Multiples

pregnant w/ twins with a toddler

I know there are no magical solutions, I guess maybe I am just looking for commiseration. My daughter is 14 months and I'm in first tri and it's really kicking my butt and I feel so guilty that I feel like my daughter is the one being shafted. DH and I both work full-time (DH actually works way more than full time and is rarely home before N's bedtime). I pick her up at the end of the day and get home and I am just so exhausted. I feel so guilty that I dread our evening hours together because I just want to lie down. Some days I have a babysitter in the evening (while I am home) and I can take a nap but then I am spending even less time with her and that also makes me feel bad. I worry a lot that she is going to continue to be short-changed, both because I have less energy for her while I am pregnant and then later when the babies come. Just wondering if others have been in a similar situation with a toddler while pregnant with multiples.
IUIs #1-3 (1x unmedicated, 2x Clomid) = 2 BFNs, 1 m/c at 7w3d
IUIs #4-6 (injects) = 3 BFNs
IVF #1 = BFN
FET #1 = BFN
FET #2 = BFN
IVF #2 = BFP, b/g twins lost at 20w due to partial abruption/PPROM
IVF #3 = c/p 5w2d
Long-shot Clomid/Prednisone cycle before next IVF = BFP, our beautiful, healthy girl born 6/26/13!
~~
TTC again March 2014
FET #3 - May/June 2014
-
all embryos arrested before xfer - back to the drawing board...
IVF #4 - July/August 2014 
beta 1 (11dp3dt) 220, beta 2 (13dp3dt) 671, beta 3 (19dp3dt) 10762

Re: pregnant w/ twins with a toddler

• I got pregnant with my twins when DD was 3.5 and DS was almost 2.  I am not going to lie; it was hard, especially in third tri.  I was exhausted all the time and there was a point when I felt like I could not do anything with my kids but lay around, read stories, watch t.v. etc.  I had/have mom guilt over this, but it is what it is.  Your toddler is not going to know or think you shortchanged her, and she will be so excited about the new babies!  My biggest advice is to accept help with your "big kids."  Yes, you will need help with the babies, but I needed MORE help with my older two, it seemed.  When I was pregnant and even when the babies were here, sweet friends from church would take my older two to the park or on errands.  They were watched at playmates so they could play with other kids and I could nap (win/win).  It is OK to let others take care of things for a while.  Your body is growing two humans, and that is hard work!  Your kids know you love them.  
    I also second PP who said to find things you can do.  Have a reading marathon.  Make popcorn and watch a movie.  Let your LO nap with you (DD loved to lay down with me and "take care" of me when I was so tired).  Paint nails or play "doctor."  I promise she will be just fine :)
    DD- Born 03/09/2010
    DS- Born 01/21/2012
                                              Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Same boat here. 14 weeks pregnant with twinsies and my son just turned 2 in August. 1st Tri absolutely kicked my butt! I couldn't take care of my son at all. Thankfully my husband is self employed and is able to help out when I need it. I still have days where I'm too exhausted to function. I have been dealing with guilt this entire pregnancy. I think we all need to give ourselves a break. We are growing human beings! Just rest when you need to. Don't stress....deep breathes....this too shall pass ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • I am 36.5 and my DS is 20 months. I hate to say it but it only gets worse. I have been able to pick him up for a while now or get him in and out of his crib :( He has become a MAJOR daddy's boy as of late but I think it's a blessing in disguise because I won't be able to give him my undivided attention for a while.

Try and do easy things one - on-one while you still can. It isn't easy but in the grand scheme of things she will thank you for her siblings!!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think I wrote a similair post in my first trimester. It absolutely kicked my butt, and I felt like the worst mother in the world to DD. DH and I also work full time plus. We snuggled as much as she would let me, and we read a lot of books. I was one of the lucky ones to get a second trimester boost of energy. The energy is quickly slipping away now.

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

• I'm 10w4d with twins, I have a 2 1/2yo who will just turn 3 when the babes arrive. This trimester is kicking my butt! I'm sooooooo tired and with DH being a firefighter I'm single mom for 24 hours every 3rd day, plus the days DH picks up extra shifts. I work 3 days a week and am busy the whole time working at a large peds office as a nurse. Robbie gets WAY too much screen time between therapies on the days I'm home and DH does most of the house work when he's home. But I get through it eventually and we all will. Do what you can, take a deep breath and keep on going. Kiddos at this age really don't mind that much and this short period of time isn't detrimental to the psyche as we think it would.
  • Yep, been there. My DS is almost exactly two years older than my twins, and it was very hard to deal with the pregnancy when he was that age. And that feeling of one kid getting the shaft doesn't go away when the babies get here; it just multiplies so you feel like you're failing three of them instead of just one. But we all just do the best we can, and I try to remind myself that no matter what I'm feeling guilty about, they are all clothed, fed, relatively clean, and loved.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• carrotcake06carrotcake06 member
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, it's really rough. The sheer exhaustion of first tri seems to give way directly to the run-down exhaustion of third tri. My oldest was just over 3 when the twins were born.

We both work FT in stressful, deadline driven jobs. It's hard. That first year w everyone was no joke either. But you'll do it and it will get better.

• DS1 was 15 months old when we conceived the twins. At the time, I was working from home 3 days a week and in the office 2 days a week (and the volume of work I had at the time often made it necessary for me to work on weekends and in the evenings to try to keep my head above water). The morning/all-day sickness kicked in right at 5 weeks. All I wanted to do was lie down in bed (or on the bathroom floor), but that wasn't an option.

We spent a lot of time early in my pregnancy doing low key things, like going to story time at the library, and watching Baby Einstein DVDs, reading, and painting/drawing at home. DH was managing a job several hours away at the time and often had to stay there several days out of the week. It was really hard. We made sure DH had quality time with DS1 on the weekends, so I could try to rest or catch up on work.

After the babies were born, DS1 was really jealous and he had a very difficult time with the transition. To be honest, he is still pretty jealous of the twins, but now that he is older he’s better able to understand the concept of siblings/family and he can be very sweet with them sometimes. I always tried to get them all out of the house for at least a little while most days, even if it was just to walk around the lake and let DS play at a playground for a bit. When DH came home from work, I would usually take DS1 out to do something together for a little while and DH would stay with the babies. This gave me an opportunity to spend quality time with him, without crying newborns around, and it also gave me a much needed break from the house.

As PPs said, it was (and is) very hard, but it will get better. You will still have hard/bad days, but everyone will survive and it will get better. Hang in there, mama.

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

• I was the exact same way. I was pregnant with my twins when DD1 was only 13 months. It was so bad by the time I hit second tri that we hired a nanny. I literally couldn't do anything with her or around the house, and I was a SAHM! So try not to feel too guilty. I know it's super hard, but she'll be okay. Do what you can with her, but you do need to take care of yourself, too. It will be difficult, but it does unfortunately get worse. :( If you can get some help, like grandparents or friends, that would be so helpful.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"