February 2014 Moms

CIO

2»

Re: CIO

• Loading the player...
  • Some of you saw this a lil late but in any moment I said I was letting LO CIO for a long time, it was for about 3-5min while me or dh were out of the bedroom and we tried waiting it a little to come in and soothe LO to see how she would act and/or go back to sleep.
    Of course I rock my baby when it's needed and cuddle as much as I can and for those thinking I did it for my own pleasure you are wrong. I still wake up at night and feed her maybe once or twice and she goes right back to sleep without me or DH having to rock her all the time, that was the poit we were trying to get when we started our so short CIO.
    LO never cried for more than 5 min and if she did it was because I was alone at home showering or doing other things and didn't hear it, so it might have been once or twice she cried and not because I was doing CIO.
    LO now after doing the way we did sleep in her crib every night, we feed her and kiss good night, put the pacifier in her mouth and she goes right to sleep nicely and happy.
    Moms do need to recharge, and when I have a good night of sleep even waking up to check/feed on LO I get the energy I need to cuddle, play and be the best mom I can for my LO during the day and when she needs at night.
    As a matter of fact I am up now after wakin up to feed her. Yes my baby comes first in all I do.
  • I'm not advocating CIO.

But...
    It is a slippery slope to start saying things like moms should always put a baby's needs before their own and that we should all be ok with being sleep deprived for the good of our children. There are moms on this board reading those messages and feeling like crap. There's a reason they say to put your oxygen mask on first on the plane, then attend to your kids. I'm not saying let your baby CIO while you sleep, but moms DO need to take care of themselves.

That's my only issue to pick with these CIO arguments. Carry on letting goats milk girl have it (cause 8 weeks old?!?!)

You are right it is a slippery slope however I don't think anyone is saying CIO is a crime and should never be tried. People just are sensitive to age it is tried and how it's used. V As you pointed 8 weeks is pretty ridiculous for trying it no matter how the child is which is what got people riled up. Secondly, CIO in the context of sleep training where you use it specifically for shorter periods ( not 30 mins) is one thing vs using it when you have to run errands, care for a toddler etc.
  • @southerngal07‌ I'm not arguing that moms need to take care of themselves. However, if you chose to be a mom then one must accept that the infancy stage will be demanding and you cannot make your child CIO at 8 weeks or for that matter even 4 months in the name of sound sleep at night. We all make efforts to help LOs sleep cause lord knows we all need it. I use the principles of babywise but perhaps not to the point where my baby has to CIO. Not at least at this age.

Also people here said they would not use CIO but no one said the Ferber method ( if used correctly) should not be used. I won't use it but if you do I'm not going to judge you unless you are doing it at 8 weeks ;-).
  • So, legitimate question.  If IRL someone you know is doing CIO at 8 weeks, would/should you say something?  Because I have come across this a few times and ended up biting my lip and not saying anything.

I rarely say anything. People are not usually open to outside opinions on something like that and it only causes trouble to push in.

photo c951a5b354e3a3c8ca0da37e31c6125f.jpg
  • So, legitimate question.  If IRL someone you know is doing CIO at 8 weeks, would/should you say something?  Because I have come across this a few times and ended up biting my lip and not saying anything.

A family friend did cio at 5 weeks. It was posted on Fb that the baby did so good bc he only cried for 15 min... etc. I was shocked.... literally shocked by the number of people that congratulated and supported it! Not one person questioned it with the exception of myself.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• car seat said:

car seat said:

So, legitimate question.  If IRL someone you know is doing CIO at 8 weeks, would/should you say something?  Because I have come across this a few times and ended up biting my lip and not saying anything.
    If they were a good friend of probably say something like "wow that's really young. Everything I read said to wait until 6 months." If it was a Facebook acquaintance I would keep my mouth shut and defriend.

Really?
    Yep.

Yikes. I would never be friends with someone like goat's milk, but I wouldn't automatically defriend someone over a parenting choice. 

I stop "following" people like this on fb.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• dunvilles said:

So, legitimate question.  If IRL someone you know is doing CIO at 8 weeks, would/should you say something?  Because I have come across this a few times and ended up biting my lip and not saying anything.

A family friend did cio at 5 weeks. It was posted on Fb that the baby did so good bc he only cried for 15 min... etc. I was shocked.... literally shocked by the number of people that congratulated and supported it! Not one person questioned it with the exception of myself.

I'm just surprised people post stuff like that on Facebook.
  • Because I can't stay away...

Here's an interview that Dr. Ferber did regarding his "method" with a parenting mag. 

Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • car seat said:

car seat said:

If they were a good friend of probably say something like "wow that's really young. Everything I read said to wait until 6 months." If it was a Facebook acquaintance I would keep my mouth shut and defriend.

Really?
    Yep.

Yikes. I would never be friends with someone like goat's milk, but I wouldn't automatically defriend someone over a parenting choice. 

If acquaintances let their baby CIO, they may likely make other parenting choices I'd find questionable. If they're an acquaintance, then I'd defriend as well. Yes, over parenting choices. Dreaming said she'd unfriend an acquaintance, not an IRL friend.
  • @greenbunny79‌ I was going to say the same thing about @Sscarolynedvx‌ and @alphaphi98‌ being an AE!

also, I could see letting your cranky toddler cry for a few minutes during a nap they're fighting... but an 8 week old crying for 5 minutes? that's 5 minutes too long. at 8 weeks, they need more than an arm leaning in to pop a pacifier in their mouths and then leave again. I'm tired. I rock LO to sleep. I walked her around my bedroom for over an hour the other night when thunder woke her. I don't need to be told I'm "stronger than you" or whatever you said, PP. I'm doing what I need to do as a MOM, which I knew wasn't going to be easy but I signed up for it so she shouldn't suffer because I am tired/watching tv/cleaning. my floors don't know if they're dirty; my baby knows if she's alone and sad.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • How did I miss this shit?!

PP, letting an 8 week old CIO is the most heartbreaking thing I've had to picture in a while. I absolutely cannot believe that there are people like this out there who think it's okay to neglect a baby in such a way. Yes, neglect. WTAF is wrong with you?! Your excuses suck ass, and they don't hold a drop of water.

Unfuckingbelieveablewtfwtfwtf!!!!!!

Everything I really want to say would get me banned. Please use your imaginations.
  • @Avswolf‌ I know you do. I probably did take it a little too personally cause of some IRL stuff. Sorry to project on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"