November 2014 Moms

How to say "No kids at the shower"?

While we're on the topic of kids and weddings, I thought I'd ask if any of you had a suggestion about how to (nicely) say that our shower is adults only.  Or if we even need to say anything at all.

We're having a co-ed shower in an outdoor shelter at a county park.  My best friends, who are throwing my shower, are concerned that because it's co-ed and it's outside, people will think it's just an informal BBQ and bring all their kids when it's really meant to be an adult event (wine, grown up games and conversation, etc. - more garden party, less BBQ).  

Our concern isn't the infants, they just sort of lay there, but with the 3 and 4 year old kids (who at a recent dinner gathering ran, yelled, refused to sit down, and insisted on interrupting DH and I constantly during dinner with no intervention from the parents).  I want to enjoy my shower, talk to our friends, and not feel compelled to pay attention to other peoples' poorly behaved children.

So, is there a way to say it nicely or is "adults only" the only way to go?
Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

Re: How to say "No kids at the shower"?

• jac409jac409 member
    I agree. I would just say adults only on the invite and be done with it. I don't think it's rude at all, just like it isn't rude to have an adults only reception. People can choose not to attend if it is an issue for them.
  • Loading the player...
  • FhSTAR81 said:
    FhSTAR81 said:
    We had kids at mine I loved it. They helped up of gifts. At my sisters we had games just for kids too.

Yup! Bring me all the kids!!

OP, I get that you are going to have a shower with lots of drinking and adult entertainment which is why you don't want kids there. It also sounds like an inappropriate place to bring a child. But this ISN'T a wedding and while this is probably an UO, I do think it's rude to not include kids at a baby shower. A baby shower is about welcoming the mother-to-be into the world of motherhood, it's celebrating you AND your baby, which is a kid. Maybe the baby shower board will give you a better answer? I think I'm too biased to give a good answer here.
    Yeah, I agree. Kids kind of gi hand and hand with a baby shower to me. I would have been sad if no kids were there.

Me too :) heck, I even had one kid at my bachelorette party! The mom was from out of town and didnt want to leave him. None of us got overly drunk and he slept for half of it. It didnt bother me in the slightest.
  • CPM13CPM13 member
    Everyone should have the shower that they want but I am also a bit surprised that the kids bother you so much! We had a bunch of kids (3 months to 11 years old) at our shower and they were so adorably into it and helpful. But "adults only" will certainly send the message. Good luck!
  • I would just put "adults only" I am sure a few won't come especiallybeing co-ed, meaning hey get a baby sitter for my party.
    I personally wouldn't get offended. Also I am a ftm so if I wasn't I might feel different. I also disagree with unruly children.

Last thing where on earth do you live to have alcohol at a county park???
  • "Adults only" is probably fine if you really want no kids there.  Otherwise, maybe the shower invites could be specifically addressed with just the parents' names?  That way, it would be clear who is invited.

• Maelara said:
    FhSTAR81 said:
    We had kids at mine I loved it. They helped up of gifts. At my sisters we had games just for kids too.

Yup! Bring me all the kids!!

OP, I get that you are going to have a shower with lots of drinking and adult entertainment which is why you don't want kids there. It also sounds like an inappropriate place to bring a child. But this ISN'T a wedding and while this is probably an UO, I do think it's rude to not include kids at a baby shower. A baby shower is about welcoming the mother-to-be into the world of motherhood, it's celebrating you AND your baby, which is a kid. Maybe the baby shower board will give you a better answer? I think I'm too biased to give a good answer here.
    Is it bad that my mind immediately jumped to strippers when you mentioned "adult entertainment"? 

Aside from drinking (which I can honestly say goes on at most of the baby showers I've been to -- usually wine or champagne punch), I'm trying to picture what kind of fun adult entertainment you could have at a baby shower. Games...like pin the peesh on the US photo? 

(I just found out our friends are throwing us a "surprise" co-ed baby shower at the end of this month. Pretty much everyone is going to be adults. Maybe I'm looking for ideas?)

Lol! You never know! She said 'adult games, adult conversation' so I paraphrased with adult entertainment. Having strippers there would be hilarious, tacky but hilarious!
  • @creativesoul83 - NY is pretty lenient on that type of thing.  We pay enough in taxes that we should be able to drink in any county park we want.

And just to be clear, this isn't a day-binge-drinking affair with strippers. :)  Some of the other moms are pregnant, some are BF-ing, but there will be wine and beer for those that can partake.  And I don't know about the "adult games" - that's all my girlfriends told me.  But they know better than to make it raunchy.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• @creativesoul83 - NY is pretty lenient on that type of thing.  We pay enough in taxes that we should be able to drink in any county park we want.

And just to be clear, this isn't a day-binge-drinking affair with strippers. :)  Some of the other moms are pregnant, some are BF-ing, but there will be wine and beer for those that can partake.  And I don't know about the "adult games" - that's all my girlfriends told me.  But they know better than to make it raunchy.

BAHAHAHA! How you put that 'day-binge-drinking affair with strippers' made me laugh! I honestly didn't think of it that way, it was just a funny thing because I used the phrase adult entertainment. I really didn't mean strippers though!! Honestly, if you don't want kids there then just put it on the invitations. I don't agree with it but as it's been pointed out to me by some other ladies, it's probably a regional thing and that's ok :)
  • I'm having two showers, one for family where I will invite older friends with kids and another friends "adults only" shower. We had to cut costs that way. If people don't want to find a sitter they don't have to come. If people think I'm rude, so be it but the person throwing the shower can't afford to pay for everyone and their 3 or 4 kids.
  • Instead of saying "adults only", could you just say there will be "adult beverages & games?"  That way you aren't flat out saying no kids, but they will be able to see that it's not going to be an environment meant for bringing kids :)

I have been to a million baby showers, & I do see kids at them, but they tend to be infants.  I wouldn't mind kids coming as long as they aren't running around crazy.  If DH had something going on & it was either bring DS or miss the shower, I would probably bring him, but I never just bring him when DH is home to watch him.  To me, showers are come alone but if you have to bring your kid to come, then bring them...if that makes sense!
  • Pin the penis on the fetus?!?! That's an awesome idea!
  • It's your right to make a call about kids vs adults only, but I agree that something explicit (pardon the pun) needs to be said given that it is men and women at a park during the day. I would def assume that means kids are welcome.
  • Our county parks in Charlotte let you bring booze if you pay a $50 fee.

This is a tough question. I'm allowing kids at my shower but it's super laid back and I don't have many friends with kids anyway. I get your point about rambunctious kids, it's too bad it's the one couple ruining it for everyone else. Maybe they would rather leave the kids at home anyway?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I recently attended 2 showers back to back with the same kids there and the second one had additional kids there. They were all 4-6ish. Probably about 7 or 8 kids total. It was at my church, so I know all of the kids in fact had all of them in my preschool class at one time or another before I stepped down from serving. They went WILD, both times! 2nd time moreso because it was longer, but even though the host had things for them to do, it didn't last long. The boys were running everywhere all up on the stage, hiding under cake table and the food tables, knocking everything over, grabbing stuff...it was insane. The girls weren't as bad, which is typical I've found. My friend that's hosting my shower was with me both times, and towards the end of the 2nd one looked at me and said "I think I'm going to have childcare at your shower. This is nuts." One of the boys acting up was her son even! I agreed with her because a lot of people were getting frustrated with the kids, especially the hosts who had put so much effort into it. Because its at a church, we can have some of the girls from our youth group come and watch the kids for us if needed. I told her that I hadn't been to a baby shower since becoming an adult, but when I did where I'm from, kids don't go to showers. Yes, babies but no toddlers and up. Its just a woman thing. But I know that times have changed as well as I live in a different state so the culture is different as well. I'm open to whichever she wants to do, although I gotta say I was a tad bit stressed with the kids running all under the tables knocking food and stuff. I can't imagine if its my own shower how stressed I'd be.

However, yours is at a park so yes I can see where people would want to bring their kids. Is there a playground there? If so, then the kids would most likely be there most of the time anyway.

10/16/04 ~ lost our first baby boy at 20 weeks due to IC

3/05 ~ another loss at 12 weeks

2/14/06 ~ Our sweet valentine miracle was born after a nightmarish 8 months!

Surprise Baby Boy, born sleeping at 31 weeks on 9/21/14

• We are having our shower at a restaurant so cost is an issue for us. That said, we chose not to have many children at ours - we made exceptions for people that we know wouldn't be able to attend without their children, but they are all well behaved so we're ok with that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited July 2014
    My shower is going to be at a restaurant.  I didn't put kids names on the invitations, but if a mom wants to bring her child, it doesn't matter to me.  My niece will be there - she's 4.  I'll probably buy her a coloring book or something. 

I have a lot of friends who have had babies since the last time I saw them so I'm kind of hoping folks bring their babies!!

I think if you want an adults only shower the only way to ensure that is to put "Adults Only" on the invitation.  I do think it's a little odd to request it when your shower will be outside at a park.

• Maelara said:
    I've always seen kids at showers. It's usually a given in my circle that they will be there so I don't know? You might just have to put it on the invitation and risk people not coming.
    This - I've always seen kids at a baby shower co-ed or not.

• I swear I've seen this topic on the Baby Shower board, but I can't seem to find it. I think whether or not children are invited depends on the situation. It could be a regional thing, but it also has to do with how formal the setting is. Because the OP's shower is co-ed and at a park, many people would assume it is a family event. -- This could be a good question for the Baby Shower board.
  • I have LOTS of input!!

1)  Am I the only one that is bothered by serving alcohol at a baby shower?  The thought of everyone having adult beverages at my shower makes me want to cry.   Why?  Because I'm not allowed to have any!! I've never been to a baby shower that served alcohol.  That's just rudeness to the mom or maybe i'm just selfish!!  I have, however, heard of a "sip and see" which occurs after the baby is born.  The mother invites her friends over to "sip" some adult beverages and "see" the baby for the first time. 

2)  Where i'm from EVERYBODY brings their kids to any and all showers to show them off.  It's like, "oh, congrats on your baby...this is MY baby and he/she is the best baby in the world!!"  It's quite entertaining. 

3) Personally, I think you should include your last paragraph on the invitation so that the guests know exactly what's up.  I've rephrased it a little...but it goes like this...

If you have infants, you are more than welcome to bring them to my shower because they just sort of lay there.  Any child between the ages of 3 and 4 are NOT allowed because who wants children who run, yell, refuse to sit down and insist on interupting everyone's conversation.  However, you if feel you can actually discpline your child during the shower to keep them from causing a ruckess, you are more than welcome to bring them.  My goal is to enjoy my shower, have meaningful conversations with every one of you and not feel compelled to pay attention to anyone's poorly behaved child whom the parents refuse to discpline.   Please leave those brats at home.     We look forward to seeing you!! 

;);)

:-bd :-bd

I completely agree with you! I actually have a funny/rude story that happened at my bridal shower. Since my mom & aunts were hosting and paying, they asked if it was okay if we didn't serve alcohol. I had no problem at all with it, I barely drink; it was a Sunday afternoon and everyone was driving from far places. Plus I knew alcohol was not a good idea for my DH's family since they're insane already. I told my MIL in advance and so did DH, she agreed. Well as soon as everyone got to the restaurant and DH's family sat at their table, all hell broke loose. They ordered bottles and bottles of wine, they paid for it but to me it was still completely rude. I was so pissed off that she did that, they were so drunk that it was rude. So glad they won't be at my baby shower :)
    Do we have the same inlaws?  Haha, DH has three younger siblings between the ages of 23-26.  They get shit faced EVERYWHERE they go.  I didn't want to have an open bar at our wedding because I wanted their intake to be limited.  DH insisted that it would be rude if we didn't so we served all night.  His sister got so bad that the country club cut her off and we later caught her trying to break into the wine cabinet to get more alcohol.  WTF!!

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• mb314mb314 member
    In terms of alcohol, I think it depends upon the circumstance.  My women-only shower at my mom's bf's house was dry, but it was a very traditional shower.  My shower hosted by my inlaws was wet - it was a backyard BBQ, co-ed, family event.  They served wine and beer (or maybe just beer).  I was totally fine with it - by that point, I was used to not drinking and being around people who were enjoying a drink.  No one got sh*t-faced, and everyone drank responsibly, so I didn't mind.  I know if I hadn't been pregnant, I would have appreciated a beer or glass of wine at someone else's shower. 

• I would write an adult only party, I have never been to a kid free baby shower, we actually are doing my baby shower at a in door play area, rent the area so kids are busy while adults can do the baby shower, but I also have children already and they will very much be included in the shower. I would get use to kids being loud and at parties, your about to enter the world of parenthood... kids will now be everywhere. Children are not made to be quiet and sit still for a long amount if time, I learned if you have activities to keep them busy, life is much easier.
  • I would write "adults only please" and not think twice about it.  I don't think kids need to be at everything. Especially if I am drinking or want to be drinking, my kid would be with grandma. I do hope my shower is mostly kid free but out of all the people invited, not many have kids so I'm ok with not saying anything. My wedding was actually kind of a mess because of kids. They were allowed to run around and they disturbed many of the activities. Guests couldn't even be on the dance floor without kids bumping into them or almost stepping on one of them.  

(Maybe this should be in OU :-/  ) It bothers me when I see even some of our family members let their kids run around adult parties where there is drinking until very late. The kids are usually unsupervised for the most part. I'm just the person though who would get a baby sitter so I can enjoy the night and not worry about endangering my kids life because I want a beer. Everyone is different. DH's cousins don't see any problem and have always allowed their children to be exposed to all the drinking and adults getting loud or telling inappropriate stories.

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• I would write "adults only please" and not think twice about it.  I don't think kids need to be at everything. Especially if I am drinking or want to be drinking, my kid would be with grandma. I do hope my shower is mostly kid free but out of all the people invited, not many have kids so I'm ok with not saying anything. My wedding was actually kind of a mess because of kids. They were allowed to run around and they disturbed many of the activities. Guests couldn't even be on the dance floor without kids bumping into them or almost stepping on one of them.  

(Maybe this should be in OU :-/  ) It bothers me when I see even some of our family members let their kids run around adult parties where there is drinking until very late. The kids are usually unsupervised for the most part. I'm just the person though who would get a baby sitter so I can enjoy the night and not worry about endangering my kids life because I want a beer. Everyone is different. DH's cousins don't see any problem and have always allowed their children to be exposed to all the drinking and adults getting loud or telling inappropriate stories.

Woah here. One beer is hardly endangering your kids life. 

True. But I'm more of a safe than sorry person. If I want to cut loose and drink (in any amount), I will find a baby sitter. This will not always happen as I don't have to drink just because I am out.

Sad true story though, a lady I know literally had 1 beer and then drover her son to one of his friend's house. On the way she saw someone she knew and rolled down her window to talk to them. That person smelled her one beer and called the cops and CPS. It caused a nightmare for her entire family for over a year and she lost her state job because of it. Not saying this can or would happen, but better safe than sorry. People are assholes and you can't control them.    

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"