Breastfeeding
Options

BFing with a toddler.. Tips?

Hi all! I nursed my first til 28ish months, when I got pregnant again. At that point, I developed an aversion and couldn't do it anymore. She was already down to just a few times a week, so there was no problem for either of us to wean. My question is how on earth am I going to do it again with a 3 year old to take care of and entertain?! I remember just sitting on the couch all day with her latched. That's not really an option this time... So what are some ideas for my toddler to do while I nurse the new baby? I have a couple carriers to try to nurse in, but need some more ideas! Tia :)
photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: BFing with a toddler.. Tips?

• Options
    We played a lot of games on the floor in ds's room and also read soooo many books. Get a few things that are just for nursing time. There was also too much pbs time during the first few weeks. Ds loves old maid. That would be easy to play while nursing.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options
    Um, Mickey Mouse club house works for us. :) you gotta do what you gotta do
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What about baby wearing? Pop the little one in a sling/wrap and nurse on the go sometimes (though I agree that judicious use of Mickey probably wouldn't hurt either ;-) )
  • Options
    purtzpurtz member
    This is a challenge- no doubt! Seems DD always wants or needs something right when I sit down to start feeding DS. I've learned to prioritize our toddler at times over BF; it's much easier to deal with a hungry newborn than a toddler who pees on the floor or has a complete meltdown.

• Options
    I tried to have cup of juice & snacks handy for LO to get himself while I was busy BF and told him to wait a little and I would get him more food or whatever. But I would play with him or read. He was fascinated with watching me BF and question/answer sessions mostly. Try having and activity that you can do together while BF like playing Legos or playdoh etc. My oldest is 5 so is more independent and was fine playing a game on his iPad for a little while too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"