Pregnant after IF

Did your doctor recommend/discuss the NT Scan with you?

SKLHSKLH member
edited June 2014 in Pregnant after IF

I had my first OB appt this week and he never even ONCE brought up the NT Scan. I had a u/s in the office while I was there and when I asked him about future scans he basically said we'd have a anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I am 10 weeks and 2 days now. I'm just confused as to why we didn't even bring it up. At one point in our meeting he casually mentioned that there are several tests (no mention of ANY specific test) that I can consider if I'm interested in or not? If I didn't do research I'd have honest to God NO CLUE what he was talking about! I didn't even receive paper work about said test "options". It's just strange. Is it b/c we did CGH testing so he doesn't think we would need/want them??

Did anyone else have this happen? My best friend is pregnant and they called her last week and said "We're calling to schedule you're upcoming NT scan" and she's a week behind me. Do not all Drs do this or recommend it?

Me (28) DH (32)  Endometriosis                                                                                   IVF  #1 (1/2013) - 17 Retrieved, 16 Mature, 14 Fertilized- 2 transferred- BFN
FET #1 (7/2013) - 2 embryos - BFN
FET #2 (9/2013) - 2 emrbyos - BFN
New RE. Fresh Start
IVF  #2 (2/2014) - 25 Retrieved, 19 Mature, 16 Fertilized, 9 blasts.
                             CGH Testing: 6 Normal
FET #3 (4/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 35 Beta #2: 16 :(
FET #4 (5/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 321!!! Beta #2: 727.9!
6/5/2014 Heartbeat! 144bpm It's a girl!
Due January!

Re: Did your doctor recommend/discuss the NT Scan with you?

• SKLHSKLH member
    @calindi I should have mentioned, I don't feel the need for the testing. It's just for the reason to have a u/s! lol Apparently my OB use to have a "social u/s machine" but it recently went down and they haven't been able to get it back up and runinng so they are having to use the big momma machine (which is REALLY nice) and that one is run thorugh the insurance. I honestly am considering finding a RE with a machine that is easily accessible but at the same time EVERYONE recommended this OB to me! Argh
    Me (28) DH (32)  Endometriosis                                                                                   IVF  #1 (1/2013) - 17 Retrieved, 16 Mature, 14 Fertilized- 2 transferred- BFN
    FET #1 (7/2013) - 2 embryos - BFN
    FET #2 (9/2013) - 2 emrbyos - BFN
    New RE. Fresh Start
    IVF  #2 (2/2014) - 25 Retrieved, 19 Mature, 16 Fertilized, 9 blasts.
                                 CGH Testing: 6 Normal
    FET #3 (4/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 35 Beta #2: 16 :(
    FET #4 (5/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 321!!! Beta #2: 727.9!
    6/5/2014 Heartbeat! 144bpm It's a girl!
    Due January!

• My doc didn't mention the "NT Scan" either - at our first appointment with the MFM the ultrasound tech did the scan and just casually mentioned that everything looked fine, no further discussion with doctor or anything. After reading about others' scans on here, I thought it was a much bigger deal, but apparently it wasn't for them. The standard protocol at my obgyn is initial appt at 10 weeks, anatomy scan at 20 weeks, nothing in between! We only had the scan (not bloodwork) at the MFM because we were having twins and their office is very thorough.
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My RE referred me for the NT scan. He said they like to refer their IF patients because they have been through so much to get pregnant he has found it helps their peace of mind to have such a in depth ultrasound so early. 

At my first OB apt, I told my OB my RE referred me for one and he seemed shocked.  I do not think he would have given it to me as an option had my RE not referred me for one.  I really liked it and am glad we did it.  We declined all of the blood work regarding chromosomal problems but we got to check on our LO and see things like that the heart chambers were all there and that the other organs were developing like they were supposed to. 

**************SIGGY WARNING**************

BLOG

Me 32 :: DH 41

TTC since November, 2011

DH's SA : Excellent

Lap and Hysteroscopy June 2012

DX: PCOS, Stage III Endo, slight Adenomyosis, blocked tube, and probable LPD

Treatments:  6 Months Lupron Depot injections; 1500 mg metformin; 3 cycles of Clomid + TI = BFN

3 endometrial biopsies all were "out of phase" 

September - December, 2013:  Break to lose weight and get healthy

40 lb weight loss but still not ovulating "in phase"  

February - March 2014: bcps + follistim + trigger + TI = BFP

Beta #1 (12dpo): 30; Beta #2 (18dpo): 500; Beta #3 (25dpo): 7,000!!! 

1st u/s 4/16: One beautiful hb at 144 bmp 

2nd u/s 4/29: hb at 166 bmp.  Graduated from RE!!

TEAM PINK! 

Baby girl arrived on Thanksgiving day weighing 7lbs 6oz and measuring 20 inches

• ccamccam member
    My OB mentions it to every patient, gives us brochures on the testing and tells us that we need to schedule it within such and such a time period.    If you're interested in doing it, I would call and schedule it. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• dp21dp21 member
    edited June 2014
    My OB nurse gave us information packet at first appointment, said it is up to us if we want it done/our responsibility to check if insurance covers it, and gave us all the stuff we needed to know to set up our own appointment.  I got a US at 10 weeks with OB, had 11 week NT scan, and have another US at 12 weeks with OB.  My OB said we can do US every 2 weeks starting out since we are IVF patients, said she finds IVF pts struggle with waiting 4 weeks in between appointments.  She is totally understanding.  The NT scan was very cool.  We got the best US pictures from it, got to see baby move around a ton, blood flow through the umbilicus, kicking, and waving on a huge flat screen tv.  My hubby had his jaw dropped the whole time. 

Me:
    30, DH: 32
    My hx:  uterus/hormones normal Dx: low AMH 0.5 = poor ovarian reserve
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

Started IVF #1:  ~BFP Mentioned~
    • ER (Thursday April 17th, 3 precious eggs).
    • April 18th: Received news 2 out of 3 eggs fertilized!
    •  Planned 3dt: Easter day, transferred two 8B embryos and received pictures :)
    • BFP starting 8dp3dt 5/1 Beta #1: 87, 5/3 Beta #2 206 
    • 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• My OB mentioned it at my first appt and suggested I have it done. I'm not sure if he suggests it for all his patients, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does as he is very cautious/thorough.

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• My OB had it scheduled and acted like it was a matter of course but I am 35 years old and did no CGH testing. 
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I honestly wish I never had the NT scan.  They are using a ultrasound to measure the thickness of the neck and ours was 2 mm over their recommended.  They had us do more testing and everything thing was one of your babies might have downs.  EVERYTHING IS MIGHT!  It is not worth the stress.  I had another ultrasound at week 16 and the thickness cleared itself us so all that worrying was for no reason.  If you want to see them you can schedule one at a 4d place and do a 60 min with gender reveal.  That might be an option.
    TTC 2007
    Me-OK DH- MFI
    2010 IUI 1-3 Femara + Ovidrill BFN
    Change DR 5/12 IUI 4-5 Natural Cycle BFN
    5/13 DH diagnosed with b1/b3 microdeletion of Y chromosome
    IVF #1 July  Started Lupron 7/5 AF 7/14
    ER 8/1 7R 5M 3F W/ICSI ET 8/6 Moved to 8/7 due to no blast 
    Transferred our UNO embryo Beta #1 27 Beta #2 33 Beta #3 29 CP :(
    IVF #2 Started Lupron 2/14 
    Protocol 10U Lupron, 150 Bravelle, 150 Menopur, HGH for 4 days, Dexamethesone, 
    Supplements 6000mg CoQ10, 100mg DHEA, Vitamin D, Folic Acid, 
    ER 3/12 8R 4 able to be injected 2f with ICSI ET 3/15 2 "perfect" textbook Embryos
    2 crinone, estrace, dexamethesone, doxycycline
    BETA #1 3/26 201  BETA #2 3/28 524  BETA #3 4/5 9,876  Ultrasound April 7 Showed TWINs
    April 18 ultrasound Baby A HB 147   Baby B HB 146  Both measuring 7w1d
    WE ARE TEAM BLUE X2!
    Jonathan Daniel received his angel wings July 23, 2014 :( born 9/20/14
    Jackson Thomas was born October 31, 2014 @ 35w 5d

• I live in CA and it's actually covered by the state so everyone I know gets it done because it's free. You technically don't have to but all my friends, even those in their 20s don't miss the chance for an extra ultrasound.

I just had a FB friend get some not so great results so at the time our insurance provider offered her the maternit21 test. They don't offer it unless you have need for it.

It's really up to you rather you want it done or not but I'd check with your insurance first about whether or not they cover it.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • indianaalumindianaalum member
    edited June 2014
    NT Scan is usually recommended for women over 35. I had a pretty bad experience from it as my age jacked up the "risk factor" and scared the living daylights out of me for weeks, so I personally would recommend doing a NIPT test (Matern21, Panorama, Verifiy, Harmony) over this one because they are more accurate and test for more things. The problem is that I guess alot of insurance companies don't always pay for those esp for younger women. 

NT Scan basically gives you a "risk factor" for Down Syndrome and Edwards Syndrome, whereas those other tests, test for many more "syndromes". The later will also tell you gender, if you like to know. (on the downside, you don't SEE the baby on an ultrasound with these)

IF you do the NT scan, here is some words of advice:

1) Directly ASK if they see a nasal bone. It is an important soft marker for Down Syndrome. I had a ton of confusion on whether my baby had one or not. I spend 3 weeks thinking my baby did NOT have one (which is a marker) only to find out they never measured it.

2) Know the numbers they give (ESP if you are older) are still just "risk factors". It does not mean the baby has it at all.

3) When they give the PAPP-A results (bloodwork) ask for your number.
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• calindi said:
    My first ob/gyn practice told me I would not be getting another ultrasound until the 20 week anatomy scan, that they don't recommend NT scan for anyone under 35 years old.

For several reasons, I left that ob/gyn and found another practice.  This one will break out the ultrasound machine for fun during visits (love that) but also says they won't do the NT scan.  My CNM actually said she thought it was an outdated test - that the NIMTs like Panorama and Maternit21 are much more accurate and offer fewer false positives to worry people.

If it were the only way I'd get another look at my baby, I'd be bummed, but since they're willing to give me an ultrasound during my visits just to take a peek at my dancing bean, I don't mind at all.  I'm not really nervous about those things, and don't feel the need to rule them out for peace of mind.  However, if I was, I'd probably push for Panorama or Maternit21.
    I second that notion.........I actually predict that these tests will be the "standard" over that test within the next 5 years.

Find my old post to hear my experience
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• I'm 32 and when I first went into the office and sat down with my new OB we went over my history. He asked if I wanted the NT scan. I said YES. I asked about the other tests like mat21 and he said those are recommended for women over 35. My insurance will only cover the NT scan not the other tests like mat21 bc I'm not 35 so I figured why not. I had the NT scan at 12 weeks and I now feel better bc everything came back in normal range.  If your insurance covers it, I would go for it.  
    ***SIGGY WARNING***

DX: Unexplained
    6 Failed IUIs (Clomid and Gonal F).  
    IVF #1 began August 2013- BC, 4 days of Estrace, stimmed with Gonal F and Menopur, Ganirelix, 9R 5M 5F, Medrol and Doxycycline, 5 day transfer of 2 early blastocysts- good quality, Progesterone, Estrace, and baby aspirin, BETA on 9/20 BFN,   IVF #2 began September 2013, stimming with Gonal F (higher dose) and Menopur, Ganirelix, 18R 14M 9F with ICSI, 5 day transfer of 2 BBs one was starting to hatch, 2 frosties: 1  BB and 1 AC, BETA on 10/21, BFN BETA was a 5- chemical 
    Getting some more testing and trying to figure out what the issue is before FET in December, started acupuncture on 11/10, RLP and some other BW nothing major to report except slightly high Prolactin. Prolactin was slightly high when I started with my RE and I already had an MRI which was Neg.  Endo biopsy=negative.  WTF is wrong with us???
    12/18/13 FET of 1 BB and 1 AC.  Hoping for a miracle.  Beta 12/26 Low BETA-8 2nd BETA 5- chemical
    After 3 failed transfers IDK where to go from here.  Still no real answers as to why this isn't working.  Getting a second opinion in February and looking into immune testing.  
    2/14- NEW RE- Immune testing showed a partial dq alpha match with DH- On prednisone and did intralipids prior to transfer.  3/14 Lupron, gonal f, menopur, HGH.  ER 15 mature all 15 fertilized!  5dt of an early blast grade 1 and an expanded blast grade 2.  BETA on 4/21.  1 grade 2 embryo frozen
    BETA #1 59 BETA #2 148 BETA #3 283 BETA #4 2,783! US at 6w2d shows 1 bean measuring right on track! HR 121.  US at 8w3d measuring on track HR 177. Released form my RE.  EDD 12/28

All Welcome
  • We did w dd and through our RE; they were the ones who told is and recommended that and another one as just u/s so least invasive tests. Anyway, was great for peace of mind (I was 29, now 33) and will do again, but it is weird it is no one ever suggested it, I felt like it was badgered into my brain lol, I was like, I'm not even 30? Now I get it more, but it does seem weird.
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"