Babies on the Brain
Options

How Long After Pill?

Hi there! My husband and I recently got married in June and I didn't start my new pill pack for July because we are ready to start trying for a baby. I've downloaded two apps to help track my ovulation, cycle, etc. which are helpful and I even took a pregnancy test this morning just to see and it was negative. I did not think it would happen immediately, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any testimonials of how long it took them to get pregnant after going off the pill? My mom is very fertile and my body is a lot like hers so I'm hoping it's fairly quickly! Thanks in advance!

Re: How Long After Pill?

• Options
    Everyone is different, so you'll just have to wait and see.  Start using FF and tracking your ovulation.
    Married DH - 5/31/14
    NTNP - September 2014
    TTC #1 - December 2014

• Options
    Everyone is different, including you and your mom. Start temping and charting so you know if you're even ovulating yet. Could take one or several cycles for you to start ovulating.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It takes two people to make a baby. Just because it takes a while it does not mean that it is the woman's fault. Also, your mom's fertility has nothing to do with yours since you have two parents and two sets of genes. You are probably ttc at a different time in your life than your mom did,and she was not on the same bc pills as you were lol so there is just no reason to think that.

I went off the pill about a year before ttc. We were open to having a baby but were waiting to try. We used natural family planning. I used the fertility friend app and took my temp every morning. Immediately after coming off the pill after 5 years of use my cycles were perfectly normal and I ovulated right on schedule. During this time I started prenatal vitamins and DH switched to a mens health vitamin. We officially started ttc in May. I ovulated May 16th and we got the BFP May 26th. So it was right away. I was surprised (practically in denial) because it is rare for it to happen that quickly even with everything working as it should. Now I'm 4 months along. 

Moral of the story it can take no time at all, or up to a year without either of you having a fertility issue. Each month, if everything is working perfectly, you have about a 20% chance I have heard. And the chance starts over each month... meaning it is not 100% in 5 months lol So, just don't get upset or worry about it. Have fun baby making! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I went off the pill in March 2012 and got pregnant in December 2012. We weren't actively trying but not preventing. I was tracking my cycle on an app and we avoided my fertile week. It worked for a few months. I agree with downloading fertility friend and start tracking your temps.
  • Options
    Nearly 6.5 years before I got a take home baby. But, as everyone else has already pointed out anecdotes are totally irrelevant.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options

I got a positive 3 weeks after and I only had sex once four days before I thought I was going to ovulate. But I am a freak of nature, I can roll over in a wet spot and get pregnant.

My Doctor told me that it can take up to a year or more for a healthy couple to become pregnant when I discussed trying a few years ago. I have friends who have been trying for years, and friends that got pregnant while on the pill.

• Options
    I stopped BC in January and got a positive test on 4/10/13! Way quicker than we thought! 
  • Options
    With DD#1 it took us three months. My cycle was a little wacky at first (long cycles), so it just took a few months for things to regulate a bit.
    BabyFetus Ticker

So excited for Baby #4!
  • Options
    Listen to @Joy2611 she have excellent advice. I had no idea about any of the real fertility information until lurking and participating on the Trying To Get Pregnant board. Those ladies are fantastic. I ended up ovulating CD22-24 consistently, so if we'd only been trying based on a period tracker (which assumes you ovulate CD14) we would have been missing our window over and over. Not that my ovaries will do anything for you, but I was off BCP 5 cycles before conceiving (4 cycles temping/charting and 2 cycles using OPKs). Good luck.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    asws1208 said:
    I stopped BC in January and got a positive test on 4/10/13! Way quicker than we thought! 
    Oh. Look who doesn't get it.

Surprise.

Don't get what @Ghostmonkey? She was just asking for personal stories.. anecdotal or not people can be interested in the experiences of others. If this site was meant for only hard facts more than half of the people would not post anything because they would go to their doctors for information. It is just a discussion.
  • Options
    asws1208 said:
    asws1208 said:
    Oh. Look who doesn't get it.

Surprise.

Don't get what @Ghostmonkey? She was just asking for personal stories.. anecdotal or not people can be interested in the experiences of others. If this site was meant for only hard facts more than half of the people would not post anything because they would go to their doctors for information. It is just a discussion.
    Here's suggestion- read ALL of the responses before you answer next time. It will keep you from looking quite so obtuse.

Some people get pregnant the first month. Some never get pregnant ever. She will fall somewhere in that spectrum. How is it in any way beneficial to know how long it took you?

OP said  "I did not think it would happen immediately, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any testimonials of how long it took them to get pregnant after going off the pill?" I answered her. Sometimes it is nice to just hear other's experiences. I am sure you have never asked for someones opinion or experience on anything unless it was going to directly benefit you or give hard evidence. 
  • Options

Everyone is different... out of a 100 people... 100 people will have completly different answers as you've probably seen from the above posts. At this stage, educating yourself is the best thing to do. There are a lot of good articles here on The Bump that will give you some insight about what to do now that you are TTC. Getting to know your body is of the utmost importance. As pp's have suggested... download the fertility friend app, start temping (they have some great, quick, easy tutorials on their site), start charting... that way you will get to know the days that you are ovulating which will increase your chances. Taking Charge of your Fertility is a good read as well and will probably be suggested to you by lots of posters on these forums. You may also want to schedule an appointment with your doctor and let them know you are TTC. I don't know anything about you, but they will give you pointers/suggestions as to your health and ways to optimize getting preggers. Also, definitely read the newbie blogs as a lot of your questions will probably be answered in those as well.

October TTGP Challenge- Villains
    Samara- The Ring
    *I may not be able to keep this all month
     the ring animated GIF
  • Options
    I got pregnant one cycle after going off the pill
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"