High-Risk Pregnancy

Push for switch to Heparin?

I know there are a lot of discussions about Lovenox and Heparin on here, but I specifically wanted to ask those on Lovenox if they are being switched to Heparin and at what point.  My MFM is not really in favor of the switch because he says it is harder to manage and get the doses correct.  I am absolutely terrified of having a spinal done after being on Lovenox due to all of the warnings (I need a repeat c-section), however, I am not sure the risks are much less with Heparin.  He also said that I will be withholding my Lovenox for at least 24 hours, I would like 48, and he mentioned that I am not at that high of risk for clots.  If that is the case I would prefer to be off of everything for as long as possible so I can lower the risks as much as possible!  I guess I am just looking for any success stories or advice on if I should push for the switch to Heparin.  Thanks!

Re: Push for switch to Heparin?

• edited June 2014
    Thanks for the response!  It makes me feel better to know that other doctors have the same recommendations!  Thanks and good luck to you!
  • Hi! My doctor originally wanted to keep me on Lovenox but then the anesthesiologist said it is important to switch to Heparin, so I switched at 38 weeks. They did the blood test to make sure I could get an epi but my blood was too thin even on the Herparin, even though it had been 12 hours since my last injection. I ended up having a natural birth without an epi or pain meds. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was still on lovanox and had an epi. It was an emergency and it had been 12 hours since my last dose when I had my c section.

I was pretty terrified but the amastesiologis said the risk of a bleed is really low and it isn't higher because if the lovanox. The problem with lovanox only comes if you do get a bleed and even then there are things they can do.

It was never the plan to switch me, but it had been the plan to have me stop 24 hour before.
  • Last time I never switched but didn't take Lovenox for 48 hours before my induction at 39 weeks.  This time I have a cerclage for cervical incompetence and will be switching to Heparin on Monday - 36 weeks and 2 days, just prior to my cerclage removal on Wednesday. I think that I will only be off heparin the day before the removal in case I need a spinal or go into labor spontaneously after the procedure.  I know I stopped Aspirin a week before my induction and have already held it this time for the procedure.  

BFP#1: MMC - Trisomy 16 - D&C 9/11/11
    BFP#2:  Beautiful Boy 7/23/12
    BFP#3:  EDD 7/25/14

Me: Thrombophilia, Hetero MTHFR, IC
    Lovenoxing, cerclaging... good times

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"