July 2012 Moms

WWJ12D-birthday party gifts

aylafsu88aylafsu88 member
edited July 2014 in July 2012 Moms
LO was invited to a birthday party next week. It is for a neighbor and the mom told me no gifts please. I hate these kinds of situations because I never know if I should bring a gift or not. I hate to be the only one who shows up without a gift but the mom said no gifts. WWJ12D?

WWJ12D-birthday party gifts 57 votes

Not bring a gift. She said no gifts and probably means it.
38% 22 votes
Bring a gift anyway. Every kid needs presents on their birthday.
7% 4 votes
Bring something small that is not really considered a gift, like a sticker book.
49% 28 votes
SS
5% 3 votes

Re: WWJ12D-birthday party gifts

• I would bring a couple books. You can't go wrong with books!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah I'd feel weird going to a kids party and not bringing a gift. What kid has a party with no gifts???
    @mrsplaydoh I know! I feel really weird going without a gift. I guess the mom does not want anymore toys/clutter in her house but the girl is turning 4 so I know she would probably love opening presents.
  • Loading the player...
  • Good plan @roo1582. I can always run home or text H to bring it if others show up with gifts!
  • @bellaxanthe That is what I was thinking. Something small would be a nice gesture without adding to the toys/clutter. The necklace idea is a good activity and a sweet gesture.
  • KarmBKarmB member
    I always bring something

• If someone says no gifts, I'm taking their word for it.  I can imagine wanting to say that when you have kids because it seems like the crap that piles up is neverending!  No gift, no gift.
  • In that situation, I'd bring a card/ stickers, or a book.
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • siuRamsiuRam member
    edited July 2014
    Spamalamadingdong
  • I would not bring a gift if they specifically asked me not to. I've been to a few parties like that, but they've always just asked if we do wish to get a gift to give towards their college fund. Another one asked to bring non-perishable items to donate to a food bank, which I thought was nice.  I still like to bring a birthday card with stickers for the birthday kid, but I like the book idea too. 
  • @bellaxanthe I get it. I know every parent gets to a point where they just do not want anything else taking over more space in the house. The party allows friends and family to get together and spend some time with one another. If it was a good friend I would not question it but since they are more of an acquaintance I am not so sure. I hate to be the one family that shows up with nothing and gets side-eyed.
  • @aylafsu88‌ in your case I would probably do a card (maybe homemade by LO?) with a $10 GC to a bookstore inside. I feel like you can never have enough books and this way the kid can pick out their own (which was always exciting for me as a kid) and you also won't make other guests that don't being a gift feel bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I might bring something little and home-made (as in @Bellaxanthe's post)... a handmade bookmark or hair clip perhaps... or get some candy that I know the kid likes... or some seeds with instructions on how to grow a butterfly bush or some such thing. Although I might really be tempted to just buy a book. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"