Dads & Dads-to-be

Colic and giving birth.

So if my wife cries and screams all the time for no reason does that mean our baby is going to have colic too?
On a more serious note. Wife is due next month and looking for some advice on what to take to the hospital? Also, any tips on how to be supportive during labor?

Re: Colic and giving birth.

• 1. It's possible

2. things that help her relax

3. Just hold her hand and do what she says

• In case you do decide to talk during labor here's an approved list of things you can say.

1. Take it like a man.

2. Ouch, you're squeezing my hand to tight.

3. Did that hurt?

4. How much longer?

5. Are you sure you want the epidural?

6. After the baby comes out - You didn't get smaller.

• Loading the player...
  • Iv got a car seat installed in both cars and we have our everything we can think of packed to go. She hasn't figured out what to bring baby girl home in yet. She wants to do it without meds and I hope she does but won't judge her if she doesn't. We have been doing hypnobirthing and guided imagery to help her do it without meds. does anyone have experience using these techniques and what helped and didn't?
  • I can't help you as far as labor goes as my wife never reached anywhere near the birthing part of labor.  Her water broke the 1st time and she was in labor, but apparently it wasn't anywhere near "go time", so it I assume, was still low on the overall pain scale before she got her c-section.

As far as what to bring... the only real thing you need to bring for the baby is an outfit to go home in and a car seat already installed, anything else is extra like a boppy, etc.  The hospital provides diapers, wipes, swaddling blankets, etc.  After that, it is your wife's and your preferences.  If you stay in the room the whole time, you may want to bring snacks/food, or change for the vending machines.  You may want to bring some reading material or something during the early stages of labor.  She could be in the hospital for a day before it is "go time" in theory (usually not that long) and unless you are fine watching TV the whole time, bring some form of other entertainment. Definitely the camera/cell phone and charger.  
  • I brought a hand held computer game, a book, a change of clothes for myself.  I stayed over night with her while giving birth with the first.  I plan on doing the same thing with this one if we have to go over night.

For me, I did bring snacks which was good for when you don't want to leave the hospital room.  I don't recall leaving the room until after our DS was born.

Then you do need a camera, cell phone, and chargers for all.  I didn't take any pictures during the actual delivery though since I was holding one leg.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I got a little freaked out by watching the youtube video of the mother having the baby as soon as they got to the hospital so I decided to prepare. I have some medical experience and training with patching people up but no training on delivering a baby. So I got my mass casualty bag (never know when you could come up on a bad wreck) out of the car looked through it and realized I only needed a few more things to be able to safely deliver the baby. Iv been reading online about how to do deliver the baby and what to do in case x happens. I also have some index cards with key notes for each situation. And I feel pretty confident that I could do it safely (if we don't make it to the hospital). Since iv been reading up on it I felt like I should be the one to catch baby when she comes out at the hospital (assuming no complications) so I asked her doctor if I could and she didn't have any problems with it. Has any of y'all caught your babies and have any tips from personal experience?
  • I could never do it. That's pretty cool though. I'm curios as to what your wife thinks about it though.
  • She said she's just worried that it will freak me out but I don't get freaked out by things to often.
  • That's not bad if that's her only concern. I thought she might say she'd rather you be by her side instead.
  • We will see what happens but I think catching our girl will be a bonding moment for me and her. My wife's mom is kinda like a midwife and runs a daycare so her mom will be by her side when I get under the hood to catch baby.
  • Man, you guys don't really need a hospital then. JK. Sounds like a solid plan to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"