Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Fell while wearing baby in Ergobaby carrier

I had the most awful experience the other day. I tripped & fell while wearing my 4 month old in a front carry position in my Ergobaby carrier. The toe of one foot caught in the opposite pant leg (1st mistake, wearing sandals) & we went down right over a curb. My knees landed at the parking lot level, with the curb at my waist & my hands in the grassy part of the curb. Thankfully we didn't hit the sidewalk. But the worst part was my baby hit her head. I was so concerned with not smashing her that I didn't protect her head. She was strapped securely into the carrier, so I don't think she hit full force, but still, it was hard enough to cause a goose egg. After a visit to her doctor & a precautionary CT scan, we know she’s ok. She didn't have any worrisome symptoms, wasn't knocked out, no vomiting or lethargy, & was smiling & acting fine 20 minutes after the incident. But I feel like a failure, I didn't' protect her well enough. Like the worst mom ever. So many blog posts I've read are about how parents protect their babies & take the brunt of the injuries. I'm just wondering, is there anyone else out there that's had an experience similar to this?

Re: Fell while wearing baby in Ergobaby carrier

• Just a side note, please, no judgement. I can't even begin to describe how guilty I feel. Every time I think about the incident, I start to panic inside. I can't believe it actually happened.
  • I'm so sorry!  These kinds of accidents really are very common.  When DS was only about 2 weeks old, I tripped carrying him down the stairs.  He was OK, but I also felt like the worst mom ever! 

I'm really glad to hear that it sounds like everything is fine with your baby, and it was good of you to get a CT scan just to make sure. You are a great mom because of how much if affected you, and I'm sure you will be super careful in the future (I know I am crazy careful going down the stairs now!)

I hope you feel better and forgive yourself.  Accidents will happen with kids!
                        Nathaniel Robert born 1.16.2014

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry that happened. Sounds like you did the best you could with the situation. Also, good call going to the dr.
  • flclflcl member
    Oh my goodness, that sounds awful.  I'm so sorry you and your baby went through that but it you did the right thing following up with the doctor.  I wear my baby all the time (with sandals too) and worry about tripping or falling as I used to trip and fall all time before he was born.  Thanks for sharing your story, no more baby wearing with sandals for me.  As guilty as you feel, you have to find a way to forgive yourself.  It was an accident and accidents will happen with kids.  You tried your best to protect her and you did the right thing getting her checked out.  Hopefully this will bother you less and less as each day goes on.  Hang in there!
  • I was playing with my 2 yo, we fell, I tried to block her but she ended up jamming her toe on the ground as we fell and broke it! I broke her toe! I felt awful, she doesn't even remember 2 years later so we are all good. Accidents happen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I tripped over my cat and fell onto tile with DS. I landed on my back but he went sliding across the tile into the wall. :((

A trip to the doctor proved that he was perfectly fine. He bumped his head but honestly not even a bruise.

You aren't a failure. Accidents happen, mama. When DD was 16 months old she ran, tripped & clocked her forehead/mouth & chin on our coffee table. I tried to catch her but only managed to get her waist. I felt awful because she got a bloody nose. She is & was fine. You still feel awful, I know.

You do the best you can, but the truth is that falls, bumps, bruised & such will happen no matter how careful you are. It doesn't make you a bad mother.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I fell down our front porch steps while carrying DS3 when he was 2. I misjudged and thought I was on the last step when actually I had one more to go. He face planted, I sprained my ankle. To this day, almost 7 years later, he'll bring up the time mom fell and he face planted. Luckily, he landed on the grass. 
  • I haven't fallen while carrying my daughter, but I did snip her finger cutting her nails when she was a month old.  It was the worst feeling in the world......no parent is perfect!!!!!
    Meet DH in 2008 - Engaged on 4.11.2011 - Married on 9.22.2012 - BFP on 5.10.2013 - DD born via emergency c-section on 1.23.2014 

• roo1ooroo1oo member
    Oh man I feel for you. I have always worried about tripping while wearing my son in the Ergo. I've nearly tripped several times. I also always worry about the stroller getting away from me while going down a hill. When I was about 3 weeks post partum I fell down a flight of stairs and thank god was not carrying the baby but I was so upset after the incident just thinking about what could of happened if I had been carrying the baby. Things happen all the time, don't beat yourself up over it.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • About a month ago LO's head bonked on her nursery doorframe while I was trying to open the  door while carrying her (mistake on my part). She squirmed and threw her head back and technically bonked her own head, but I still felt like I did it. She looked stunned for a second and then starting crying (I think just as much from being startled as anything else). That set me off crying and apologizing to her over and over. DH came running up the stairs hearing us both crying and me apologizing thinking I had dropped her or something. Turned out she was just fine a minute later after DH calmed us both down. She had a temporary red mark that faded by the end of the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Thank you to everyone for the kind & encouraging words. I still feel horrible about the incident, probably always will, but my baby is doing great & her head is almost completely healed. I know accidents happened, but I did learn a lesson too, don't wear baggy pants & sandals while wearing or carrying my baby. I used the Ergobaby pack this weekend, for the first time since the accident. It helped me feel better, more confident that I CAN safely wear my baby again. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the support.
  • i would feel awful too! I'm sorry! accidents happen. my baby threw her head back the other day when i was standing in the door frame of the bathroom talking to my husband. she whacked it on the frame, I felt awful! my husband looked at me like I did it on purpose....then 3 days later she did it when he was holding her in the same bathroom (needless to say we don't stand there with her anymore) and he panicked and said "she did it! i didn't do anything omg what happened!" i said "ya i know that's exactly what she did to me!". we still both felt awful about it! she's forgotten about it though, we haven't
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"