2nd Trimester
Options

Job hunting while pregnant?

Just lost my job today out of the blue. Wondering if anyone had experience/success  of job hunting while pregnant. I'm almost 15 weeks along and doubtful anyone would hire someone who is pregnant. 

:\ 

Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Job hunting while pregnant?

• Options
    Are you showing yet?  I'm at 18 weeks and you can't really tell -- was just offered a FT job!  You don't have to disclose that you are pregnant until after you get an offer... and then it is illegal for the company to take the offer back.  Maternity leave varies from state to state.  And, in order to get paid maternity leave, (often) employee must have worked at company for 12 consecutive years.   I'm sorry you lost your job, and good luck to you. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Looking for anything I can get my hands on. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm 22 weeks and still barely showing, just be positive and don't let anyone treat you like you're less than because you're pregnant. You're totally capable of looking and finding a job
  • Options
    Honestly, I don't think you should hide the fact that you're pregnant. It is illegal to not hire someone because of being pregnant. However, they should be made aware that you will be needing leave at some point and some jobs just seriously aren't for pregnant people. I work in retail and last Christmas where I was working we had 2 pregnant ladies which wasn't a problem. What was a problem was the one girl lied about how far along she was and stopped showing up for shifts because she had started dilating. She didn't give any notice which made her not able to be rehired. 
  • Options
    Do not under any circumstances say that you are expecting until you have an offer letter in your hand.  Just because they cannot legally discriminate against you because you are pregnant does not mean that they will not.  They will either simply never contact you again or send a declination letter saying the position has been filled. 

FMLA is only for companies for a certain amount of employees and if they have that amount of employees it is only if you have worked for them for a year or 1250 hours.  Please do not bank on that either.

Good luck on Job Hunting, it is awful when you are pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am right there with you msmeg26 I just moved to a new area and had to leave my incredible job. Now I am only 12 weeks bit I too worry what a new employer will say and do when they do eventually find out. I am thinking of just looking for a part time job so when I do get bigger and have a hard time with long days I am not forced to work long hours. but everyone I have ever talked to say Dont ever say you are prego at the interview, they will most likely make an excuse not to hire you.

And while we are on this subject why DONT we have paid maternity leave? I mean come on USA you are punishing women for giving birth and when they want some time with the new baby yes you get so many mandatory days to spend with it without worry of your job, but you don't get paid a dime.

Sorry current rant above needed to be said. Maybe I will make a separate forum board for it.
  • Options

I interviewed when I was 27 weeks pg and obviously had a big bump.  It was a prn position (getting my foot in the door at this hospital) so I worked a bit until delivery and then went back around 3 months pp (no FMLA obviously).  Been there over 3 yrs now.

I was also working as a Target cashier from 6wks-38wks pg.  I interviewed pg, but didn't tell them until I was 14 wks.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You don't have to disclose that you are pregnant during an interview, and the potential employer is prevented (by law) from asking you, so there you go. Just don't wait too long, or you won't be able to hide it lol.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"