Baby Names
Options

MIL Suggested Names

My mother in law is so excited about having a grand baby that she's so nicely suggesting (terrible) names. Some are just NMS, but some are bad. I haven't really liked any of the names she's suggested. Here they are!

Monet 
Rhett
Daphne
Adele
Tamryn (this is a smoosh of her name, Kathryn, and my mom's name, Tammy. She's really big on naming the baby after someone. Usually it's her).
Maria
Mariah (Her middle name is Marie)
Tamara Kate (also a name after her and my mom)

BFP 8/9/2014
Baby Boy wolowizard due 4/14/2015
Greyson Robert

Re: MIL Suggested Names

• Options
    flclflcl member
    I may be in the minority but I actually like a lot of those names.  If they aren't your style though who's to say you've got to use her suggestions?
  • Options
    They are just suggestions, but maybe one with get you thinking.  I personally love Adele!  I wish DH did.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Daphne, Adele, Maria and Mariah.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    The only reason these are cringe worthy is because she is basing them on her own name. I feel your pain. My MIL does similar things. She has the same middle name as her mother, so she gave SIL that middle name. SIL had a baby girl and gave in to MILs demands and gave the baby the same middle name. Recently MIL told me if we have a little girl we must give her that same middle name. Uh no. I suggest you smile, nod, and look into names you like that are not based on her.
  • Options
    Dr.LorettaDr.Loretta member
    edited August 2014
    I like all but the first 2

This is the part where you say, "Great ideas, we'll have to think about those."' And go on your merry way
  • Options
    Tamryn reminds me of Tamron, which is a photography lens company. I mean, Tamron's all I use because they make great lenses, but nooooo.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • Options
    Maria and Mariah are nice.  However, it's so gross that she's suggesting names based on her own.  Just smile politely and say something like "Those are interesting suggestions, we'll keep them in mind."  Then go off and feel free to disregard them.  Unless she's the type to keep harping on the subject.  Then find a way to politely tell her that you aren't looking for suggestions, or that you already have a few potential names in mind.
    I agree it's kind of gross....naming a baby after someone is supposed to be because YOU want to honour them, not because THEY insist upon it. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I like Rhett. I like Maria as a middle name.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Options
    AmandaR204AmandaR204 member
    edited August 2014
    Well, I've seen way worse. My mil insists on mary only. She's very religious.
    BabyName Ticker}
  • Options
    Love Rhett!
    I think Tamryn is awful and Tamara is bad to me too.
    I like Adele.
    My MIL suggested we add her mn to DD2's name. We just kinda smiled then long silence...super awkward.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Adele is pretty!

• Options
    Yeah, I don't like any of them.
  • Options
    I like Daphne and Adele. Mariah is okay. Don't care for the rest though.
  • Options
    I must say I was rolling my eyes just going into this thread, because honestly it doesn't matter how bad or good the name suggestions are, it just matters whether the relative is respectfully suggesting a name she thinks is cute or insisting that you name the baby Ursula after her. And, sadly, usually it seems like the relatives are being way too pushy.

That said, your MIL's suggestions are an odd mix of totally awful (Monet? Ugh) and quite nice. (I genuinely love Adele and Maria.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"