Baby Showers
Options

nervous about baby shower date plus some general questions

my parents are throwing my baby shower for me. I am very grateful that they are doing this for me and I am very excited for the whole thing. I have just as many guy friends as girl friends, im not much of a "girly girl",  and I didn't want to exclude my husband or his friends (many of which are my friends too) from the shower, so we have decided to do it BBQ/buffet style and invite everyone and whole families instead of just the girls (my parents also love to host large parties so they are really looking forward to planning this out). my parents live on a 10 acre ranch and we know we are going to be having a girl so the whole thing is going to be "cowgirl" or "future cowgirl" themed. what are your thoughts on this? any suggestions for decorations or activities etc? 

my main worry though is with the date of the shower. my mother is going in for another hip replacement surgery in mid-late August (she had one of those recalled hips put in several years ago so she is in pain and needs it redone). To allow time for her to get out of the hospital and start the healing process, the date of the baby shower is set for September 20 (due to schedule issues for me there is no way to have it before her surgery). my due date is October 8. that puts me at about 37 1/2 weeks along for the shower. this is my 1st pregnancy and I have had a few people tell me that 1st pregnancies are fairly likely to go all the way to the due date or even a little afterwards so not to worry. I also know that anything can happen between now and then.

is this too late to be having the shower or am I worrying for no real reason? if not, words of comfort would be great because the hormones have me easily paranoid right now lol. if it is real late to be having the shower do you have any suggestions for what I should do to be prepared incase the baby comes early? 

we are hoping to get some of the big ticket items before the shower like the crib and car seat just in case.

Im just real nervous about not knowing what I will have vs what I will need for the baby with less than 3 weeks until my due date. the nesting part of me is already kicking in and I want to be as prepared as possible.

has anyone else has a baby shower this late in their pregnancy? if so, how did it go for you?

thanks

Re: nervous about baby shower date plus some general questions

• Options
    It's a bit on the late side, but not too bad.  Don't worry about buying the remainder of the NEEDED baby items.  That can pretty much be done in one day.

However, they are the hosts and if this is the date that works best for them, then it is what works for them and you have to work with their schedule.  

Anyways, it will be fine.  Some people don't even have showers until after the baby is born and there is also nothing stopping you from buying some baby items if you truly want to do some nesting.
  • Options
    The timing sounds fine. If that is what works for you and the host, then you really have only two options: accept the offer or politely decline.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you're looking for words of encouragement then I'll tell you that that is when I had my shower and beleive me, it is super nice to have something to do during those last few weeks that seem to just crawl by

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    Thanks! That is basically what I wanted to hear... That It is on the late side but still has a good chance of working out fine.
    I know the date is what it is. I will just feel bad if they put in all that effort and I can't show up or the baby already did. Plus I really don't want to miss the party :)
    It sounds like as long as I make sure I have the essentials ahead if time just in case, that I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

On another note. Does anyone have ideas for cutesy cowgirl or ranch themed activities or decorations for the shower? My mom is already having a lot of fun trying to come up with ideas and is asking me and everyone else she knows for any ideas we can come up with too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"