Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

toddler has own seat on airplane, help!

Hello! My 21-month-old has his first seat on an airplnae tomorrow for a cross-country trip. It's just me and him, and I'm worried about how I'm going to handle it all. I'm also 28 weeks pregnant--in the past I've always carried him in the Ergo while traveling until we get to the seat, but that's really not possible at this point--or at least not very comfortable! 

We have a Britax Boulevard. It's bulky, and I have never installed it on a plane (or without using Latch for that matter). I'm thinking I want it rear-facing so I can face him and keep him entertained, and so he can't kick the seat in front of him. Having a lot of trouble finding specific information for installing the seat on the plane--is it the same as installing it with a lap belt in a car?  Maybe I should just get a smaller cheap seat? Anyone have a seat they recommend for air travel? I'd rather use this one, but I've read conflicting reports online of it not fitting in all airplane seats.

And I don't know logistically how I'm going to manage him, the seat and the plane. We have a stroller cart thing for the car seat, so I'm not worried about the airport--but how do we all fit down the aisle, and what do I do with him while I install the seat (if I'm not wearing him)? Otherwise, how do I keep him from running around/having a meltdown while I install the seat?

Any tips would be MUCH appreciated!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: toddler has own seat on airplane, help!

• Options
    Installing with a lap belt on the plane is the same as a lap belt in the car.  If he fits the specs, you may consider a Cosco Scenera because it's very lightweight.  Are you a member of the FB group Car Seats for the Littles?  I absolutely recommend it.  They can walk you through the entire process and you'll get great advice for how to manage it logistically :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Thank you! I will check that group out now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bring snacks! We flew with DS at 15 months. Do you have an IPAD? Perhaps he would be willing to sit in a seat next to you and have a sucker or play on a tablet while you installed the car seat? Also, I wouldn't be afraid to ask a flight attendant for some assistance when you get on the plane. We waited until the last minute to get on the plane with DS because the less time he was on the plane the better----that being said I flew with DH and he took our stuff and put in on the plane. So I would recommend boarding when they allow families to before everyone else gets on the plane. You will have more room to maneuver around. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    can you put  LO in the Ergo on your back for going down the aisle?  Practice ahead of time because I think it is a little tricky to get them in the Ergo on your back, but once there, my LO is happy as a clam and that might help free up your arms for carrying the carseat etc to get on the plan.  And could you still wheel the carseet onto the plane?
    WHile you install the seat, can you plop him in your seat and hand him a toy while you install it in the seat next to that?
    I like the idea of a lollipop for takeoff and landing-- if a kid is going to have their first candy, that seems like the right time to do it!

(I haven't traveled with a toddler yet, so am just guessing above, but I will next month so am hoping you get some good answers in this thread!-- i'd love it if you report back with what you did and how it went : )  )

• Options
    I flew with my 14 month old by myself.

I have a Combi Cocorro which is narrow and fits in the seats. Installing it was the same as the lap belt in the car. Some airlines check (not all) that there is a sticker on the seat stating it is FAA approved.

I put LO on my back in a carrier to board the plane and install the seat.

Lots of people offered to help! And people happily helped, I was happily surprised. At first I said no, but by the end of the trip I said 'yes' and would then hand them something to carry, like the car seat as we left the plane. When my friend flew an old lady offered to hold the baby while friend installed the seat, friend said yes, the lady was happy too.
  • Options
    My husband and I traveled with our twins and 2 car seats. I also strongly recommend the FB group Car Seats for the Littles. You will need to get the seatbelt extender from the flight attendant. We had trouble wheeling them through the aisles in the car seats, but you can board first and he can run ahead of you onto the plane. You should recline the seat all the way, install rear facing, then put the seat back up, that way you get the tightest fit. He'll have to go in the window seat. We were able to install rear facing with our Radians, which are pretty big. The flight attendant tried to tell us we couldn't rear face on the plane but at that point they weren't 20 pounds yet so I pushed back a bit and she relented. However you may want to print out some FAA info because sometimes they really don't know the rules. Good luck! Hope it's a smooth flight. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We got a cosco scenara just for travel. Very light weight and inexpensive, something like $30.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Options
    We have a Britax Marathon that we plan to use on the plane in Dec.  If you look in the users manual, there is a section on how to install it in an airplane seat.  If you lost your manual (like we did), it is easy to Google.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"