July 2014 Moms
Options

The Great Breastfeeding Thread

Re: The Great Breastfeeding Thread

• Options
    Does anyone else experience really bad pain in their chest after laying on your side?
    image.
  • Options

Does anyone else experience really bad pain in their chest after laying on your side?

Yes. Idk if it's from the boobs compressing each other or what. But my sternum starts to hurt and I inevitably have to turn on my back.

During pregnancy all I wanted was to sleep on my back and now all I want is to sleep on my side :-?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Good to know it's not just me. It is my sternum and the upper boob that hurts. I'll try and such it up to see if that helps
    image.
  • Options

Those of you who have gone to restaurants with LO--if they start to cry that they're hungry, do you just NIP at the table? DH and I are taking a trip with DD next week and we're going to have to eat out a lot so I'm trying to figure out the logistics.

Yep! I usually try to get a booth that's in a corner/out of the way and use one of her lightweight blankets to cover or have my hubby sit next to me.
  • Options
    I NIP at the table at my daughter's birthday party today at Chuck E. cheese's. There just wasn't any good place, and I didn't want to go out to the car. No one seemed to mind at all and in fact two parents asked if I needed anything. DS is starting to fidget under the cover, though, so we will see how long it remains this easy.
  • Options
    I haven't pumped in a while. I just have been lazy about it. I've noticed my breast have been softer and really never engorged. I just assumed this was because my lo has been only nursing and that my supply was evening out. Well tonight he fell asleep without nursing so I decided to pump. It's been 40 minutes and I've only pumped 3 oz. I used to get like 9 oz in 10 or 15 minutes. I'm panicking! Could my Milk be drying up? I recently had the merina put in could it be a side affect? I'm freaking out!
    image.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a manual breast pump that they love and recommend!?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Nichole8787‌ that is normal and not a sign of drying up. 9 or 10 oz is a major oversupply and can cause problems of its own for DS. So the 3 oz is PERFECT! It's just your body adjusting to his needs.
  • Options
    It turns out it was the merina. Within 48 hours I was unable to get an oz and poor Baylor was so hungry! I got it taken out.
    image.
  • Options
    @kdelgado03‌ I got the evenflow to use when in the go. It was inexpensive and works really well.
    image.
  • Options
    @Nichole8787‌ thanks for the recommendation!
  • Options
    We had a very scary day yesterday. Found blood in baby girl's diaper. Long story short, something in my diet is giving her explosive diarrhea that tore her bum coming out. I feel so terrible for LO but now I'm also anxious about my freezer stash. I only stash enough for one day at work at a time so I do not have a lot of back up. But I think I need to throw out everything I have for her tummy. But… maybe I need to keep using what I have until we figure out what bothers her. Thoughts? Would you supplement with formula one day a week or just give baby breast milk that you know will bother her?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone have a manual breast pump that they love and recommend!?
    I have the Medela harmony attachment (also have the Mini which is single electric and the PISA double electric) and find it easy to use, clean and store. It fits all the Medela kit I already had and it has a 2-ways handle for the stimulation feature the PISA has on one end, longer pumps on the other. I like that feature so that scores the harmony more points for me personally.
  • Options
    @EmilyL713 I'm not sure how large they go, but I have a very supportive one from Soma.  It does not have underwire but fits like it does.  They do have underwire ones as well.  I felt it was worth the money I spent on it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @babybell22‌ you can still do nfp even without your period because you could ovulate without a period. If you're worried one of those cheap dollar store tests would be sufficient too.

I've not done nfp, but my friend has and she has been explaining it to me. I think I'm going to give it a go because I can't take hormonal bc and we hate the other alternative.
  • Options
    @babybell22‌ LO is 11 weeks and I haven't see Aunt Flo yet either. My dr says it's not uncommon when BFing to not have a period but to still ovulate as PP said. I'd take a test every so often if I were you! I have a friend who didn't have a period for 10 months while BFing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My right side always produces significantly more via pump than my left, but neither of them are ever really uncomfortable and LO always seems satisfied (he normally only eats one side at a time) I am pretty lucky I rarely am ever engorged or leaky. So I dont really worry about trying to even it out.
  • Options
    @babybell22‌ : I never get my period back until after I wean (and both of my sons nursed until 16 months) so, yeah, if you're not using any kind of birth control, taking a hpt every month is probably a good idea.
  • Options
    @Lizzy42‌ Is it time for a nipple with a faster flow?
  • Options
    I'm having a hard time finding this information, does anyone know?

When you thaw frozen breast milk and warm it to room temperature, how long is it good for?

Thanks for your help!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    At room temp it is 4-6 hours. If it is warmed warmer than that it is less time.
  • Options
    How many ounces do you give LO at each feeding, when you use bottles? This past weekend my mom watched him and I left her a 6oz bottle of bm for his bedtime feeding. She told me he finished it all and he seemed like he was still hungry. He's 14 weeks tomorrow.
  • Options

How many ounces do you give LO at each feeding, when you use bottles? This past weekend my mom watched him and I left her a 6oz bottle of bm for his bedtime feeding. She told me he finished it all and he seemed like he was still hungry. He's 14 weeks tomorrow.

So far 4 oz at a feeding, dd is 15 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @kam3100‌ thank you. I stay home with DS so he doesn't get bottles too often. It was the first time my mom watched DS and I think she just tends to worry
  • Options
    LO will be 15 weeks on Tuesday. She can eat anywhere from 4.5 oz to a full 5oz medela bottle which I guess is really 6oz. She's prob about 13lbs now (was 12lbs and 26in at 12 weeks). I was thinking of switching her over to the 8oz bottles. I was going to ask the doctor on the 1st.
  • Options
    Just got my first PP period this week. LO has been fussing at the right boob for the last couple days. Has anyone experienced a dip in supply or anything with their period? DS1 was older and on solids when I got my first PP period with him so I don't remember if I had this issue with him.

He's also had some tummy issues this week which could also be a culprit I guess.
  • Options
    Another question, and I apologize if it was discussed earlier in this thread already. Has anyone's LO gone on a nursing strike? LO has been refusing to nurse almost all day. I did get him to nurse lying down around noon but since then he hasn't wanted the boobs, only a bottle. I always offer breast first, change positions, etc, but then I give him and give him the bottle. I pump but I know I'm not pumping as much as he would eat in a feeding so if he continues to refuse to nurse I won't be able to keep up with him. This sucks. :(  I really hope it's just very temporary but I'm already scared/stressed. I have some sample cans of formula on hand if need be but I'm hoping we can get back on track soon.

Any tips?

Dr. Google tells me it could also be teething-related or an ear infection. DS1 has never had an ear infection so I'm not even sure what to look for in a baby this young for symptoms. He doesn't have a fever and he seems relatively content other than fussing at the boobs. His sleep at night was fine though his naps were kind of crap today. We'll see how tonight goes.
  • Options
    He nursed early this AM and around 10 this morning but has been refusing it since then. His naps are crap today, too, and we're both spending a large part of the day crying. This is 10x more stressful with DH being away because all I want is a hug and I can't even have that right now.
  • Options
    My 15-week old EBF baby has been nursing a lot less lately too. She goes a lot longer between feedings, and the feedings themselves are pretty quick. I am trying not to stress too much about it because she's still making the usual amount of dirty diapers, is napping as well as she usually does, and generally seems content. Plus she has a nice double chin and awesome chubby baby thighs. :) I'm still on maternity leave, so we only give her a bottle once a week or so, so I don't think it's an issue of her preferring bottle over boob. Maybe they are just getting more efficient with the nursing?

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @LeaLupins‌ when I got my first period pp, DS had about a week long period where he would nurse ok in the morning, and then the afternoons and night time were a complete struggle. I talked to my LC about it, and she told me that sometimes your first pp period can throw off your milk supply, especially in the afternoon, when it tends to be lower anyways. After my period ended, things went back to normal, and I haven't had any issues since. Hope your LO goes back to nursing regularly soon!
  • Options
    @nolemomma14 Thank you for that. I'm really hoping that's what it is and he'll get better. I think I'm still going to call the pedi in the morning just to talk to a nurse and see what they think. DS1 never did this so it's new.

@mamalacy21, I'm sorry you're going through it, too. :(  We've never had any issues BFing so this is just really hard. I've read a lot about nursing strikes so I'm really hoping it's just temporary. I don't have a problem with formula but I would just really be sad if he gave up nursing completely. I don't think they typically wean this early but I can see how it can be frustrating and easier to just give up.
  • Options
    How long are your LO's going between feedings?  DS just turned 3months and is going every 3 hrs during the day sometimes 3.5, but he has been stretching it a little longer at night more like 5 or 6 hours.  He nurses when I'm home, but gets 2 bottles during the day (6oz)
  • Options
    BP607 said:

How long are your LO's going between feedings?  DS just turned 3months and is going every 3 hrs during the day sometimes 3.5, but he has been stretching it a little longer at night more like 5 or 6 hours.  He nurses when I'm home, but gets 2 bottles during the day (6oz)

My LO is 3.5 months and pretty much eats the exact same way. 3 hours during the day and usually 6 hrs for his first stretch of the night.
  • Options
    DD nurses pretty frequently during the day (making it 3 hours is noteworthy) because she goes 10-11 hours at night. She's almost 17 weeks old.
  • Options

DS has one MOTN feeding usually and eats every 2-3 hours during the day. That has been going on for several weeks now. The past couple of days he has been either teething or in a growth spurt because its been closer to 2 hours and twice at night. He is 14 weeks old.

This. DS nurses every 2-3 during the day and was doing a 5 or 6 hour stretch but now it's 2-4...tired momma in the house
  • Options
    BP607 said:

My dd has the same timeframes.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

My LO is 3 months old and eats 5-6 times a day depending on when he wakes up/naps etc. Wakes up any time between 6:30am and 8:00am, eats every 3 hours, eats at 7:30pm before bed, then a dreamfeed at 11pm.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
    Anniversary

TTC #1 since 08/2013
    BFP! 11/7/2013
    EDD 7/21/2014
    Baby! 7/20/2014 
    9:14pm - 9lb 14 oz - 20 inches

• Options
    Cluster feeding here. I would LOVE a three hour stretch! At least she eats fairly fast. She has also gone from feeding twice a night to four times a night two days ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"