May 2014 Moms
Options

Going to sleep drowsy but awake?

edited September 2014 in May 2014 Moms
The sleep thread makes me wonder how many LOs actually go to sleep on their own. So at the moment your LO finally falls asleep at night (not naps) what are they doing?

Going to sleep drowsy but awake? 167 votes

Nursing / bottle feeding
29% 49 votes
Rocking/bouncing in arms
15% 26 votes
Rocking in a device (swing, car, etc)
0% 1 vote
Babywearing
0% 0 votes
Lying in crib/RnP/PnP with some parental intervention (patting, shushing, etc)
8% 14 votes
Lying in crib/RnP/PnP without parental intervention
25% 42 votes
It's a crapshoot, something different every night
14% 25 votes
SS
5% 10 votes

Re: Going to sleep drowsy but awake?

• Options
    We rock LO for a few minutes then lay him down, he is usually awake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    He either eats to sleep or we rock him. Putting him down while he was drowsy but awake has only worked twice for us. I honestly don't mind rocking him to sleep though. It doesn't take too long and he falls asleep sweetly (most of the time).
  • Options
    I've been doing a bottle at bedtime for over a month, and that's how she's been going to bed. In her room, lights off, noise machine on. She's usually asleep or mostly asleep when I put her down. If she does wake up a little, a hand on her chest or a few sucks on the paci will knock her out. I like knowing how much she's eating before bed, it gives me a better idea of whether or not she's actually hungry if she wakes up in the MOTN. Also, it's been so much easier to have help putting her to bed. DH and I trade off nights, and it's great. I still have to pump afterwards, which is a little bit of a pain, but so worth it for the sake of a predictable routine. 
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Options
    DS goes to sleep drowsy pretty well after our bedtime routine. When we have put him down asleep he has woken up an hour or so later crying really hard. It almost seems like he is confused about being in bed alone.
  • Options

We rock LO for a few minutes then lay him down, he is usually awake.

This. Also we put on his baby Einstein soother--- then he's out like a light.

I've woken up to him turning it on on his own at 2 am---then refalling asleep on his own as well.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options
    I put nursing to sleep because that's our situation 90% of the time, but sometimes if he is overtired he has trouble relaxing so I put him in the Beco and bounce and sing for 5-10 minutes and that does the trick.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

The drowsy but awake thing is total BS in our household. She will think it's a game and just wake up completely, or cry with increasing intensity. 

She usually nurses to sleep at night but if that doesn't get her all the way out, we rock/bounce.
    This pretty much sums it up. I long for the day he can put himself to sleep!

• Options
    Either nursing or rocking with the paci.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • Options
    We put him down drowsy, put his mobile on and he goes to sleep on his own no problem. Before anyone gets jealous, he is a disaster with naps all day.
  • Options
    Haha yeah. I wish. He thinks it's party time when I lay him down then cries.

So it's nursing at night. Nursing or carrier during the day. Nursing if we're home. Carrier if we're out or nursing fails.
  • Options
    Laying in my arms belly to belly with a pacifier. Usually no rocking or bouncing needed. Though there is the occasional lullaby. AKA me singing Ho Hey by the Lumineers really quietly.
  • Options
    I put SS because we rock in the gliders while nursing. We also have lights off and light music and rain machine. I put her down when she falls asleep nursing. She sometimes wakes up but a pacifier knocks her back out.
  • Options
    Eh...DS2 goes to bed when we feel he is getting tired. Basically, his head is constantly going down, he gets super irritated/non-smiley, etc. He's normally had his last bottle an hour or two before, done some tummy time, been passed from dad to mom and back again, clean diaper. We've done everything we can to help him be comfortable and if he is still cranks then off to bed he goes.

We'll put him in the pnp (on his belly), turn off the lights, close the door, and turn down the air. He may fuss for a few minutes (that's more of an exaggeration as it almost always is never or less than a minute) and then he's off.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    Either NTS or in the swing watching me

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    LO eats, then I burp and rock him for like 10-15mins. He usually passes out on me, but when I transfer him to the crib he wakes up, but then he rolls over finds a comfy position and goes to sleep, usually within 10mims.
  • Options
    It's a crap shoot around here.  Sometimes she falls asleep while nursing, sometimes we have to rock her, the last 2 nights we just laid her in the PnP awake and she fell right asleep (knocking on all the wood that this continues).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I put SS - we always rock right before bed, sometimes she falls asleep, and sometimes she's drowsy.
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Crap shoot. Most nights, he falls asleep eating. He sometimes wakes up a little when we put him down but then goes right to sleep. When he decides to fight sleep, we put him in his swing. Sometimes he fusses, sometimes not. Either way, we always have white noise and we're back to swaddling despite trying arms out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We stuck to the putting her to bed drowsy and it is working! Try to stick with it if you can bc it will pay off and you'll be so thankful later. We used to feed then swaddle and then put her in the crib but she is now rolling so we switched to a sleep sack for safety reasons. She seems to be doing good in the zipadee zip! Super happy we had a good recommendation since its working!
  • Options
    spammer? im a mom. R U??? 
  • Options
    Seems like it is something different every night. Some nights she wants to nurse to sleep, others be rocked or walked. Last night after trying a little bit of everything, I decided to just put her in the crib with her paci. To my amazement, she immediately spit out the paci, rolled on her side, and promptly fell asleep. Here is hoping this is a new trend! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"