February 2014 Moms
Options

CIO

I think the last time we talked about this, some of us felt our babies were too young to cry it out. How about now?

For me, I don't intend to let my 5 month old DS CIO, but sometimes I can't help it. My 22 month old toddler has me tied up with XYZ & DS will cry for a few minutes before I can get to him. When I put him down for naps, I'll let him CIO as he drifts off to sleep. It doesn't last long, maybe a couple minutes since he's tired. It's the same at bedtime. He's learning to self-soothe.

So is anyone letting their LO CIO now or thinking about doing it? And for how long?

Re: CIO

• Options
    dunvillesdunvilles member
    edited July 2014
    We put ds down drowsy but awake. He will talk/fuss for a few min and roll over. Then he falls asleep. If he were to really cry I would pat/soothe him as much as possible without picking him up. Works so far for us!

Also, I wouldn't call it cio when your baby cries and you are busy with your toddler.

Eta- this same method did not work for ds1.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did CIO when LO was about 8 weeks old but never for more than 3-5min and me or DH would come close and put back the pacifier or pat/soothe her a lil and it only took around 30min the whole process for her to be completly asleep. We were trying to get her to sleep on her crib and it worked... 3 days was enough and LO did great.

Its heart breaking to hear the baby cry thats why I could never wait too long to come by and soothe and you know your baby more than anybody, do whats best and what works for baby and you.
  • Options
    Just...wow.
  • Options
    Oh boy... here we go again...
  • Options
    I did CIO when LO was about 8 weeks old but never for more than 3-5min and me or DH would come close and put back the pacifier or pat/soothe her a lil and it only took around 30min the whole process for her to be completly asleep. We were trying to get her to sleep on her crib and it worked... 3 days was enough and LO did great. Its heart breaking to hear the baby cry thats why I could never wait too long to come by and soothe and you know your baby more than anybody, do whats best and what works for baby and you.

Only 30 mins? Of crying? With "soothing" every five minutes? I just want to make sure I've got this straight.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    @shellbell3845 not 30 minutes just crying, everyone will take it diferently of course. LO was put down drowsy and when she would wake up and cry when me or DH was out of the room (cleaning, showering/eating) we would wait a lil to see if she was gonna go back to sleep and if not we came and soothe her.
  • Options
    versedversed member
    edited July 2014
    And to OP, no, we won't CIO. I have a 25m- & 6m-old (only to explain that he's newly 2, I usually just say he's 2), and neither has been or will be left to CIO. Does one sometimes fuss while the other is being helped? Yes, that's life, but it rarely gets to crying, and if it does, I get there as quick as possible to help the baby work through the problem or meet his needs.

However, I am lucky that DS2 is very "patient" for a baby. Additionally, when both DH and I are home, we tag team, so both kids can be helped when it's needed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We did CIO due to the circumstances, LO goes to sleep easily and happily on her own now, no problems.
    I followed the Ferber method which it does say between 4 to 6 months but doesn't designate a precise age at which to begin his technique, since it can vary so much depending on the child.
  • Options
    @shellbell3845 not 30 minutes just crying, everyone will take it diferently of course. LO was put down drowsy and when she would wake up and cry when me or DH was out of the room (cleaning, showering/eating) we would wait a lil to see if she was gonna go back to sleep and if not we came and soothe her.

That is not what it sounds like in your original post. It sounds like you let your LO cry for 3-5 minutes for 30 minutes with minimal intervention. I don't know for sure, but I'm probably not the only one taking it differently.
  • Options
    SscarolynedvxSscarolynedvx member
    edited July 2014
    We did CIO due to the circumstances, LO goes to sleep easily and happily on her own now, no problems.
    I followed the Ferber method which it says you can start between 4 to 6 months but doesn't designate a precise age at which to begin his technique, since it can vary so much depending on the child.
  • Options
    Yes, two months.
    All babies are different, this isnt child abuse each person has different ways of raising children. I know what my baby needs and why it was done at that point.
  • Options
    Two months!! Dang.
    photo c951a5b354e3a3c8ca0da37e31c6125f.jpg
  • Options
    Sadly people definitely do that.
    photo c951a5b354e3a3c8ca0da37e31c6125f.jpg
  • Options
    It's okay to let a baby cry for a specified period of time (often a very short period of time) before offering comfort. Like a said 3-5 minutes NOT 25-30 min.
    I would either have to rock her to sleep all night long or not get any rest at all.
    Falling asleep on your own is a skill like any other and that your baby can master this skill if you give him the opportunity. No more discussion.
  • Options

I would either have to rock her to sleep all night long or not get any rest at all.

And It was not like I could sit down and just pat her, I had to be walking around and rocking LO all night long or no sleep at all. Try having to do that day and night!
  • Options
    It's okay to let a baby cry for a specified period of time (often a very short period of time) before offering comfort. Like a said 3-5 minutes NOT 25-30 min.
    Falling asleep on your own is a skill like any other and that your baby can master this skill if you give him the opportunity. No more discussion.

But...8 weeks? I just don't think falling asleep alone is a skill an 8wk baby can master. Like crawling isn't a skill my 5mo old can master.
  • Options

And It was not like I could sit down and just pat her, I had to be walking around and rocking LO all night long or no sleep at all. Try having to do that day and night!
    ... I did.

+1
  • Options
    SscarolynedvxSscarolynedvx member
    edited July 2014
    @MamaHollywood27 at least for me no more discussion ;)
    I shared my experience and how it worked for me and my baby and LO can sleep very well in her crib ever since and LO is a very happy baby after CIO for a period of 5 min, the most. Thanks for the inputs but there isn't a designate precise age, it's all about what you are comfortable with and how well you know your baby.
    :-h
  • Options
    After rocking LO while walking around the house all night LO would co-sleeping because breastfeeding, then bed is a queen size not enough space for all 3 of us plus I think its very unsafe in certain ways. I spoke to the pedi and she said if I would know when LO was ready and what would work for us and it certainly did work, I could not choose a different time the 2 month mark was perfect for baby, me and hubby.
    Sorry ladies who disagreed, and for the ones that were able to stay up all night/day while rocking you are awesome.
    The same way some people say its wrong there will be others saying its right, it all depends, in the end I am the one that knows my LOs needs.
  • Options
    emar129emar129 member
    edited July 2014
    I think you are the ONLY one saying it's right.
    yep. 

not cool, OP, not cool. 

EDIT: no, alphaphi, you're fine (odd to say). goat's milk girl...not okay. Your baby could have needed one of their basic needs met and you just let them cry so you can sleep? no.
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    BB0214BB0214 member
    I advocate PARTS of Babywise. Where it ended for me was letting my baby cry during the night to try to get her to re-settle and sleep. Fussing and re-settling is totally different from crying and eventually falling asleep due to exhaustion. Also, there are a lot of babies who need to eat sooner than every two and a half to three hours. It doesn't work for everyone. It also doesn't account for babies who don't nap well or for the length of time they prescribe. There are a lot of holes in the theory behind it.
    As we all saw from MH's idea yesterday to let our LO cry, it's not good. I'll come out and say that it's down right cruel. I get going crazy from sleep deprivation. It's tough. There's a reason for why it's used as a means of torture. But there are so many other things you can do other than resorting to CIO. Sleep deprivation now is a small price to pay for setting the stage for your child being secure in knowing that he/she can count on you no matter what.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"