2nd Trimester

Swimming

I mentioned to my mom that I was going to swim laps at a public pool to get more exercise.  But she suggested that I research whether it was safe due to the chemicals used in pools as well as germs, bacteria, etc.  I'm not really worried about it because I'll be swimming in the water, not drinking it.  Are there any reasons I should be concerned about public pools?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Swimming

• No, there is no reason not to swim in a public pool!  The chemicals are used to kill germs and bacteria.  Just don't drink it!!  ;)
  • yep, no worries! i was at the beginning of swimming lessons w/ my son when i found out and my DR. was fine w/ it.  there is no way i could stay out of the pool all summer! 
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • My OB's recommended the pool both pregnancies. Helps with swelling, exercise and was relaxing. I live in the pool all summer.
  • Swimming is great exercise for pregnant women, and the chlorine isn't harmful to the fetus.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • The only things that the prenatal water aerobics instructor suggested about pools was to make sure that the water is not too warm.  I forget what the suggested temperature was, but it would have to be a heated pool for the water temperature to be questionable.  She also suggested not doing anything to cause water to rush upwards (jumping into water, jumping up and down in water, water jacks) to avoid risk of infection.  Other than that she suggested that it is a really great way to get some relief from aches and pains of pregnancy.  Some things she suggested:

If you back hurts walk in water backwards, it realigns the spine.

If your hips hurt, ride the pool noodle around in the pool like a horse.  Sounds funny but it is supposed to work. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Swimming is a great form of exercise when you're pregnant. I like it because I don't feel so heavy under the water. Public pools are fine. Just don't drink the water ;-)
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • My MW highly recommended swimming when I told her my joints hurt after trying to continue running while pregnant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemarriedtoeric:
    Swimming is great exercise for pregnant women, and the chlorine isn't harmful to the fetus.  

This!  I LIVED in the pool when I was KU with DS.  It was great!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCherryblossoms07:

The only things that the prenatal water aerobics instructor suggested about pools was to make sure that the water is not too warm.  I forget what the suggested temperature was, but it would have to be a heated pool for the water temperature to be questionable. 

I think the recommended temp is under 100 degrees.  So basically, avoid hot tubs - I don't know that many heated pools get that warm.

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• imageMrsT2008:
    imageCherryblossoms07:

The only things that the prenatal water aerobics instructor suggested about pools was to make sure that the water is not too warm.  I forget what the suggested temperature was, but it would have to be a heated pool for the water temperature to be questionable. 

I think the recommended temp is under 100 degrees.  So basically, avoid hot tubs - I don't know that many heated pools get that warm.

No, it is 84 degrees (they changed the recommended temperature a few years ago, down from 86).  I looked it up when I went back to the pool yesterday.  One of the pools at our gym is kept at 86 degrees for the retirees so I have to use the unheated pool. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"