2nd Trimester

Opting for C-Section

Hi all,

I was hoping you could give me your advice. 

My wife is 18 weeks pregnant and has decided that she would prefer a c-section rather than medicated or natural birth. We were both on the same page and preferred Medicated or Natural until we brought it up with our obstetrician who basically told us that no option is better than the other, that they both have equal risk and cost and that it just comes down to preference.

I have been doing a lot of research and I feel like C-Section has more risks and obviously the recovery is longer. I don't want to push my wife as I believe it is ultimately her decision. 

What do you guys think? Should I push for natural or medicated because I think it is better or should I just back off let us go with C-section?

Thanks in advance

Re: Opting for C-Section

• I have also elected a C-section over natural childbirth. 

However, if my husband had concerns I would appreciate his honesty and the fact he brought them up to me.  It would also be important to know that he would support me in any decision I made knowing the ultimately it is my body- pain, healing and all.

• Loading the player...
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments. 

My wife and I have sat down and discussed it, she acknowledges how I feel but it does not change how she feels because she is going on what the ob has said.

The ob did not recommend a C-Section, just simply stated that no option is better or worse, it's based on preference.

In regards to cost, I live in Australia and we have public healthcare, my insurance will cover the difference regardless of method.

I do respect that it is her decision, I won't 'put my foot down' or anything but I can't help feeling like Natural is better because it has less risk.

What I am struggling with is my wife believing that both options are the same, that they have the same amount of risk. 
  • Is this your wife's first baby? Are elective c/s without a previous c/s a thing?
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm from Australia as well and am hoping I can have a c section. At the end of the day it is kind of up to your wife and what she wants. Your opinion does matter too but if she feels safer getting a c section then you might just have to stand by her. She would already be copping it from some people that are against having an elective c section. But if you are really concerned about it maybe talk to the obstetrician at your next visit. And express your conserns to him/her.

Good luck with working it all out:)
  • Sahara6971Sahara6971 member
    edited August 2014
    I am with the other posters who are wondering why this option was even given. C-sections are major surgeries that are in place for a reason! Why would she prefer to be cut open rather than to at least try to have the baby come out the way it was intended (that is if there are no complications). eta - I hope that didn't sound insensitive. Bottom line, do your research and it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Thanks for posting, 
    My wife was pro natural leading up to the appointment with the ob, we were both under the assumption that natural is better, that c-s has more risks. 

The ob basically told us that there are no more risks with either.

There are a few reasons my wife wants c-s. Not having to go through labor, eliminating the unknowns (when baby will come e.t.c.) it is guaranteed to take a certain duration of time.  The horror stories of tearing and 30 hour labors have her leaning towards c-s
  • The pain and recovery from a tear or epistiotomy is nothing compared to the pain and recovery of a C-section. It sounds like your wife is scared of the unknown but it is possible to have an easy and quick natural delivery. But the recovery from a C-section is almost always harder/longer than recovery from a natural delivery.

BFP #1 natural mc 4/24/2012 5w1d 
    BFP #2 DS born 3/30/2013 
    BFP #3 cp 2/6/2014 
    BFP #4 natural mc 3/19/2014 5w6d 
    BFP #5 4/27/2014 EDD 12/24/2014 --IT'S A GIRL!

image image 
  • Opinions aside, C-Sections are more expensive than vaginal birth.
    imageimage
  • AusDad said:
    Thanks for posting, 
    My wife was pro natural leading up to the appointment with the ob, we were both under the assumption that natural is better, that c-s has more risks. 

The ob basically told us that there are no more risks with either.

There are a few reasons my wife wants c-s. Not having to go through labor, eliminating the unknowns (when baby will come e.t.c.) it is guaranteed to take a certain duration of time.  The horror stories of tearing and 30 hour labors have her leaning towards c-s
    I would get a second opinion and get a new OB....like yesterday!

imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• A medicated vaginal birth and an unmedicated vaginal birth might be a toss up in terms of safety (depending on mitigating factors - epidurals have been shown to slow down some labors and speed up others) but a c-section is not the same thing as a "medicated birth" as your first post sort of implies. I've seen studies that show that planned c-sections are safer than emergency c-sections (given after labor has begun and a problem arises), but I would question the medical knowledge of anyone who claimed that a planned c-section was just as safe as a planned vaginal delivery. 

It sounds like your wife is scared - which is perfectly normal, and honestly, if she weren't scared I'd side-eye her. Birth can be dangerous and it's full of unknowns. But that fear is counter productive and could be harmful. 

I highly recommend that she get a second opinion from an OB because her doctor might be a few bricks short of a load and I also recommend that she see a counselor to talk through her fears. No matter what she chooses, and ultimately, it is her choice, that fear needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later. 
  • schnitz9schnitz9 member
    edited August 2014
    I'm gonna throw my hat in here.  I think your wife may be a little mis-informed on the c-section.  I am a FTM, however have had a major surgery in the area of my uterus and have c-section scar.  I can tell you this .  A c-section is major surgery.  Any mother who has had one on here can tell you it is in no way an easy thing to do.  My mother had both.  She always told me that vaginal birth was much easier recovery wise. The pain from a vaginal birth is minimal in comparison to the recovery of a c-section.  I know many c-section moms who are traumatized from having them and worked to have VBAC's with their other children.  Ask someone who has had both they would definitely be able to tell you their option with facts to back up. Several complications can go wrong during a c-section that can be avoided.  I hope im not offending anyone but I feel that non-medically needed c-sections are an easy way out.  Not wanting to wait and knowing when the baby is born is not a reason.  The fact that your OB did not tell you these things is a concern.  You should def do more research and have a serious talk with your wife.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Is this real life?!  Id get a new doctor if it were me.  The both of you should consider doing tons of research on this topic because your doctor is incorrect. 
  • I can't imagine opting for major surgery myself. I am going to a hospital that doesn't even offer C-section, they have to air lift you to a major city centre if you need one.

My friend is horrified that I am going to a non-C-section facility since she had one about 18 hours into labor because she was to exhausted to keep pushing and she couldn't imagine not having one now. I get that there is advantages for some people but for me, I would much rather not be cut open.

I think her concerns and your concerns are both valid, but at the end of the day as long as the baby is born I don't think it matters how it gets out. I would probably get a second opinion though.

• It sounds like your wife is scared. That's completely understandable. Child birth can be scary. Is there a specific reason she's scared? Did something happen to someone she knows that is adding to her stress and fear. I ask because I was in that situation. One if my best friends died in child birth. I found out I was pregnant a few months later. I was terrified. I even asked my OB if I could have a C/S because of my fear that I would die just like her. By the time it was time for me to give birth, I had calmed down enough to try for a vaginal birth. I ended up with a C/S anyway. I personally did not have a difficult recovery even with needing general anesthesia. But just because it wasn't bad for me doesn't mean it's not hard for others.

Talk to her and try to figure out what she's scared of exactly. I wish you both luck.

• Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate all of your opinions and they are mostly along the lines of what I feel.

I have done a butt load of research and feel like natural would be the better option but what can I do? 
    Ultimately it is my wife's decision and I've got to respect and support that. 

I told her that there are definitely more risks with C-Section, that the recovery is longer with C-Section and that the unknown is normal.

I am going to have a list of questions for the OB when I go next week, the majority of them being around increased risk e.t.c.

Thanks again ppl 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • schnitz9schnitz9 member
    edited August 2014
    MrsMuq said:
    @MrsMuq‌ I don't believe I've had the pleasure, so I'm a bit lost as to the "as usual you're twisting things" comment. Sorrynotsorry for holding an opinion about an actual personal experience that differs from yours. Nice to meet you. I don't twist, I just don't agree with the pearl clutchers on this topic. I'm not sure why that's a personal offense to you, but we are just starting out. I'm sure we have much to learn about what makes each other tick.
    The "twisting things" comment was your general pattern of responses towards elective c-sections.

I had a scheduled c-section because I was diagnosed with GD late in my 3rd trimester. I spent 7 days in the hospital. I couldn't walk until 15 hours after my surgery. I was on Percocet for over three weeks. My incision became infected and partially opened up, having to be re-stapled. I was on a 14 days course of massive antibiotics.

If/when we have LO#2, I'll go VBAC all the way if medically possible.

You may have had a good experience, but there is no medical validity to having major surgery for no reason other than "because I want to."
    ScoutNumbers05 is, would you have had an elective c-section if you did not have the complications you had? To me its like walking into a hospital and asking them to take your appendix out when you don't have appendicitis but you're scared that in the future you might. Why complicate things when there is no reason.  Also what good doctor would allow a healthy pregnant woman to have a c-section?

edited for mis-tag
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• Having had two c-sections (one emergency and one failed VBAC) I would really help your wife to select a few books to read and a new doctor. Perhaps a birthing class would help ease her fears as well. The operating room for the c-section is a cold, creepy place in my opinion and much scarier than the delivery of a baby in nice hospital/birthing center room. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • I would run in the other direction if a doctor is willing to perform major abdominal surgery simply because you request it. If there is no medical need, the safest way for a baby to be born is vaginally and naturally if possible. The doctors is being fraudulent by claiming these are all the same risk factor for a low risk pregnancy. Also it may cost you about the same if you have good insurance, but your insurance comapny will be billed significantly more for a surgery than a normal birth. That is insane. I would be interested to hear this doctor's cesarean rates.

Cesareans are miracles for the few families that truly need them. But it is not a decision to take lightly or choose for no reason. I just simply don't understand. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Maybe the best way to go about this is to work on your wife's self esteem. Why does she feel like she can't handle labor? Why does she feel like her body will not work as it is designed even though she has no medical reason to believe that? This is more concerning and something I think you should try to address. 

I will say that I can't imagine someone who is looking to an elective cesarean for such fruitless reasons would have the mental stamina to get through a natural labor. Sounds like she just doesn't think she can do any of it. If I were you, I would find a local doula and set up a meeting. Your wife may like having a woman to talk to and having that support throughout her birth. You can also get information about which hospitals/doctors in your area are heavy handed with surgeries and she can get some better info on vaginal birth. Having someone else to help you sort through information and form a birth plan, as well as be there for that birth experience would be really good for your situation. A good doula will become your best friend through this process.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ugh sorry for another post. Just wanted to say a lot of doulas are really just there for whatever experience you are planning. Many women chose to have a doula for a medicated vaginal birth and just having someone there to talk to and keep calm with can be so valuable. Really, I think this could be great for your wife. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just wanted to add that EVERYONE is scared at some point when going in to have a baby. I think it would be odd not to be. I think she should really find someone to talk to that can help address her fears and to let her know she is not alone.

And here is my comparison just for fun ;)

It's like needing a colonoscopy and your dr. saying "oh, you are afraid of having a camera shoved up your butt?? Well, if you'd like, I could cut your stomach open and remove your colon and check it that way. How does that sound? I offer both options."

Honest, reputable doctors don't operate that way.

Best example! So true.  My feeling is the nervous build-up sometimes is actually worse than the actually of the event. I've had several surgeries in my life.  My major one I was in the hospital for almost a month.  Was terrified for a while before.  The pain afterwards was terrible.  But I look back on it now and tell myself I survived I did it. I'm fine now.  As a FTM I'm not thinking about the actual labor I'm thinking about after when its all over.  I'm thinking about a month later. To me thats the best way to go into these types of situations.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• Surgery is riskier, the more invasive, the more risk. That's a no brainer. Sometimes surgeons are more concerned with knife time than the best for mom, and it is way more convenient for doc to schedule surgery....
    I had an RE tell me I had a 2% chance of getting pregnant and carrying to term without IVF. 2nd RE, 2nd IVF insistance. Some doctors have their own agenda. Your OOP costs are probable about the same either way. His reimbursement is way more for the CS, I get so angry at the money games.... and I am a nurse, if that gives me any additional credibility. Good luck. I wish you both a healthy delivery no matter her decision :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi. Show your wife this forum / these replies maybe?
  • I had 2 positive Csec experiences. It wouldn't have been my first choice, though. I had no intention of going drug free or anything like that but I did want to have a vaginal delivery. Recovery is definitely a lot tougher so I have heard. My first was worse since I had been in labor for 36 hours. I would not agree that the OR is "cold and creepy" though, at least, that wasn't my experience. Both times it was relaxed and everyone was warm and understanding. The only weird part for me was everyone speaking to me through masks and I could only tell my husband was smiling by the wrinkles around his eyes. We are on our third though and the risks increase every time as well as the anxiety. Not sure how many children you both want but that should also be taken into consideration(I am sure someone has mentioned this).
  • I've never heard of an elective c-section. I always thought c-sections were because of issues - pre-e, diabetes, labor isn't progressing, etc. 

I would rather have a vaginal birth any time, any day versus a c-section. Less recovery time and I'm pretty sure there's less risk involved...

image image
    imageimage
  • I used to work with a woman who said elective CS was the only civilized way to give birth. I was always of the opinion that if I can avoid major surgery, I definitely would. Granted, I've never gone through labor or birth (FTM here), I've also never had surgery. I was weirded out to go under for my egg retrieval, which lasted all of 10 minutes. Being cut open while people sort through your organs then sew you back up is kinda freaky. I'd rather avoid it if I can.

BabyFruit Ticker TTC since 11/2011 Me: Hypothyroid & PCOS DH: 0% morphology IVF #1 - transfer on 4/2/14 BFP 4/11/14 beta 161 EDD: 12/19/14 It's a GIRL! AnaSophia (Sophie; Soph the Loaf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"