October 2013 Moms
Options

Bday cake: bought or special made?

Soooo I know that some moms have made the smash cake themselves with special ingredients to be less surgary or something. My sis did this for my niece. The frosting also didn't have a lot of sugar.

I'm not saying that I load my LO up on sugar and actually avoid it if it's not necessary. But is this a popular thing? Or are you just buying/making a regular cake for LO bday?

Re: Bday cake: bought or special made?

• Options
    A friend of mine is making the smash cake for us. It will be just a regular white cake that she will decorate in the theme.
  • Options
    I just buy a cake or cupcakes from the grocery store.  We don't do a smash cake.  He will smash his piece of cake or cupcake on his own.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Skye will have same cake as everyone else from a bakery.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Options
    I'm making her cake. Normal frosting and cake.

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• Options
    I have learned that every cake I try and make falls apart before I even get to frost it so I will be ordering a cake.  Actually when I went to get DD1 her birthday cake I noticed a sign at our grocery store bakery.  They advertise that with an order of a 1/4 sheet cake for your baby's first birthday they will give you a free 5 inch round cake for the baby to smash.  So I think I am going to go ahead and do that so I don't have to worry about making a cake myself.

Was hoping to do a cake smash photo session but I don't think it's in the budget.
  • Options
    Aren't cupcakes basically smash cakes?

That's what mine is getting, cupcakes from a local bakery. Less preservatives and artificial stuff, same amount of sugar. I'm less worried about the sugar and more worried about chemicals and dyes.
  • Options
    I'm gonna be making his smash cake but using "normal" cake mix and icing. I will be ordering a sheet cake from the bakery for everyone else though.
  • Options
    I'm buying cupcakes and he'll smash one of those. Standard cake and frosting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to have a cake made at a farm bakery around here. Well a giant cupcake and cupcakes. Sugar for all!
  • Options
    I'm making cupcakes and giving one to her as her smashcake. It will be a low-medium on the sugar scale, but that's how I prefer my sweets anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I'll make the smash cake myself. It'll be flavored with fruit (blueberry or raspberry) and a mildly-sweet frosting. I'm ordering cupcakes for the guests.

ETA: pumpkin! How could I forget? Thanks DH! LOs cake will be pumpkin.
  • Options
    My cousin is making our cake for us. It'll be a regular sugary masterpiece.

Jude Beckham 10/23/2013   Sean & Chels 03/08/2012

• Options
    My MIL is a dessert pro ... So I'm sure she is making tons and tons of cakes and cupcakes !!! Maybe even a cheesecake!
    < image
  • Options
    Local bakery. I don't do that shit when people will do it better for 20 bucks!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"