August 2012 Moms
Options

Swim vest vs floaties

What do you ladies use for LO in the pool? We are going on vacation next month and while I've carried him into a lake and put him inside a float, DS hasn't been swimming yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: Swim vest vs floaties

• Options
    We use the puddle jumper, though not all the time. I use it when we're in the adult pool at the Y, but not when we're in the kiddie pool.
  • Options
    Toni79Toni79 member

We've been taking DD to the YMCA for swim lessions.  In the under 2 class they don't use anything.  But in the 2-3 year class they use an adjustable float belt, similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Gear-Instructional-Swim-Belt/dp/B0000AR486/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405455184&sr=8-1&keywords=children%27s+swim+belt

Because DD was getting difficult in the pool - i.e. she didn;t want me to hold her tight - we started using the swim belt before she turned 2, and it's helped alot.  BUT FYI - It doesn't keep them afloat on its own, she still has to kick and paddle to stay floating.  And we still keep a hand on her, she just doesn't relaise it as much since we're not holding her as tight.  She might "swim" the few inches to the wall herself but that's about it.

I did talk to our instructor and she said to AVOID the floaties that only go on thier arms (you know the kind we all used when we were little).  She said that it puts them in an "un-natural position".  And that thier arms may float, but thier bodies and heads can still go under.  She recomended either the belts that we use in calss or a swim vest.  She did say that the vests are more boyant.  She doesn't put anything on her kid in the pool, but she told me when she goes to the beach she puts the vest on her 3 year old.  She's got 4 kids, so that just gives her more peice of mind.

Hope this helps.

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH used to lifeguard and he doesn't want DD use any type of floatation device, since he thinks it gives kids a false, and potentially dangerous, sense of security. We have rafts for playing in our backyard pool, but no floatation devices to keep her above water.  We would just use a life vest if we were out on a boat or something.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    Puddle jumpers all the way! Seriously best investment for my older daughter. They are also coast guard approved. A lot of indoor pools and waterparks won't let you use any flotation devices that are not coast guard approved.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    When we go to the local pool we are not allowed to use life jackets or puddle jumpers in the big pool. So DD swims with us supporting her under her chest and bum, belly down, so she can use her arms and legs like we would if we were swimming. 
    In the baby pool she just walks around on her own and bends over to "swim"
    When we go on our boat we have both life jackets and a puddle jumper like pp said they are coast guard approved. DD hasn't ever floated by herself we always hold on to her. She also sits on a raft when at the river.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Our pool has Puddle Jumpers for the kids to use, and DD adore them! She asks to put one on as soon as we get there - I think she likes the freedom to feel like she is doing things in the pool by herself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"