September 2012 Moms

Besides the UO

Put all of your other thoughts and opinions here. :-) 

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

Re: Besides the UO

• Ethan is home with a stomach bug. DH picked him up from DC yesterday and is home with him today. I'm praying Maya doesn't get it too. Of course I'm probably doomed because I caught her drinking from his water bottle last night because she wanted juice (Pedialyte) and I had told her no. I should have just given her some. #momfail
  • I'm back to work today after 7 glorious days off and I'm ready to be done. I have a mountain of paperwork and my colleague's wife is due any second with their 3rd child. I'm going to be here by myself for a few days and I'm not looking forward to it.

I have another stye on my right eye so I'm wearing my glasses. I hate wearing them and all I want to do is itch it. So itchy!

• Loading the player...
  • I mentioned the other day that DH's cousin has a Go Fund Me to get visitation with his son back. He has been reposting the link to it every 6 hours since he started it with little stories or pics of his kid. Today he posted that he needs to step up his efforts to get money because she filed to terminate his custody. I think I need to block him but I feel bad because the kid is really sweet. I sent him 3 links to Father' Advocacy programs he can contact for free. If he doesn't do that, I'll feel better about blocking him.
  • @beebopandbuddy, did you ever find out the whole story?  Is there a legitimate reason the Mom is trying to terminate, or is it their fight and she's using the kid against him?

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Sex tapes: this topic has randomly come up in enough conversations recently, that I'm starting to wonder if I'm in the minority for never having made one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My BFF just called---she found out just before the 4th that she has breast cancer, stage 0, good prognosis.  Well, she was opting for the double mastectomy and reconstruction since her Mother died at only 50 from the same thing.  She went in and was having more follow up work done and they found cancer in 2 different spots on her kidney so now she's having that out.  They're saying that's more immediate of a need than her breast cancer.  I just can't believe it.  She's only 41 years old. Runs marathons.  Is in great health.  Has a 6yr old.  Cancer scares the shit out of me.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• My BFF just called---she found out just before the 4th that she has breast cancer, stage 0, good prognosis.  Well, she was opting for the double mastectomy and reconstruction since her Mother died at only 50 from the same thing.  She went in and was having more follow up work done and they found cancer in 2 different spots on her kidney so now she's having that out.  They're saying that's more immediate of a need than her breast cancer.  I just can't believe it.  She's only 41 years old. Runs marathons.  Is in great health.  Has a 6yr old.  Cancer scares the shit out of me.
    Wow, that's scary. I hope they can get it all and she's back to being healthy.

That is crazy. Glad they found it early enough on both accounts. Cancer is so scary. FX for her!

• @beebopandbuddy, did you ever find out the whole story?  Is there a legitimate reason the Mom is trying to terminate, or is it their fight and she's using the kid against him?

He says she had him arrested after a verbal altercation. That's all he will say, which doesn't explain much. I think he thinks he's explaining that he didn't touch her, so it was unfair, but he could have easily threatened her or something. That totally seems like something he would do.
  • Newt69Newt69 member
    DS finally learned the word penis today. It's like it's impossible for little boys to not SHOUT the word penis. Joy.
    Or constantly grabbing for it...ugh
  • My H had to go back to work today after 10 days off for paternity leave. My SIL is here to help with Audrey, which I really appreciate, but she is only 18 and I have zero in common with her. She's here until next Sunday and I've already run out of things to talk to her about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

That's scary! Lots if T&Ps for her!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I paid $120 to alter my bridesmaid dress for Saturday. The dress cost $115 originally. Ugh. And I plan to wear super high heels for the pictures to try and look skinny. Then I'm going with sparkly sandals for the ceremony and reception. Why do I care so much about appearing skinny when I'm pregnant? I have a problem.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Would you guys let your 10yr old son stay home all day by himself while you're at work?  Am I being a bitch for judging this, or is this weird?  My nephew is 9.  I can't imagine him being responsible enough in a year to stay home all day while my brother is at work.  I know that all kinds are different, but 10 seems pretty young to me.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• @MarisaKathleen‌ I don't think you're being a bitch, but I think a lot of kids probably start staying home around that age. I'm pretty sure I did. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it, but who knows.
  • I think there is actually a law in place about how old kids can stay home by themselves. I *think* it's 12 but I'm not positive and it might actually vary by state

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • I think there is actually a law in place about how old kids can stay home by themselves. I *think* it's 12 but I'm not positive and it might actually vary by state
    Interesting- I looked it up:
    Legal age to stay home alone by state

I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving my kid for the whole day until she was 12, but my kids are so young right now, maybe I'm not qualified to say...
  • Nola has croup. She sounds so pitiful but her hoarse little voice is also kind of cute.

Anniversary

• Would you guys let your 10yr old son stay home all day by himself while you're at work?  Am I being a bitch for judging this, or is this weird?  My nephew is 9.  I can't imagine him being responsible enough in a year to stay home all day while my brother is at work.  I know that all kinds are different, but 10 seems pretty young to me.
    No way

• 27boo said:

Using naptime to work out is overrated. I'm on here instead and will then try to work out when she is awake. It's a brilliant plan, I'm sure.

I was working out in the morning before everyone was awake but that got old fast. Now I do it after she wakes up and it actually works fairly well. She gets in the way some but I just keep going and don't worry too much about getting frustrated.

Anniversary

No.

My neighbor has been home alone from 8am-2pm all summer long. Every time it storms he ends up at our house. He also comes over to bake cookies or 'babysit' twice a week. If I wasn't next door I don't know what he would do.

I started staying home alone at 11. I was never home, I went to friends houses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving my kid for the whole day until she was 12, but my kids are so young right now, maybe I'm not qualified to say...

In Kansas the age is 6?! Holy shit.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • I'm going to Ikea and Trader Joe's for the first time ever tomorrow.  Eeee!

Eat in the cafe and pack snacks for IKEA. I always get so hungry halfwY through and there's no quick way out!!

Anniversary

OMG, that's insane. So dangerous.

• Newt69Newt69 member

In NY there is no age listed...scary....

I started at age 10 staying home alone, but my mom worked across the street from our house....most days I ended riding my bike across the street to see her.

That is exactly what I thought.  No way in hell my daughter at six will be staying home alone.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Hyaline said:
    I think there is actually a law in place about how old kids can stay home by themselves. I *think* it's 12 but I'm not positive and it might actually vary by state

Illinois is 14?  That seems excessive to me.  I was babysitting when I was 12.  Not mother's helper while mom is home sitting, but going to houses and staying there by myself sitting.

I was like 70 when I was 12, though, so I think it depends hugely on the kid.  But for a law? 14 is a little old as a minimum IMO.
    Agreed. I babysat on my own at 12/13. It definitely depends on the kid. PA doesn't even have a minimum.

• Hyaline said:
    I think there is actually a law in place about how old kids can stay home by themselves. I *think* it's 12 but I'm not positive and it might actually vary by state

Illinois is 14?  That seems excessive to me.  I was babysitting when I was 12.  Not mother's helper while mom is home sitting, but going to houses and staying there by myself sitting.

I was like 70 when I was 12, though, so I think it depends hugely on the kid.  But for a law? 14 is a little old as a minimum IMO.
    I was going to say the same thing... Most of the ages listed (with asterix) are just recommendations, not law, but Illinois's 14 is the law.  I feel like if parents left a child home alone and something happened because the child wasn't mature enough for it, the police would have other laws they could site though. 
  • I'm not sure what age I was when I was home alone. I know it wasn't for a whole day though. I really think it depends on the maturity of the child, siblings around/no siblings around and how far way from home mom/dad works. In a large city it can take a while for the parent to get home. My town, 5 minutes with traffic from pretty much anywhere. I can't say I'd let DS but I really don't know. There are a lot of factores that come into play for that decision.

• hmp1hmp1 member
    Would you guys let your 10yr old son stay home all day by himself while you're at work?  Am I being a bitch for judging this, or is this weird?  My nephew is 9.  I can't imagine him being responsible enough in a year to stay home all day while my brother is at work.  I know that all kinds are different, but 10 seems pretty young to me.
    Age is a hard thing to determine when this is appropriate; I think it depends on the child and other support you have (stay at home neighbors with kids his age to play with). But I do think all day everyday in the summer while you work is too much for a 10 year old. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I agree that maturity plays a huge part in it, and whoever said it's unfair to the kid--you're right!  I hadn't thought of that.  In my neighborhood growing up, there were a lot of kids right around my age, and we were really close with our neighbors, so it probably wouldn't have been an issue.  I remember my Mom leaving me home for the first time when I was 11 and running to Piggly Wiggly which was less than a mile away and thinking I was so awesome.  I promptly called my best friend and bragged about how I was home alone.  My Mom was home not even 15 minutes later. :-(

My boss didn't hire a sitter until August, so their son has been home alone for 6-8hrs every day for the whole month of July, save for the 4 days there were on vacation.  I just feel like that's excessive.  Once in awhile, sure, especially because I'm sure most parents would be checking in all the time.  I just think everyday is a lot of responsibility for a kid.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• FFTC: I L O V E D summer camp.  I loved it so much I was a jr. councelor from 13-15, then I worked there from 16-21.  It was so awesome.  I'm still close friends with some of the people I went to day camp with. :-)

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• My DH was just telling me that he read an article about a woman who was arrested and fired from McDonalds because she let her 9 yo play at a park nearby alone while she worked. I can't decide. It does seem young.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My DH was just telling me that he read an article about a woman who was arrested and fired from McDonalds because she let her 9 yo play at a park nearby alone while she worked. I can't decide. It does seem young.
    I think leaving a kid at a park is even worse than leaving the kid at home. Someone could more easily prey upon the child in public. Besides, what kid spends 9-10 hours at a park?

• 27boo27boo member

Would you guys let your 10yr old son stay home all day by himself while you're at work?  Am I being a bitch for judging this, or is this weird?  My nephew is 9.  I can't imagine him being responsible enough in a year to stay home all day while my brother is at work.  I know that all kinds are different, but 10 seems pretty young to me.

Most 4th graders are 10 by summer. Some of my students could definitely handle it and some...no flipping way. A lot of factors would go into it, but I think it just depends on the kid.

Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"