September 2012 Moms
Options

Besides the UO

2»

Re: Besides the UO

• Options
    My DH was just telling me that he read an article about a woman who was arrested and fired from McDonalds because she let her 9 yo play at a park nearby alone while she worked. I can't decide. It does seem young.
    Yeah, I saw that.  I feel kinda torn--on one hand, the mom clearly couldn't afford to pay for childcare.  At the same time, I don't feel what she did was a great solution, either.  Hey, how about, instead of using the money you'd spend prosecuting her, you funnel that into hiring a couple people to monitor the park next summer and create a safe space for kids to go if their parents can't afford childcare?  (Sounds like the area is being used for public programs anyway--it's where the free summer lunch program was operating out of, from what the article I read said.)

The article I read said her McDonald's did not fire her but wanted to keep her on and was supporting her, but maybe that changed.  And here I had something to be proud of McD's for for once.

And--here's where I'm concerned--SC has no legal age for being left alone.  So--think you're ok to leave your ten year old home alone?  Maybe not.  There's some law on the books that can be molded to charge you if someone wants to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    27boo27boo member
    MrsKipper said:

27boo said:

Using naptime to work out is overrated. I'm on here instead and will then try to work out when she is awake. It's a brilliant plan, I'm sure.

I was working out in the morning before everyone was awake but that got old fast. Now I do it after she wakes up and it actually works fairly well. She gets in the way some but I just keep going and don't worry too much about getting frustrated.
    It's awfully cute when she joins in. Although, planks are definitely harder when she tries to sit on me.
    Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    melody921 said:
    My DH was just telling me that he read an article about a woman who was arrested and fired from McDonalds because she let her 9 yo play at a park nearby alone while she worked. I can't decide. It does seem young.
    I think leaving a kid at a park is even worse than leaving the kid at home. Someone could more easily prey upon the child in public. Besides, what kid spends 9-10 hours at a park?
    When I was a lifeguard, there were a handful of kids that spent all day at the pool while their parents were at work. A summer pool pass was way cheaper than day camp.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    When we were kids, we were locked out of the house from the time we woke up until our dad got home during the summers. My mom would leave water and sandwiches on the front steps at lunch time, and we were allowed to come in one time to use the bathroom. My mom didn't care what we did or where we went as long as we weren't bothering her. It scares me now to think of what could have happened to us. We went allllll over.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    Holly_1007Holly_1007 member
    edited July 2014
    My MiL keeps posting weird passive aggressive shit on Facebook about love and trust and things she never normally posts about. I'm pretty sure it's directed at me so it's really annoying. If you have something to say, say it! And she keeps sharing all my pics of the boys onto her page. Just in the past week or two, she had never done it before. I'm kind of upset by it because I monitor my FB friends list pretty closely and have some pretty tough privacy settings that I know she doesn't have. But I'm too chicken shit to say anything to her. I need to mess with my FB settings to see if I can block people from sharing my photos. Is that an option?

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    MelsaX said:
    DH stayed home from work today, because I am struggling. I feel really guilty for asking him to help me more, because he works full time and I'm at home with the kids. I know it's stupid to feel guilty, but everyone I know IRL is very much a "he works so you deal with the kids and home 24/7". Miles won't feed properly, he won't feed while he's awake, but won't go to sleep. So it's been so hard with wrangling a toddler and trying to get a baby to feed. I also told DH he would be fucked if I died tomorrow. He would have to learn how to cook, clean, find his own shit when he loses it, and raise the kids. He doesn't realise how easy he's got it.

that sounds so friggen stressful :( I'm sorry! Have you seen a LC?? I really struggled nursing Colby. For months it was excruciatingly painful, eventually it got better though! Haha

• Options
    Hyaline said:
    I think there is actually a law in place about how old kids can stay home by themselves. I *think* it's 12 but I'm not positive and it might actually vary by state
    Interesting- I looked it up:
    Legal age to stay home alone by state

I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving my kid for the whole day until she was 12, but my kids are so young right now, maybe I'm not qualified to say...
    Illinois is 14?  That seems excessive to me.  I was babysitting when I was 12.  Not mother's helper while mom is home sitting, but going to houses and staying there by myself sitting.

I was like 70 when I was 12, though, so I think it depends hugely on the kid.  But for a law? 14 is a little old as a minimum IMO.
    This was me too. My lil bro is 11 years younger than I am, so I was sitting for an infant at 11 for a few hours at a time. Being home alone was common.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    My MiL keeps posting weird passive aggressive shit on Facebook about love and trust and things she never normally posts about. I'm pretty sure it's directed at me so it's really annoying. If you have something to say, say it! And she keeps sharing all my pics of the boys onto her page. Just in the past week or two, she had never done it before. I'm kind of upset by it because I monitor my FB friends list pretty closely and have some pretty tough privacy settings that I know she doesn't have. But I'm too chicken shit to say anything to her. I need to mess with my FB settings to see if I can block people from sharing my photos. Is that an option?
    Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure FB recently updated their policy so that if someone shares a pic you post on your page, it is not available to her whole list, only the people you have in common. 

Now if she is saving the pic and reposting completely, it goes to her whole list. 

I am sorry you are dealing with her too. How annoying. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited August 2014
    MelsaX said:
    DH stayed home from work today, because I am struggling. I feel really guilty for asking him to help me more, because he works full time and I'm at home with the kids. I know it's stupid to feel guilty, but everyone I know IRL is very much a "he works so you deal with the kids and home 24/7". Miles won't feed properly, he won't feed while he's awake, but won't go to sleep. So it's been so hard with wrangling a toddler and trying to get a baby to feed. I also told DH he would be fucked if I died tomorrow. He would have to learn how to cook, clean, find his own shit when he loses it, and raise the kids. He doesn't realise how easy he's got it.
    Ugh who cares what people IRL think.  Things stay "new-baby-super-hard" for such a short time in the scheme of things, and none of them will remember what you did or didn't need/get help with.  But for you, when you're in it and it's your life, it can make the difference between barely surviving and thriving for the whole family.  Glad you're handing some things over to your DH.

I totally get where you're coming from on the "you're screwed if I die" front.  My DH is very hands on, but it's crazy the things he relies on me for, without even thinking about it.  He just found out where we store the extra diapers like a month ago, and he asks for complete instructions any time he has to feed one of the girls anything.  Then again, there are probably things I'd be screwed with if he died tomorrow too- I can't even open the stupid pickle jars by myself half the time haha.
  • Options
    Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure FB recently updated their policy so that if someone shares a pic you post on your page, it is not available to her whole list, only the people you have in common. 

Now if she is saving the pic and reposting completely, it goes to her whole list. 

I am sorry you are dealing with her too. How annoying. 

ugh idk. I just went on her page and a bunch of people liked and commented on them that we aren't FB friends with. I'm going to go through my privacy settings now. So frustrating.

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    melody921 said:
    I think leaving a kid at a park is even worse than leaving the kid at home. Someone could more easily prey upon the child in public. Besides, what kid spends 9-10 hours at a park?
    When I was a lifeguard, there were a handful of kids that spent all day at the pool while their parents were at work. A summer pool pass was way cheaper than day camp.

Our private club was my baby sitter many summers. A year family membership was the price of three weeks at a sitter. Win for all. I had an awesome tan too.

• Options
    OceanLover26OceanLover26 member
    edited August 2014

This is such weird timing, I had a conversation with some ladies at work last Saturday about the Latch Key hours and leaving their kids home alone.  I wanted to know what was normal and most common.  The consensus among the ladies at work was by 9 years old they were getting off the bus and letting themselves in till the parents got home an hour or two later. They didn't mention leaving them longer than that.

@MarisaKathleen I'm sorry.  I'm sending positive thoughts and well wishes her way!

On a more positive not I have a job interview Monday for a full-time position.  I did, like, 5 tuck jumps in excitement after I got off the phone with the interviewer, no lie. 

Edited.  Thank you everyone for your positive words!
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Options
    MRoxy0628MRoxy0628 member
    edited August 2014
    @OceanLover26‌ I'm sorry you're going through this, I would be upset too. I think you need to confront him, but I think you're wise to do it when you can address it calmly. Did the therapist have any suggestions for how to work through a conversation like this? Hugs. And congrats on the job interview!
  • Options
    @OceanLover26‌ I'm really sorry. I'll be thinking of you. Good for you for holding your tongue until you're ready for the conversation. Best of luck to you with all of it:(
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @OceanLover26‌ huge hugs to you. It is so hard when your spouse isn't honest with you. It really breaks you down as a person. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Can you give your therapist a call and ask for help on how to have a conversation with your H? Best of luck!

• Options
    Oh goodness melsa definitely call an LC! You have been struggling for a while now, that is no fun! Breast feeding is hard enough with a cooperative baby! I hope that you get things resolved quickly! And tell Andy to stop being a shit ;)

• Options
    @OceanLover26‌ huge hugs to you. It is so hard when your spouse isn't honest with you. It really breaks you down as a person. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Can you give your therapist a call and ask for help on how to have a conversation with your H? Best of luck!
    @Oceanlover26 I agree with all of this. It may be helpful to go back to counseling to have the conversation. I am so sorry. Good luck with everything.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    When we were kids, we were locked out of the house from the time we woke up until our dad got home during the summers. My mom would leave water and sandwiches on the front steps at lunch time, and we were allowed to come in one time to use the bathroom. My mom didn't care what we did or where we went as long as we weren't bothering her. It scares me now to think of what could have happened to us. We went allllll over.
    Whoa. That is really scary.

• Options
    melody921melody921 member
    edited August 2014
    @OceanLover26, I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I'd wait to talk to him until you can do it calmly.

• Options
    @OceanLover26 Congrats on the interview! 

I'm so sorry you're struggling with your husband so much.  I don't think there's an easy way to have conversations like that- your pain will show and that's okay, and probably good for your DH to see.  I'd maybe just think through/write down the points you want to make and start off with the fact that your family members have noticed his IG activity and you feel humiliated and like your losing trust again.  Is it possible to have the conversation with the therapist or in a session?  Hugs, mama, you'll make it through this.
  • Options

I'm so sorry you're struggling with your husband so much.  I don't think there's an easy way to have conversations like that- your pain will show and that's okay, and probably good for your DH to see.  I'd maybe just think through/write down the points you want to make and start off with the fact that your family members have noticed his IG activity and you feel humiliated and like your losing trust again.  Is it possible to have the conversation with the therapist or in a session?  Hugs, mama, you'll make it through this.
    I actually made some notes so that I could start organizing my thoughts!  I didn't think about taking him back to the therapist to confront him there.  I'll consider that. I'm definitely going there myself.
  • Options

I actually made some notes so that I could start organizing my thoughts!  I didn't think about taking him back to the therapist to confront him there.  I'll consider that. I'm definitely going there myself.
    Good idea to talk to your therapist alone and get some feedback about the best way to proceed.  She might suggest both of you coming in, or might feel it's better to talk on your own (I'm not sure a confrontation in-office is every therapist's style, but she might suggest filling a mediator role).
  • Options
    Hyaline said:

Good idea to talk to your therapist alone and get some feedback about the best way to proceed.  She might suggest both of you coming in, or might feel it's better to talk on your own (I'm not sure a confrontation in-office is every therapist's style, but she might suggest filling a mediator role).
    Thank you, I didn't think of that.  The more I've thought about it, I've decided I'm going to go in on my own to see her, and then deal with this at home after.  There's going to be a lot to this, I'm sure, so I think that he and I doing it alone would be best.
  • Options
    @OceanLover26, I admire your restraint.  I call my DH out on stuff right when it happens when I'm full of emotion because for me personally, when I sit and stew, it's so, so, so much worse in my head.  I'm so sorry you're dealing with his shenanigans again.  Hopefully it'll all get worked out.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    Big hugs @OceanLover26. I hope seeing your therapists helps to put you at ease and you are able to have a helpful conversation with your DH.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

DS finally learned the word penis today. It's like it's impossible for little boys to not SHOUT the word penis. Joy.

So I'm up with a stomach bug and very tired. Totally read this as your DH.
                                     http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"