Parenting

Mom Shaming at B.C.Hospitals

Just saw this article. Absolutely horrifying! I'd love to meet the person who wrote the pamphlet!

Re: Mom Shaming at B.C.Hospitals

• Sorry! Here it is!
  • Did you read the "contract"? Signing off that you acknowledge you aren't giving your child such benefits by formula feeding?! I can't understand how this got in to a hospital?! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Fucking infuriating. I was one of those mothers who wanted more than anything to EBF, but unfortunately I couldn't produce enough (despite my best efforts) so my son was readmitted to NICU for jaundice and bc he was losing too much weight. So it looks like BFing just wasnt in the cards for me.

This time around, I refuse to make myself crazy over the fact that I will FF. And its Shi like this that makes moms like me feel guilty for not being able to BF.

So fuck them..right in their ignorant, judgmental asses.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am shocked. I live in a different province. Where I had DD2,  they were so encouraging. My daughter was put on my chest the minute she was checked over and that is where she stayed the majority of my visit (and she was a c section). They had nurses help you with latch and guide you, as well as an LC come visit. They had even stepped up there game (as far as encouraging breastfeeding) since I had DD1 there almost 3 years earlier. DD1 I tried to nurse but it did not work out, I was shocked when nursing went so well with DD2. I think the hospital's approach helped a lot. Mothers need encouragement not fear. I think we are overwhelmed enough after giving birth!
  • This is where I live and never experienced this ever! Although I did EBF it sounded to me when I was in the hospital that they would be supportive either way. So strange!!!
  • fintinfintin member
    edited August 2014
    Apparently I have fucked up both of my children according to them because I didn't BF. /:)
  • I guess I ruined 1 out of 2 kids. I like to play favourites like that though  8-|
  • I live in bc, this is not the norm here and this brochure is by the idiots at Fraser valley health. There has been so much local backlash over this and it was on the news last night that they are pulling the brochures and revamping the "feeding plan" nonsense. Where I delivered last year, there was no "feeding plan" and I didn't have to sign anything nor did I feel any pressure about how to feed my lo.
  • Funny that the handout was pulled by Fraser Health after this came out because it was "old" but the date on the handout is 2012 and the quoted research is 2007-2008.

And there's a way to present info to help moms make an informed decision that does not include instilling fear of various chronic diseases and death. I mean, come on.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• After I had my son a doctor who was filling in came in to see me.  He asked if i was breast feeding and I said no.  He went on to tell me I would not bond with my baby, he would have more illnesses (especially since he was a preemie), and asked if I knew that breastfeeding cut your risk of cancer and by not doing it I was asking for cancer.  I was in tears and couldn't even respond to him.  Then he left and told the nurse to send the lactation consultant to our room.  When the nurse came in to tell us the lactation consultant would be by in awhile I broke down sobbing and my husband started yelling at her to tell everyone to leave me alone, it was my body and I had been through enough (two months left side only bedrest, three week hospital stay, complicated c section and the fear my son wouldn't be born alive, they had warned us this was a possibility).  It was absolutely awful.  The day I was to get discharged he was the only doctor there, I refused to see him again and thankfully the nurse called my doctor and she discharged me from home.  I will never forget the way he made me feel. 
  • Crazy, this is where I live....I've never seen that form, although I delivered in 2009 & 2010. My personal experience with Fraser Health is that there is an inordinate amount of focus on BFing pressure applied by the public health nurses. I've never felt any of that from Dr's or hospital nurses, it comes after when you have a public health nurse do a visit. I declined the visit with my 2nd because I don't like their approach. I BF'd for 6 months with each, and we weaned because that's when they lost interest, and it worked for all of us! But, Fraser Health staunchly advocates BFing for a full 2 years. I supplemented with formula for the bedtime feeding and so far both my kids are healthy ;)
  • @marchbaby‌

I'm so sorry that happened to you. That's horrible.

image image
  • Lurking...

@marchbaby‌ I am so sorry that happened to you.

That is absolutely terrible :(
  • I am advocate for Breastfeeding, but this is over the line in a particularly disgusting way. If a mom wants to breastfeed then that's awesome. However, if she can't or doesn't want to she shouldn't have to sign some document full of fear mongering after her birth ordeal. That's jacked.

New moms (or other moms on #2 etc) are not inherently stupid. Formula feeders are not dooming their kids.

I hate it that folks are turning BF education into a shame-fest for FF mothers. It's so messed up.

Do what you feel is best for you, your baby & family. Everyone else needs to STFU on any mother's choices!

Feed the baby, the end.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• @marchbaby‌ I am so very sorry you had that horrible experience! >:D<

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• No way would I sign this contract--the balls of the people who thought this form was okay. Do I get to sign another form of what they will or will not eat when they are eating table foods?
  • marchbabymarchbaby member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks everyone.  In hindsight I wish I had reported him to the hospital so he couldn't do the same to someone else, but I was just so stressed out the first few months after my son was born (he required doctor visits every other day, a lot of tests, a few hospital stays and surgery at 6 weeks) so I just couldn't handle one more thing.  The ironic part is I never got any milk after either of my children, like not even one drop, no engorgement nothing. I met with an OB a few years later who said I was lacking something so couldn't breastfeed even if I wanted to...
  • marchbaby said:
    After I had my son a doctor who was filling in came in to see me.  He asked if i was breast feeding and I said no.  He went on to tell me I would not bond with my baby, he would have more illnesses (especially since he was a preemie), and asked if I knew that breastfeeding cut your risk of cancer and by not doing it I was asking for cancer.  I was in tears and couldn't even respond to him.  Then he left and told the nurse to send the lactation consultant to our room.  When the nurse came in to tell us the lactation consultant would be by in awhile I broke down sobbing and my husband started yelling at her to tell everyone to leave me alone, it was my body and I had been through enough (two months left side only bedrest, three week hospital stay, complicated c section and the fear my son wouldn't be born alive, they had warned us this was a possibility).  It was absolutely awful.  The day I was to get discharged he was the only doctor there, I refused to see him again and thankfully the nurse called my doctor and she discharged me from home.  I will never forget the way he made me feel. 
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. That's inexcusable of the doctor, and the nurses should have done a better job advocating for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"