified he would end up in the hospital.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ngolimentongolimento member
    edited September 2014
    A high fever can kill your child or cause extreme danger to it. Why the hell are you even questioning it? Like seriously, wtf?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had a Tdap booster 2 years ago, and my OB's nurse also told me that I should get another one in my 3rd trimester based on current recommendations.  

For SuzyQ and all March 15 loss moms
  • Options

Whitfry said:

I never get it, and was told that if you don't usually get it there's no need to start now. blockquote>

I don't understand how this makes sense. It's basically, "I've never had the flu so I don't get the shot"? I'm not criticizing YOU, I'm scratching my head at whoever told you this.

I have to get it at work, even if not I would definitely get it while pregnant/with small children at home. P got the flu last year before we could get him a shot... misery. I can maybe handle just ME getting stuck but I was terrified he would end up in the hospital.

I was told this by a nurse at my OB's office that if I don't typically get the vaccine, that it's not necessary to start. I initially assumed her advice was good, because we are supposed to trust our care providers.

I personally do not typically get the flu shot for the reasons I listed in my original post. Also stated in my post is the fact that I have been doing my research and will be having a discussion with doctor when I see her later this week.

I'm not sure how my original post was unclear, but I hope I have cleared it up for you.
  • Options
    LadySnowbloodLadySnowblood member
    edited September 2014
    RQuinlin said:
    About the TDaP, most STMs received it when they had their first child. My doctor has told me the CDC now recommends in my area for pregnant women to get the booster during their last trimester to help give antibodies to their babies. We are in an area where the CDC is rating pertussis endemic. I should not be due for a booster for several more years, but they recommend I get it anyways. Just wanted to pass this on.
    I was wondering about that since I got it a couple of years ago. Good to know. My whole family will be getting a flu shot this year. We never used to until I got pregnant with DS. I'll be damned if I have to take care of DH with a flu. Luckily, he doesn't protest.

For SuzyQ and all March 15 loss moms

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I definitely say get the shot.  The CDC recommends *everyone* gets the shot, especially pregnant women, the elderly, and very young.  This isn't propaganda.  They're not trying to control our minds with a drug (seriously, one of my crazy friends posed that to me when I got on her case for not getting a shot after she got knocked up).  They're insisting on it for public safety.

Do some research on what happens when you have the flu and you're pregnant.  The risk of birth defects alone is enough to make me want to avoid the flu at all costs, let alone the risk of developing pneumonia and/or needing to be hospitalized.  It's totally not worth it.  There's a reason insurance covers the shot - because it works.

And I hate when people say "I've never had the flu before."  You only need to catch the flu one time before you swear you never, ever want to go through it again.  It's not like you feel a little run down.  You feel like a 16 wheeler slammed into you at 70 MPH and threw you 30 feet across a freeway.  Except you're not dead, you just wish you were.  And it lasts a Very. Long. Time.  Just FYI from someone who suffered immensely from having the flu.

THIS. I got the flu just this last year for the first time as an adult (did not get the flu shot) and thought I was going to die. Because of this instance I will never not get the flu shot again. I was out of work for over a week. It was scary.

This was me last year! We had traveled home for Christmas and I got it. I then passed it to three other family members, including my son. Thankfully my husband has to get the flu shot because he's in the military, so he didn't get sick. I was so miserable though. To make matters worse I have asthma, which really started acting up. Needless to say, we will ALL be getting the flu shot this year.

• Options
    honkytonk_kidhonkytonk_kid member
    edited September 2014
    Whitfry said:

Whitfry said:

I was told this by a nurse at my OB's office that if I don't typically get the vaccine, that it's not necessary to start. I initially assumed her advice was good, because we are supposed to trust our care providers.

I personally do not typically get the flu shot for the reasons I listed in my original post. Also stated in my post is the fact that I have been doing my research and will be having a discussion with doctor when I see her later this week.

I'm not sure how my original post was unclear, but I hope I have cleared it up for you.

I said pretty clearly it was not your stance that I questioned, it was your providers logic behind, "no need to start now."

edit: words are hard

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    uneek1323 said:
    janda426 said:
    I, personally, opt not to get a flu shot every year. It's just not something my family has ever done as we do other things to bolster our immune systems. When I became an adult, I chose to continue that.

I am very on the fence about getting it while I was pregnant for me. At my first appointment the nurse recommended it but when I told her I normally don't she said it was my choice and wouldn't worry if I opted not to assuming I continued staying healthy (and knowing I work from home and have minimal exposure to sickness day-to-day.) If I still worked on a university campus where students walk around like puking, sneezing zombies during flu season I definitely would, but right now I am a maybe.

I think if you're concerned, just bite the bullet and get it. Better safe than sorry, especially if it's free from your job/insurance. If you're on the fence I would look at all the variables (are you around kids, your work environment, do you use public transportation, etc) and see where you are after that.
    So it's safe to assume you don't go out in public at all then? Because the places you listed are simply high breeding grounds for germs. But then again, so is the supermarket. I'm pretty sure if it was that easy to just "stay healthy" no one would ever get the flu.
    Those carts at the supermarket are disgusting.
    Am I the only one who brings sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer with me to stores? I wipe those nasty carts down and then drench my hands in sanitize after I leave. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's true. I believe it carries some immunity for about 6 months. Maybe it depends on when the mother got the shot/baby was born.
  • Options
    My husband gets it every year.. I think it is a job requirement.
    I get it only when pregnant or nursing and I am a teacher.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"