June 2013 Moms

NBR: decorating advice

MufflerloveMufflerlove member
edited August 2014 in June 2013 Moms
We recently moved into out new house. We have a really open concept house with high ceilings. This wall of the living and dining room is so bare. Any ideas? We plan to paint soon and I'm hoping that will make it feel homier. My husband wants to hang pictures in the space between the tv and hutch but I think it will look funny. Ignore my messy house.

imageimage

Re: NBR: decorating advice

• You def need to do something to divide the room, visually. I would paint each side a different color and frame the TV with pictures but leave the hutch side blank
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • I like the bookshelf but I'm worried my DD would climb it. I will take pictures but there is laundry everywhere lol give me a second
  • Loading the player...
  • My mess is embarrassing lolimageimageimage
  • I would paint a vertical stripe at the peak of the ceiling slope and on the TV side do pictures and on the hutch side do a patten wall like @lioness13‌ showed (which I'm now obsessed with)
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Thanks everyone!
    It's funny you put that fireplace picture @CL8badB‌ that's exactly what my husband wants to do but I was worried it would just be another thing against the wall. I do like that picture though! But since the tv couldn't go in the middle I am just not sure. I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of the hutch though.
  • I wouldn't paint two different colors. What I would honestly do:

Move the hutch. It's a lot of dark there with the table, and it's not really tall enough for the space. Instead I would do some large scale artwork behind the table to bring color into the space. By large scale though, I mean pretty large. That big wall could use a statement piece.

You have great floors and looks like good windows on either side so hopefully good natural lighting. I'd paint the walls a lighter, breezier neutral or very toned down color. Like a gray-blue. Or light gray.

I would do a wall of prints to frame the TV. White frames.

I wouldn't do anything to separate the spaces - they naturally will separate themselves if you decorate them somewhat separately. What I would do is put some kid table or something useful against the wall there. A clean line one from Ikea. If you want something, I'd do a tall skinny bookcase (if you take away the hutch).

Search Apartment therapy for similar spaces and see what other people did or recommend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since you mentioned it, I do think you should get rid of the hutch and that table because of the style. Its traditional and everything else is contemporary.

Also, Have you ever thought of moving the couch so that the back faces the kitchen? It could work as a room divider. And you can move the tv so its more in the corner. You can put 2 chairs against the window with a coffee table between.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"