May 2014 Moms
Options

Birth control while breast feeding

My doctor has prescribed the mini-pill Heather Tablet. It's progesterone only. He says best when bf. but warning on packet says it may stay in breast milk and cause baby discomfort. What are you all doing?

Re: Birth control while breast feeding

• Options
    Mirena. I don't trust myself on the mini pill!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't fill my prescription yet, but it sounds like I was prescribed the same one. I don't like the idea of it causing discomfort.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on the mini pill and haven't noticed any difference in baby's disposition.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what discomfort it just says it on the label packet from pharmacy.

Sam0905 said:

I'm on the mini pill and haven't noticed any difference in baby's disposition.

Ditto. I'm wondering what kind of "discomfort" it supposedly can cause? I was under the impression that it shouldn't have any impact on the LO.
  • Options
    lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    I went back on the regular pill. I'm comfortable with it. OB said its fine but it may reduce supply which I've noticed. I didn't trust the mini pill.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am on the mini pill and haven't noticed a change in DS. Although I did just find out today that you may not get periods on it while breastfeeding... So I guess I get to live in a world of suspense hoping that I am not pregnant again.
  • Options
    Mirena. I hated Paragard but never want to be on the full pill or use condoms again and don't trust the mini pill.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I'm getting my IUD next week. I'm EBF and also don't want anymore hormonal BC.
    @jenb_99‌ why did you hate Paragard?
    Married 5/5/12 ~ Miscarried @ 6wks 7/1/13 ~ Has Pacemaker ~ Due May 7th
  • Options
    I filled my prescription for the mini pill Errin but I didn't start taking it. I'm afraid it will impact my supply even though its not supposed to. Since I'll be going back to work full time and pumping, I'm already concerned that will hurt my supply. So, condoms it is.
  • Options
    @LeeLee86‌ It just wasn't compatible with my body, apparently. I had extremely long heavy periods and major cramping all cycle long. It sucked. But I've known several women who had Paragard and loved it, so it seems to be a very personal thing that varies from body to body.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I started the mini pill... And stopped. I noticed a dip in my supply and was bleeding pretty heavily. Mirena and I get along just fine, I just wanted to try something less invasive and easily stopped if we decide to try again.

I got a new mirena yesterday.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options
    I got the implanon implant in my arm last week. Still a little tender to the touch, but so far seems fine.
  • Options
    Well I would have done iud if I knew my husband was completely ignorant when it came to the mini pill. Never thought I would be buying pregnancy tests this soon

It's a BOY

• Options
    I got the depo shot. So far I haven't had any problems.
  • Options
    JKBMA2014 said:

Well I would have done iud if I knew my husband was completely ignorant when it came to the mini pill. Never thought I would be buying pregnancy tests this soon

What does your H have to do with it? Just curious.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options

I didn't want to go back on hormonal bc, and I am not comfortable with an iud, so it's pull and pray. I'm hoping breastfeeding is kinda like added protection. I know not the smartest way to go a about preventing.

This is us too.

Anniversary 

• Options

JKBMA2014 said:

What does your H have to do with it? Just curious.
    We've always been pull and pray while on the pill. Well dh didn't pull after only being on the pill for 3 days. I guess he thinks they are effective immediately? And then I was late on my pill a few nights ago and he did it again after I told him how important it is for him to pull out. This was my fault, should have either held off for the night or used extra protection. But he still should have listened. Also, he doesn't tell me when he is about to finish (sorry if that is tmi) or I would donkey punch him off me... I bought condoms today because It's obvious he thinks I'm safe and I don't want to an accident

It's a BOY

• Options
    I'm also breastfeeding so I hope that is saving me for now. Also when I went to take the pill today and pushed it through its little hole it freaking broke! So I had two pieces and some crums

It's a BOY

• Options
    HallilHallil member
    I am EBF'ing right now, plus condoms. I'll start charting again in a while, my period didn't come back for a long time with DD1 so charting was not reliable.
  • Options
    I also got mini pill Errin but haven't taken it. Just kept being nervous for various reasons. Dh voted for not taking it for now. So for now (at least until I get a period - then we'll reevaluate ) we're just rolling the dice on EBF being enough plus I didn't get pregnant so quickly/easily before and we're DTD way less frequently now. I hate condoms and withdrawal (probably even more than most men do) and we do want another child and with our ages soonish would be good. So while I hope it doesn't happen in less than a yearish (or two) it's not a total disaster if something happens before then. I think. Though it's still a bit strange after 20 years (before TTC our LO) when I really never even once had sex without birth control.

You all have permission to laugh at me if I'm posting freak-outs about getting KU'd too soon later.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options

I also got mini pill Errin but haven't taken it. Just kept being nervous for various reasons. Dh voted for not taking it for now. So for now (at least until I get a period - then we'll reevaluate ) we're just rolling the dice on EBF being enough plus I didn't get pregnant so quickly/easily before and we're DTD way less frequently now. I hate condoms and withdrawal (probably even more than most men do) and we do want another child and with our ages soonish would be good. So while I hope it doesn't happen in less than a yearish (or two) it's not a total disaster if something happens before then. I think. Though it's still a bit strange after 20 years (before TTC our LO) when I really never even once had sex without birth control.

You all have permission to laugh at me if I'm posting freak-outs about getting KU'd too soon later.

Just as a warning I have a friend who required IVF for her first. She had her mirena removed and was going to wait a few months and try a round of IVF with some of her frosties from her first round and unexpectedly got KU right away. Granted she was no longer EBF but she was not expecting it with all if the troubles she had before!

Anniversary 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"