May 2014 Moms
Options

Premedicate or not?

mrsbtobe20122mrsbtobe20122 member
edited July 2014 in May 2014 Moms
Did you mamas give Tylenol before shots? Or wait to see if LO is uncomfortable and/ or gets a fever?

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
TTC Baby B since 10/2012
BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

Re: Premedicate or not?

• Options
    We waited until after when she got a fever
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We waited too, didn't actually get cranky until the next morning, no fever though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No. I only medicate for shots if they show a need, which has been pretty infrequent with my kids so far.

FYI (to all), a low grade fever is a common reaction to shots (and anything they might be fighting off) and not an indication Tylenol is needed. In fact, giving it for a low fever is kinda counterproductive.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options

No. I only medicate for shots if they show a need, which has been pretty infrequent with my kids so far.

FYI (to all), a low grade fever is a common reaction to shots (and anything they might be fighting off) and not an indication Tylenol is needed. In fact, giving it for a low fever is kinda counterproductive.

This. A fever means their body is building immunity. A low grade one I don't medicate for unless it lasts a long time or increases.
  • Options
    No, I only give it if they get a fever. DD1 always got a high fever after shots, above 103F. DD2 had no reaction to her 2month shots.
  • Options
    We didn't. LO just slept all day, never fussy, never a fever. I liked knowing that was how he handled it and not that the Tylenol had anything to do with his reaction.
  • Options

We didn't. LO just slept all day, never fussy, never a fever. I liked knowing that was how he handled it and not that the Tylenol had anything to do with his reaction.

Good point

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012

• Options
    Our pedi said no Tylenol until 4 months unless fever. My LO didn't get one.

• Options
    Our LO was good for about 5 hours after the shots but then got really fussy and was getting pretty warm, gave her one dose of tylenol and after it kicked in she relaxed and slept. I had to wake her up to feed/change her cause she went to bed 2 hours earlier than normal. But she went right to sleep and only needed 1 more dose 6 hours after the first. Then she was fine.
    BabyName Tickerimage
  • Options
    I don't premedicate but I do give it if he's fussy or can't sleep the days following his shots.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    I did not. LO cried when we first got home a pretty sad cry. But then she slept all day long. I only woke her to feed her. I'd say just wait to see how your LO does then if you think it's needed after talk to your pedi
  • Options
    No. I was only planning on it if she got a fever. Apparently it's pretty common for people to give their los Tylenol though. My mom did it to us!

It's a BOY

• Options
    No, we didn't need the Tylenol. I think the experience is more traumatic for us then them. LO just needed to feed after to calm down and slept a little more.
  • Options
    I did end up giving it to him when he was super uncomfortable and 101.2 temp. It made a world of difference.

After talking with my MIL at dinner all but two of my nieces/ nephews have had febrile seizures on DHs side. I wasn't going to wait for it to be higher.

I'm definitely glad I waited though.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012

• Options
    We gave Tylenol after, but pedi said not to give before.
  • Options

I did end up giving it to him when he was super uncomfortable and 101.2 temp. It made a world of difference.

After talking with my MIL at dinner all but two of my nieces/ nephews have had febrile seizures on DHs side. I wasn't going to wait for it to be higher.

Febrile seizures don't care what the number on the thermometer is. If the kid is going to have one they will.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options

Febrile seizures don't care what the number on the thermometer is. If the kid is going to have one they will.
    I understand this.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012

• Options
    Our Pedi also said Tylenol can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines. We were instructed to only give meds if he got a fever over 101 and to come in if it was over 102. He did get to 101.1 so he got one dose the night of his shots.
  • Options
    sws684sws684 member
    No.. Like PPs have said.. Can reduce efficacy..
  • Options
    MK1013 said:

No, we were told not to as it can decrease the effectiveness of vaccinations. Not sure how true that is, but that's what we were told by our pedi. She said only to give it AFTER shots if baby seemed uncomfortable, if she has a slight fever/redness but didn't seem in pain to just let it go without the Tylenol if I was comfortable doing so.

We are at about 20 hours post vaccinations and she's a little fussy, but haven't given Tylenol yet.

Our pedi says the same thing.

I've only given Tylenol once after shots, and that was when DS's leg hurt after the 15 mo ones.

Both of my kids did well after the 2 mo ones. DS just took a long nap afterward and was otherwise normal. DD was fussier than usual the rest of the day but then slept 8 hours straight that night. It was the longest stretch of uninterrupted sleep I've had since she was born.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"