June 2014 Moms

Swaddle or no swaddle?

JmeJoLee83JmeJoLee83 member
edited July 2014 in June 2014 Moms
We are re-introducing the swaddle to our LO to help with colic. He usually fusses and wants his hands free but only calms down with a total swaddle. How does your baby take to swaddling?
First time mommy-to-be
E.D.D. June 1, 2014

Swaddle or no swaddle? 268 votes

Swaddle every night/day
51% 138 votes
Swaddle on occasion
23% 62 votes
Don't swaddle
23% 62 votes
SS
2% 6 votes

Re: Swaddle or no swaddle?

• C occasionally swaddles. I usually swaddle him with his arms out. When he will let me swaddle him with his arms in he busts out.
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • My DF recently found the "Aussie swaddle" where he can have arms up but still within the swaddle. Our guy seems to like it better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My boys hate being swaddled. They like free arms. Sucks though cuz they sometimes wake themselves up.
  • Murphy loves a good swaddle. DH does an awesome tight swaddle with our blankets but I have to use the halo sleep sack. He prefers DH's swaddle.
  • sjn00sjn00 member
    I use Swaddle Me's and wrap it around her chest with her arms out. She sleeps so much better like that. Its a no go with her arms in though lol
  • At first DD hated being swaddled and kept trying to get her arms out, but she calmed down after a few min and now it relaxes her almost immediately. It's the only way to get her to sleep long enough otherwise she wakes herself up with her flailing arms. We do use the swaddleme's though because a blanket swaddle is never tight enough and she always gets her arms out.
  • We swaddle E every night for bed as well. He prefers his arms up, but I try to keep the arms mostly tucked in bc it does help to keep him asleep longer. He fights it every night though.
  • We usually swaddle for bedtime and leave 'em free for nap time.

• kd&cdkd&cd member
    We swaddle when we put DD to bed. We let her fall asleep without it because she doesn't like the swaddle process. She sleeps a lot longer swaddled than not.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Oct 16/13. BFP @ 11 dpo

Oct 21/13. Beta 360 @ 16 dpo

Oct 23/13. Beta 749 @ 18 dpo

Nov 24/13. Saw HB (141bpm) & baby wiggle around via ultrasound @ 9w5d due date changed to June 23!!

Dec 6/13. Heard HB (122bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 11w3d

Jan 9/14. Heard HB (124bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 16w3d irregular beat

Jan 29/14. DH felt kicks for first time @ 19w3d

Feb 2/14. Saw baby via ultrasound (quick scan in ER) @ 19w6d

Feb 6/14. Heard HB (126-134bpm) via Doppler @ 20w3d normal beat

Feb 15/14. AS - baby looked great (measured 1w small) and would NOT let us see sex! @ 21w5d 

Feb 20/14  3D US - its a GIRL!!!!! @ 22w3d

Feb 27/14. Repeat AS for more pics, HB 124bpm  @ 23w3d

Mar 6/14. Heard HB (130bpm) via Doppler @ 24w3d

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

• DD loves to be swaddled. We swaddle with her arms up because she likes her hands near her face. Swaddling usually calms her instantly. During the day, won't swaddle if she is sleeping in her tummy.

BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • cas889cas889 member
    @Babywear‌ - what kind of swaddle is that?
    image image

• lest12lest12 member
    Swaddle for bed, arms out.

image        image

• We swaddle DD arms out for bed. She breaks free every night within a few minutes so we don't fight it too much.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Swaddle for bed time, usually with arms out but it depends on her mood. We don't swaddle for nap time though.

Baby #1: expected June 2014

Pregnancy Ticker 

• I always swaddle for bed, but DD always breaks out of it so she can sleep with her arms up. Maybe I should give in and start swaddling her that way.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• DS likes to wave his arms around, so I usually swaddle but keep his arms out. Last night the screaming was so bad, I put his arms in the swaddle to try and comfort him.

<3

• We swaddle her during the day with a&a blankets but I don't think I get them tight enough so she just breaks out. I have some swaddle sacks I need to try on her. At night we do a loose, arms out swaddle as well. I don't think it makes much of a difference in how well or how long she sleeps but I also don't think we're swaddling her tightly enough either.

• This has been such an issue for us!  Drew hates being swaddled: grunts, fights, cries... absolutely hates it.  But if I put him down unswaddled, his flailing arms wake him right up.  So it seems to be a lose-lose situation.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• We swaddle at night or if she appears cold during the day. But arms must be free so it's a chest down swaddle otherwise she gets mad.

• No swaddling for W. It's a good way to make her really mad really fast.
  • DS lives in a swaddle. He has super strong arms and legs and will smack/kick himself constantly without one. Halo sleep sack with the Velcro at night and the summer infant swaddle blankets during the day for naps. When he's particularly fussy I'll wrap him in the swaddle blanket and put him in the k'tan. That usually calms him down.

• No swaddle during the day and at night he gets a swaddle only up to his armpits. He screams and punches until he gets his arms out so we gave up on making sure those are tucked in. Every other day DH tries to do a full swaddle and LO just gets out and DH ends up super frustrated. LO startles himself but it doesn't seem to really bother him unless he knocks the paci out of his mouth.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • swaddle at night with arms out

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Swaddle with the miracle blanket at night. Otherwise she startles herself and doesn't sleep soundly.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • DS always breaks out of his swaddle with his squirmy arms and made me worried the blanket would suffocate him. I gave up but I might try swaddling with his arms out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Swaddle at night only. She typically starts fighting it at some point though. So far arms out hasn't worked, nor did the $40 Aussie swaddle (although we are still hopeful..).
  • We swaddle at night.  During the day it depends on how warm it is, if we're inside or outside, etc.  Often she's not swaddled.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• I've been swaddling K at night only with an Aden & Anais Easy Swaddle. The thing is gold for us! I swaddle arms in for first leg of sleep which has been between 4 1/2 hours - 6 hours since we began using it last week. After the 3 am feeding I leave her arms free (a great option with this swaddle as well as being lightweight for the summer) K was houdini-ing out of the blanket swaddles every time. Had a woombie we loved too but she outgrew it pretty quickly.
    MET: 12/31/06 ENGAGED: 5/23/11 MARRIED: 11/11/11 DD DOB: 6/6/14
    image image image
  • I started swaddling again. Omg. B slept 8 hrs last night. No peeps. Slept long for her nap too. Arms in. Even though she likes her fingers. It works best for us.
  • Should I feel guilty when LO fusses and cries while being put in swaddle?
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• He sleeps better swaddled.  This one nurse did swaddles that were magic.  He'd sleep for good chunks of time in hospital.  
  • At what age is too old to fully swaddle? My boy is 8 weeks
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• @jmejolee83 LO is 8 weeks and we still swaddle with halo sleep sacks (actually just bought larger sizes today).

We swaddle with arms in still for now at night only, part of his bedtime routine.
  • MrsBHMMrsBHM member

At what age is too old to fully swaddle? My boy is 8 weeks

I plan to swaddle until my LO is able to roll over, and I pray that's for a long time!!!
  • My LO can't roll over yet, but he can roll to his side, do I need to start swaddling arms out?
  • Initially we swaddled everyday. DD has always been able to break out of any swaddle, though. After about five weeks swaddling didn't seem to calm her any more, plus she would just get out of it, so we stopped.
    image    image

• We're still swaddling, but it is getting hard to keep him in the swaddle even with the velcro swaddle blankets.  We've been struggling at night on if we should just give it up.  DS #1 was swaddled til 3-4 months!  He loved his swaddle.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"