Natural Birth

Baby not engaged at 39 weeks

Hi all. I'm mostly a lurker here so I hope you won't mind me posting and asking a question :)
I've been feeling very down since Thursday at my 39 week appointment when the doctor told me the baby is way high up and I haven't made any progress at all. Apparently for a FTM the baby is supposed to be engage by 38 weeks and now I'm facing the possibility of a c-section. The doctor hasn't pressured to do anything yet, but I have a feeling I will have to make a tough decision at my next appointment. Has this happened to anyone else, and do you have any advice? I guess I just don't know the right route to take if they try to get me to induce or do c-section. I want so badly to do natural birth :(

Re: Baby not engaged at 39 weeks

• Some babies don't engage until labor. There is no reason for an induction or c/s solely due to the fact that LO hasn't engaged at 39 weeks.

If they try to push for an induction, ask for your Bishop's score. Use that to help you make your decision about whether or not you agree to an induction.

There is no way (without any other factors) that I'd be agreeing to a c/s right away because baby hasn't engaged at 39 weeks.

You can still have the birth you want!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • barnwife said:
    Some babies don't engage until labor. There is no reason for an induction or c/s solely due to the fact that LO hasn't engaged at 39 weeks.

If they try to push for an induction, ask for your Bishop's score. Use that to help you make your decision about whether or not you agree to an induction.

There is no way (without any other factors) that I'd be agreeing to a c/s right away because baby hasn't engaged at 39 weeks.

You can still have the birth you want!
    Thanks. I don't know what my exact Bishop's score is, but I believe my cervix is not dilated or effaced at all.
    It's good to know that baby can drop during labor - I think I'm going to try to hold out as long as possible until I go into labor naturally.
  • Loading the player...
  • joanart said:
    Hi all. I'm mostly a lurker here so I hope you won't mind me posting and asking a question :)
    I've been feeling very down since Thursday at my 39 week appointment when the doctor told me the baby is way high up and I haven't made any progress at all. Apparently for a FTM the baby is supposed to be engage by 38 weeks and now I'm facing the possibility of a c-section. The doctor hasn't pressured to do anything yet, but I have a feeling I will have to make a tough decision at my next appointment. Has this happened to anyone else, and do you have any advice? I guess I just don't know the right route to take if they try to get me to induce or do c-section. I want so badly to do natural birth :(
    No, no, no.  There is no "supposed to," especially for FTMs.  My first was NINE days late.  No one mentioned induction or c-section.  You have plenty of time and most FTMs deliver late.  Just as someone can walk around dilated and effaced for weeks, you can have a closed cervix and high baby until labor starts.  I'd wait until a week past due to even start having those discussions.  You have the final say and you need to stand up for yourself. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Um, what? I had the exact same report at 39w, 3d and my OB didn't blink an eye. Then again, my OB is not c-section happy. And 2 days later, I had a baby in my arms. I crawled around on my hands and knees as suggested by my doula and I was in active labor 6 hours later.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Thank you all - I feel much better after reading your responses. I'm not going to give into pressure to do anything.
  • I would not worry about it! Everyone is so different. Do check out spinning babies though to try to get baby into a favorable position - can't hurt!
  • I would not worry about it! Everyone is so different. Do check out spinning babies though to try to get baby into a favorable position - can't hurt!
    Thanks! I have been trying to do the exercises, though some of them make my heartburn worse so I can't do it as often as I'd like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"