October 2014 Moms

Update on my broken DH

Thanks for all of your support the other day, ladies.  You know how to make a girl feel loved.  :)

We went to the orthopedist office at the hospital for a follow up appointment yesterday morning, and things are far worse than anyone thought. 

Luckily, DH's orthopedist is the top ortho trauma surgeon in the area, so he's got that going for him.  He was admitted and had emergency surgery yesterday afternoon to fix the horrific dislocation.  DH is still in the hospital and will be there til at least tomorrow.  Once they fixed the dislocation, they put some pins and bars on it to stabilize it, and he'll have the surgery to fix the broken bones either late next week or early the following week, once the swelling has gone down.  I said the surgeon is top in his field - when he came in yesterday and looked at the x-rays and DH's leg, he looked overwhelmed.  It was a scary morning and a really stressful day, but yesterday's surgery was a pretty straightforward one, and it went really well, so we're on to the next, I guess.

DH has to get better at getting himself around with this rig on his leg before he can go home, and he's having a Cat Scan this afternoon so the doc can see all the bone fragments in there in 3D to get a better handle on the next surgery.  Eeeesh.

My parents had DD sleep over last night so I could stay at the hospital later (DH didn't get back from surgery until after 7 last night), and it was kind of amazing to have the house to myself last night and this morning, I gotta say.  Selfishness be damned, it was one night and morning to myself, and it was nice.

I'm contemplating bringing DD to the hospital to see him tonight, but we don't want her to be too scared.  She was scared of the soft cast/splint he had on it over the weekend, so she's probably going to be terrified of the bars and pins sticking out of it.  She's gotta get over that, though - he's going to have it on for at least a week.  (I think we're going to call him robo-daddy for the week)  I'm just unsure whether it would be better for her to see it at home than in the hospital - sometimes hospitals can be kind of scary in an of themselves, right?  Any advice on that?  The other option would be for them to facetime tonight instead.  She misses him a ton.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Update on my broken DH

• I'm sorry it's so much worse than you thought, but glad things are going well with the surgeries so far. I hope it continues to go smoothly and he has a relatively quick recovery!
  • Oh no, I am so sorry it is worse than they thought but glad they he is getting immediate help.  Hope that expert surgeon fixes it right up.

No advice re your DD, but I found Robodady very cute.  Also glad that you had a nice quiet morning.  I am sure you needed that.

• Loading the player...
  • Glas43Glas43 member
    So glad the first part went well! I would probably wait until he was home for your DD. As that is a lot to take in, im a physical therapist and some people kids especially dont do well with that stuff. To see it in a home and familiar environment might help. Plus then she can look from afar.
  • MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    Wow, that does sound really bad. I'm sorry for all of you!
  • Glas43 said:
    So glad the first part went well! I would probably wait until he was home for your DD. As that is a lot to take in, im a physical therapist and some people kids especially dont do well with that stuff. To see it in a home and familiar environment might help. Plus then she can look from afar.
    Thanks for your perspective.  I think you're right.  I showed a friend at work a picture of DH's leg with the frame on it, and she said she thinks DD is going to be pretty freaked out by it.  So I think we should wait til he's home.  In the meantime, they can facetime tonight, I guess.

Now I have to do damage control, because I told DD this morning that daddy was probably going to be home tonight, and now he's not.  Oops.
  • Oh no! Are they saying longer recovery time than the initial 6 weeks?
  • I think a big part of kids seeing something like that is how other people around them react to it. If you and your DH have a positive attitude about "it looks scary, but it's not. Its just helping daddy's leg heal," that will help vs. if she comes in with grandma or someone who gasps and starts making a big deal about it (I only say that because that's what my mom would do).

I'm so sorry to hear it's worse than you thought. I'm glad you at least got some alone time to recharge!
  • andrieya said:
    Oh no! Are they saying longer recovery time than the initial 6 weeks?
    Oh yes.  He cannot put any weight on it at all for 3 months.  So, at the end of October, he can start trying to walk again.  By Thanksgiving, he should be able to drive.  His doc said to plan for 3 months out of work, and hope that he is able to go back to office work sooner than that, but he's not going to be able to get back to court until probably 3 months.  I'm due in 9 weeks.

Honestly, though, I'm trying not to think about any of that for now, and just focusing on one thing at a time.  Right now, that thing is getting him out of the hospital and through the next week at home with this frame on his leg.
  • Who would have thought something like foot/ankle could be so darn complex!  I'm sorry it was worse than thought, hopefully recovery goes well and he is able to heal quickly.

T&P for you and hour husband!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Oh no! Glad the ortho was about to do some damage control and fix some things now.

In regards to DD, I would say wait and do it at home. Specially if she was scared of the soft cast. That way she can work up to it.

For you. I am glad you enjoyed a quiet house. Gives you some breathing room. Make sure you are taking care of yourself and baby too. Don't need both mom and dad in the hospital.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • hippohathippohat member
    edited July 2014
    Could you google and find a not-so-scary picture of a similar injury? I would probably sit with DD (if I could find said photo) and describe what it's all about, then you could start the joking about robo-daddy ahead of time. If your DH is in good spirits it may be a little less scary to see Daddy with stuff on his leg if it's already a little familiar and the story is already started. 

Big massive hugs - my DH has chronic health issues and I completely understand the trouble dealing with it. It's hard not to be resentful, they can't help it and it certainly doesn't help anyone feel better, but it's rough. I would take as much help as you can to keep your stress level in check, that will help you be a better caretaker for him and DD. More hugs!
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
  • Poor DH! I agree with maybe not bringing DD to the hospital. You can talk about how all that "stuff" on Daddy is going to fix his foot, and you can tell her how brave Daddy is and how nice and helpful his doctors are, etc.

I'm so sorry to hear that this is so scary and complicated. FX for a fast recovery for your DH!!
    imageimage
  • Damn! Sorry that the whole situation is worse than expected. I don't have any advice, but a lot of sympathy for you - I would be hating life if this happened while I was pregnant. Sorry
    :(

image         image

• Geez, that's awful. My best friends neighbor broke her ankle at a movie theatre the DAY BEFORE her due date. She had her baby two days later and was in a wheel chair for three weeks and then crutches for 2 months after--I'm glad it's not you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"