Baby Names

Thoughts on the name Ainsley?

I have loved this name for years but can't decide if it's too out there. I get mixed reactions from people.

Re: Thoughts on the name Ainsley?

• DaisyZHDaisyZH member
    I don't think it's out there, I know a few little Ainsleys. Personally I do not like the way this name sounds, but if you love it you should use it. I think almost every name gets mixed reactions unless it's something like Emma, Charlotte, etc. It's close to impossible to find a name everyone will like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• NLJ82NLJ82 member
    I don't think it's too out there, but personally...I just hear "Anus" :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not a fan.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I don't like Ainsley, but I don't think it's "out there" at all. Older generations may not be familiar with it, but I imagine most people your daughter interacts with over her lifetime will be recognize it as fitting in with current trends. 
    Agree.

Depending on where you live, Ainsley may be a top-150 name. It's #102 in Louisiana, #135 in Iowa, #136 in Montana, and #144 in New Hampshire. It's top-250 in another 14 states as well.
  • It's fine and not strange to me, I just don't like it.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I like it but dont love it .
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited May 2014

I like it but dont love it .

+1
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• katib77katib77 member
    Any fan of the show The West Wing will love it! (me included), I met a little Ainsley a few years ago and made that comment and the mother laughed and said that is where they got the name.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• It's just okay to me. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I don't think it's "too out there".
  • saham07saham07 member
    I don't like it at all, but it isn't horrible. Sounds like the perpetual 4year old! Hard to imagine on a serious adult.
  • I hate it. I really don't "get" this name.
  • NMS, but I don't dislike it.  The owner of the restaurant where I worked the summer after college had a daughter named Ainsley, and we had a fancy grilled-cheese sandwich on the menu named after her.  The kid was a spoiled brat, but the sandwich was delicious!

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • NMS, it sounds too pretentious to me. I just think of some old British dude like Lord Ainsley.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• pnutgpnutg member
    I know an Ainsley but I'm not a huge fan.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree that it's not out there.  Older generations might not be familiar with it but it's fairly well known for your LO's generation.  I do not like this name at all.  I do not see any appeal to it.  
  • I;m another not finding it too out there but also not a fan, there are just so many beautiful names I can't imagine choosing that one.
  • NMS. I don't like the way the syllables sound so close together. It seems awkward to me.

• When I hear this name it makes me feel like the first letter is missing. Like I automatically want to say Tainsley, Painsley, Gainsley etc. I have no idea why.
  • Not a fan.
  • Yep all I hear is anus/anal.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hahaha that is my fear! The association with anus. I think I will probably stick with Anna if we have a girl. Our son's name is William.
  • There is a lubricant called ANAL EASE thats all i can think about every time i hear this name.
  • Hahaha that is my fear! The association with anus. I think I will probably stick with Anna if we have a girl. Our son's name is William.

I love Anna and I think it goes with a classic name like William much better than Ainsley does.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • It's trendy and to me it's too last-namey (I have friends with that surname). NMS at all.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
    I think Anna goes a lot better with William than Ainsley does.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I'm the oddball out here because it's been a family name since my great great grandmother in Scotland. It's been paired with Jessica as a sort of double first name in various forms, too. Originally Jessica Ainsley, Jessie Ainsley (a few), and my sister got Jesanne. I love it!
  • I like it and actually don't get the "anus" reference. I do agree with pp that it is a trendy name that will be recognized by most, so not too out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"