May 2014 Moms
Options

Babysitting family issue

My family is so annoying. We are lucky enough to have my parents, my in laws and both our siblings within 15 minutes of us. My family gets mad/jealous when we ask DH's family to watch the baby. Especially my mom who is extremely sensitive and basically has the emotional roller coasters of a 14 year old. She is GREAT with kids. We joke she does better with kids than adults. I try to explain to my mom that they live 5 minutes away and it's easier. Also, we have only left baby twice, once with the in laws and once with my sister. I just don't know how to deal with it. She's so darn sensitive it doesn't help to explain it to her. Anyone else have this issue? How did you deal? I shouldn't have to feel bad asking one set of grandparents over another

Re: Babysitting family issue

• Options
    No real advice because i have the opposite issue where my family is great with kids and i will only ask them to babysitt and not DHs family. They are all so awkward with children it is scary to watch them even try to hold a baby or even pass baby from one another is like a sport event they've never tried before. Not even sure how she had two kids to be honest. All i can say is it has not gotten any better for us. MIL is still annoyed but eff her, she has no interest in trying to get more comfortable with kids so i wont try to be ok with her. It has been almost 2.5 years since our DD was born and and she is still the same. We have faught over it and DH doesnt defend me so im screwed. I really hope you can find a way to fix it and make them all happy. I tried to explain to DH my reasons (he sucks at the baby thing too so its really tough for even him to get it). Not sure what to suggest except to keep trying tp explain how you feel. Also try not to let your Mom know the inlaws baby-sit when they do?Good luck. Hope it gets better for you.
  • Options
    My mother is similar. I try to leave when LO has seen her other set of grandparents out of conversation. I send her a lot of photos and when I do take LO over to her house, I try to let her know how great she is with the baby. It's a work in progress, but what we've been doing regarding grandparent jealousy has come a long way since LO's birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom is very similar. It's annoying.

I personally don't indulge the theatrics and leave her to be mad. When my dad plays peacekeeper I just say it's her problem to sit and stew.

The odd time I give in when I don't see it to be a big deal in the big picture.

It's not like we don't love them. It's just in the moment other things happen or are decided. Geez.
  • Options
    Ya I'm just frustrated with her. And it is hard to keep things from her because DH, my sister and my mom all work in the same office so they know everything. DH would have to blatantly lie in order for them not to know and he isn't comfortable with that. I'm sure it will get better with time. Everyone is always crazy about a newborn and people start to care less as they get bigger. Glad to know I'm not alone. I love my mom but sometimes I can't take the crazy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"