February 2015 Moms
Options

Beware your lowered immune system!

I had no idea that a pregnant woman's immune system was lowered during pregnancy. Apparently this is a wonderful mechanism to ensure our bodies don't combat our growing fetus (and their different blood types, aka they're a 'foreign object' like when you get an organ transplant!). However, we're MUCH more succeptible to illness. It hits us harder and can last longer. I've been sick twice in 4 weeks. Usually I can rub germs on me and not get sick. Stellar immune system right here. ;) My H had a niggling cough, which manifested in me as: horrible chest tightness and cough, severe backache, stuffiness, fever (the most concerning of course!) etc. bad news!! I'll be on extreme germ
Watch from here on out. More hand-washing and essential oil use like purification and thieves. I recommended looking into Homeopathics and find a skilled practitioner to tell you what's safe. Beware the germs, ladies!
Any other ideas for healing once sick? Or prevention in safe ways?

Re: Beware your lowered immune system!

• Options
    I was just thinking about this too. I'm worried about flu season. I always get some type of illness in the winter (virus, cold, strep). Not sure how that's gonna work with pregnancy. I'm imagining the worst :(
  • Options
    camilu87camilu87 member
    edited June 2014
    I already caught a stomach bug too! Be careful out there!
    Married the love of my life October 13th, 2012!
    BFP June 12th, 2014 (very faint), BFP June 13th, 2014 obviously positive

Our First Baby!
    BabyFruit TickerBabyFetus Ticker
    Team Green!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The whole house came down with an upper resp bug about 2 weeks ago. Needless to say, I'm still sick and had it way worse than my DD and DH. :(
  • Options
    Yep. I am sick for the second time this pregnancy, and I am only 5 weeks. Although I am fairly certain it is the same infection that came back, since my doctor told me to stop taking antibiotics after only 4 days.

Hope everyone else feels better soon.
  • Options
    My nose is soooo stuffy!!! I read that pregnancy rhinitis is common, but I am just hoping it doesn't turn into a sinus infection! Blahhh. As if morning sickness and fatigue wasn't enough!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Im 10 weeks and I'm sick right now! So stuffy, heAdaches, earaches, and every time I drink water it feels like I'm swallowing knives! My OBGYN said I could take Tylenol, but I'm nervous! I'm afraid to even eat cough drops with all the herbal ingredients...Any suggestions?
  • Options
    My DH's family swears by eating jalapeños and their homemade hot sauce.... If you can tolerate it. Hot sauce in the stores are not strong enough but, I have found some mom and pop taquerias that have raw or pickled jalapeños and some fiery hot sauce. Swear by in especially in the winter, keeps the flu bugs out of our systems. Peppers have more vitamin c than oranges. Plus, helps you go poop more often.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm suffering from allergies when I've NEVER had them before.  My ob said it was because I was immune suppressed.... hurray another pregnancy perk.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"