March 2015 Moms
Options

opinions on interviewing etiquette

So I had a phone interview today for an awesome opportunity at a local university and have a second in person interview next week. I'm going to wear a flowy dress to hide the pooch, but I'm wondering if they offer me the position if I should tell them I'm expecting then, or wait a bit after I start? Wwyd?
BabyFruit Ticker

Kaylin Lanelle Born 9/2012
Rylee Amelia due March 5, 2015

For SuzyQ

Re: opinions on interviewing etiquette

• Options
    If you're still in the first trimester and at the point where you may not even tell family that you are pregnant I wouldn't say anything.  If you were later in the second trimester then I'd mention it, but this early on, no.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I started my last job when I was 23 weeks pregnant with my first child and I still didn't tell them until after they hired me. It all worked out just fine, I was able to take short term disability for the six weeks after delivery and continued to work there until my second child was born and I became a SAHM.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the input that's very helpful!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Kaylin Lanelle Born 9/2012
    Rylee Amelia due March 5, 2015

For SuzyQ

• Options
    I accepted an offer with my first and I was about 13 weeks along. When I went in to sign all the paper work is when I told my new boss. She was a little shocked but I felt that of I waited until weeks in I would feel more uncomfortable telling her. Everything worked out fine... And when I got back from mat leave I was promoted!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No way, don't tell. The laws against discrimination are almost impossible to enforce at the interview level.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I recently had a job interview and I ended up telling them. I did not intend to, but they ended up interviewing me for a different job than the one I had applied for, and the job they want me to take involves providing therapy to kids with developmental disabilities. It's really hard on those kids to have their lives disrupted, so I felt obligated to let them know at the get-go that I would be needing maternity leave in about six months. They appreciated the info and hired me regardless, with the promise of a promotion in a year once I have the hours to get a specific certification I've been wanting.

HOWEVER I would not have disclosed that information if they had interviewed me for the original job I had applied for, since my pregnancy would not have really impacted that job. My original plan was to wait until there was an offer on the table, and then disclose.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"