September 2012 Moms
Options

UO

Re: UO

• Options
    melody921 said:
    If a restaurant is going to have a kids menu, they should make some effort to be kid-friendly.  If I take my kid to an adult-oriented place, I don't expect them to have cups with lids or changing areas in the bathroom, but if you offer a kids menu and tell me kids are welcome over the phone, I feel like you should have the kinds of things that kids need.  Especially fast food places.  We stopped at a Wendy's and Subway when we were on the road this weekend and neither had a changing table. WTF?
    No changing table is one of my biggest pet peeves. I think every bathroom should have one. Starbucks FTW!
    Men's rooms too! I ALWAYS have to change L when we are out because most of the men's rooms don't have a table.
    Yes!  I hate that too.  
  • Options
    Eastie156 said:
    melody921 said:
    If you want to buy something off of CL, you need to be willing to pick it up. I shouldn't have to drive all over creation to sell you a breast pump at a discounted rate.

Also, said buyer should actually show up to get the item they so desperately wanted to buy from you.
    YES! Last time we tried to unload something via CL, the woman cancelled twice then stood me up the final time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    AlinnJoAlinnJo member
    We for upgraded for free to a 2 bedroom villa at Old Key West. It was amazing!! We are saving up to stay at the Grand Floridian next. I can't wait!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Pokedot said:

I plant annuals every year. I love going to the green house browsing and buying them. I hate planting them but what can you do? They add so much character to our house. We always get so many compliments on them in the summer from people walking by.

I don't know enough about our preschool/K program yet to comment on what goes on here. I do know that DS will be 6 at the beginning of the year when he goes because the cutoff will be September 1.

I've come to the conclusion that some people's kids are weird. Maybe it's me, maybe it's them, IDK. Everytime we go to the park there's always some kid just dying for my attention when their parent is right there. IDK if they don't get enough, just looking for someone new or what but it gets annoying and I hope DS isn't like that.

Also if you are going to yell your child's name 100x at the park and they don't listen/answer for God sake try a new approach! They aren't listening. Get off your ass and parent. Not from the bench.

Uh, maybe they are just sociable?

Everywhere we go, Tessa introduces herself to everyone she meets. She'll go up to strangers and chat them right up.

Glad my kid is a weirdo who needs attention because we aren't giving her any.
    Ethan is the same way.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    PokedotPokedot member

Pokedot said:

I plant annuals every year. I love going to the green house browsing and buying them. I hate planting them but what can you do? They add so much character to our house. We always get so many compliments on them in the summer from people walking by.

I don't know enough about our preschool/K program yet to comment on what goes on here. I do know that DS will be 6 at the beginning of the year when he goes because the cutoff will be September 1.

I've come to the conclusion that some people's kids are weird. Maybe it's me, maybe it's them, IDK. Everytime we go to the park there's always some kid just dying for my attention when their parent is right there. IDK if they don't get enough, just looking for someone new or what but it gets annoying and I hope DS isn't like that.

Also if you are going to yell your child's name 100x at the park and they don't listen/answer for God sake try a new approach! They aren't listening. Get off your ass and parent. Not from the bench.

Everywhere we go, Tessa introduces herself to everyone she meets. She'll go up to strangers and chat them right up.

That's not exactly what I meant thankyouverymuch. I'm all about social kids and playing. Having fun. I just find it weird that a parent around or not the cling on like it's for life or death. Chat my ear off, ask me my son's name, how old he is etc. but play with the kids. Every single time we go to the park there's at least 1 kid who just clings to me instead of playing with their friends, siblings etc.

• Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    AKB090609 said:
    Pokedot said:

I'm pretty sure this will be my kid, I mean it is now, but most people can't understand WTF she's saying. This is also why I have a new found appreciation for the old people in our area who smile and reply to DD when she chats them up at least they aren't rolling their eyes at my friendly kid!

Oh there's no eye rolling, I talk back. Ask questions am friendly as ever to them.

• Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    No eye rolling, it's just annoying and they are clearly missing something at home. Got it.
    Seriously?

• Options
    I was coming in here to say that I think annuals are a waste of money, but @dimples12 beat me to it. :-)  The only non-perennial plants I buy are herbs and vegetables, and I'm not even bothering with those this year because we joined a CSA & my deck will probably never be finished.

Also, @melody921, I really want to know what your weird first name is.  You've referenced it a couple times and how people screw it up, so I'm imagining it to be something like Princess Consuela Banana Hammock.
    Bwahaha, OK, not that weird. It's Bevin, pronounced exactly as it looks (as in, rhymes with Kevin), but people are dumb so it has gotten every variation known to man.
    ---- I thought your name was Melody...
    Nope, just like music and didn't want my name as my screen name. Your name's not Spoof, is it? :-)

• Options

Kissty said:
    Preschool/4k is pretty much a prerequisite for K now.  

With all the skills and information a child needs to know before K so they can learn all the requirements in K I think kids who do not attend preschool/4k are at a disadvantage. (Not all of them, because I am sure there are some very dedicated and knowledgeable parents who prepare them for K)

Schools should just make Pre-K part of their system.

Here's my problem: We are middle class. Lower end. That being said we do not qualify for any assitance. Around these parts "lower" income qualifies for Pre K to be free. So those children are not at a disadvantage. Obvoiusly upper income can afford to pay for Pre K so those children go. We are stuck in the middle not qualifying and not really being able to afford it. We will have to find a way to afford it so my child doesn't get left behind. I do think Pre K is a good head start and I would hate to think he was behind before he got started. Stick it to the middle class again!
    This is where we are at.  Which is why I think the school districts should just incorporate Pre-K into the school, instead of parents paying for it OOP to an outside program.  Most likely taxes would be increased to make this happen.
    We are so lucky that they do this in our area.  Full day (9-2:30) Pre-K for 3 and 4-year-olds is free, we just have to pay for wraparound care.  Plus our taxes are subsidized- win!
    This is what I was going to say. Finally a good point to our area...
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options
    Pokedot said:

Pokedot said:

That's not exactly what I meant thankyouverymuch. I'm all about social kids and playing. Having fun. I just find it weird that a parent around or not the cling on like it's for life or death. Chat my ear off, ask me my son's name, how old he is etc. but play with the kids. Every single time we go to the park there's at least 1 kid who just clings to me instead of playing with their friends, siblings etc.
    Maybe you're the weird one.
    :|
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options
    I'd love to get our kids into the STEM academy that's around 2 blocks from our house for K5. I just think having them get involved in sciences earlier on might be beneficial later on and hopefully would be something they'd enjoy.  DH was a nuclear chemist in the Navy, and has had various chemist related jobs since then, so it would be neat if they would take more after him and not want to go to school for fluff and nonsense like I did. :-) 

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    Pokedot said:
    No eye rolling, it's just annoying and they are clearly missing something at home. Got it.
    Seriously?
    Those are the exact words you said, Poke.
    "IDK if they don't get enough, just looking for someone new or what but it gets annoying and I hope DS isn't like that"

I want to go to the park, enjoy time with my son, talk to other kids and have them interact with him. I get annoyed, yes when the kid won't leave me alone. Like the entire hour I'm there with him. So if that makes me a terrible person. So be it. There is no eye rolling, no short discussions. I'm friendly, smile and hold a conversation.

• Options
    Kindergarten is intense now. DS1 could read by the end. DH swears he could hardly write his own name in kindergarten (he's a super smart guy too).

DS2 just finished pre-k. It was 5 days a week 8-1230. He knows about 10 sight words, can write all letters (upper and lower case) count and identify numbers to 100. It's insane. He'll be 5 in July so he's a young kindergartner. I had NO idea this crap was expected at his age when DS1 was his age. I'm beyond thankful that we have an awesome preschool & prek that prepare them (and help us know what to do at home too).

Preschool is free to only those kids who are behind developmentally. It's not income based here. There is not public pre-k here. Even though DD stays home with my aunt while I work (boys were in daycare at her age), we will put her in preschool at 3-4, prek at 4-5, and kindergarten at 5-6. My teacher friends really stressed the importance of a solid foundation with reading.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mrsbhk22 said:
    Kindergarten is intense now. DS1 could read by the end. DH swears he could hardly write his own name in kindergarten (he's a super smart guy too). DS2 just finished pre-k. It was 5 days a week 8-1230. He knows about 10 sight words, can write all letters (upper and lower case) count and identify numbers to 100. It's insane. He'll be 5 in July so he's a young kindergartner. I had NO idea this crap was expected at his age when DS1 was his age. I'm beyond thankful that we have an awesome preschool & prek that prepare them (and help us know what to do at home too). Preschool is free to only those kids who are behind developmentally. It's not income based here. There is not public pre-k here. Even though DD stays home with my aunt while I work (boys were in daycare at her age), we will put her in preschool at 3-4, prek at 4-5, and kindergarten at 5-6. My teacher friends really stressed the importance of a solid foundation with reading.
    My mom taught me to read before I went to kindergarten, but in our district, they taught it that year as well. I didn't know that wasn't standard in most schools.

That reminds me of a friend's daughter who goes to an artsy charter school. A lot of things about the school sound very cool, but she is 7, in first grade, and they're still not teaching reading. I would not be OK with that.

• Options
    Starbucks is awesome. So is almond butter. That's all I've got.
    FTFY. :-p

Almond butter is fine, but no match for peanut butter.

• Options
    Starbucks is gross. So is almond butter. That's all I've got.
    Agreed.

But My SIL made some homemade rasberry butter and put it on a biscuit and OMG it was amazing.
    YUM! What goes in raspberry butter?

• Options
    BobKat22 said:
    Changing tables make me want to vom. I used one once in an airport and wanted to cry. I take DD out to the parking lot and lay her in the back of my SUV. I'm sure I get looks.
    I do the same thing, usually bc I'm somewhere with no changing table. I don't think it's odd.

• Options
    BobKat22 said:
    Changing tables make me want to vom. I used one once in an airport and wanted to cry. I take DD out to the parking lot and lay her in the back of my SUV. I'm sure I get looks.
    I usually wipe it down with a wipe and use a changing mat that I keep in the diaper bag.  Normally I try to wait until we are somewhere nice and clean to change him anyway but when we are on the road and the car is packed with stuff, there aren't a lot of options.  I did change him in a park area under a tree the other day out of desperation though, lol.
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    I think half-day kindergarten is complete and utter BS. All the parents in our area whining about how it's too long a day for their kids need to realize their children will be in school a full day the next year anyway and get over it.
    Ontario has full-day Kindergarten but parents can opt to pick up their kids halfway through the day or send them every other day if it's too much. I have heard the full day is a lot for the little ones and many of them fall asleep on the bus ride home. 
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    I like Gwyneth Paltrow.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    Speaking of changing tables do they have them in the men's rooms as well? I guess I never fully paid attention since I'm the one changing him whenever we're out.

• Options
    BobKat22 said:

______
    I still carry a disposable pad cover with L's diapers when we go out. I don't like them either.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    KTC926 said:
    I agree Kindergarten should be all day too, but if you would of asked me when I was 5 I would of said "TAKE ME HOME AT NOON!!". I was so scared of the teacher I let her call me "Kathy" (my real name is Katie), at a parent/teacher meeting my mom was like "who the hell is Kathy?!"

HAHA, that's awesome. I was scared of my kindergarten teacher too, and my 1-st grade teacher, who kindly told my parents that bc I was quiet, I'd be "screwed up for life."

• Options
    Pokedot said:
    Speaking of changing tables do they have them in the men's rooms as well? I guess I never fully paid attention since I'm the one changing him whenever we're out.
    They should. My H takes A to change her when we're out all the time! 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    Pokedot said:
    Some. Not many.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    Pokedot said:
    They should. My H takes A to change her when we're out all the time! 

Just saw back in conversation that this was mentioned. Sorry. DH would change DS I just always do instead. We've gotten to the point of being able to time when he goes so we're not out and about then! Ha!

• Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    melody921 said:
    Fathers who don't do certain jobs that come with having a newborn (like changing poopy bums) are douchey. 

Same goes for men who refuse to do housework.

My friend does everything for her husband. Makes his meals, does his laundry - the guy won't even make himself a damn sandwich for lunch on the weekend. Makes me stabby. Tell him to get off his ass and participate in the household. Fawk. 
    Amen. But women who won't let the dads do anything bc they do it wrong also make me stabby. 
    I've kind of had to back off from this. I've never told DH how to do something when it comes to DS but I do know that when I'm gone he'll feed him crap. DH thinks snack foods are an acceptable replacement for a meal. Instead of making him something he gives me crackers and a pouch. It's totally fine but not for every meal. I have to remind myself he's his father and has a say. He's an awesome dad he just has a different approach than I do to certain things.

• Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    Pokedot said:
    melody921 said:
    Fathers who don't do certain jobs that come with having a newborn (like changing poopy bums) are douchey. 

Same goes for men who refuse to do housework.

My friend does everything for her husband. Makes his meals, does his laundry - the guy won't even make himself a damn sandwich for lunch on the weekend. Makes me stabby. Tell him to get off his ass and participate in the household. Fawk. 
    Amen. But women who won't let the dads do anything bc they do it wrong also make me stabby. 
    I've kind of had to back off from this. I've never told DH how to do something when it comes to DS but I do know that when I'm gone he'll feed him crap. DH thinks snack foods are an acceptable replacement for a meal. Instead of making him something he gives me crackers and a pouch. It's totally fine but not for every meal. I have to remind myself he's his father and has a say. He's an awesome dad he just has a different approach than I do to certain things.

That should say "him" and for some reason it won't let me edit.

• Options
    yogitea01 said:

I completely judge pregnant women who smoke. I don't care how far along they are. The moment they chose a cigarette over the health of a child that Mom is shitty, IMO.

Brought to you by my new hire who is 10 weeks PG and still going outside for smoke breaks.

If you're guilty, I am guilty of this, too. Don't smoke with a baby in your belly, you dumb hoar. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    yogitea01 said:

I completely judge pregnant women who smoke. I don't care how far along they are. The moment they chose a cigarette over the health of a child that Mom is shitty, IMO.

Brought to you by my new hire who is 10 weeks PG and still going outside for smoke breaks.

I'm not condoning it at all - but sometimes women are advised by their doctors to continue smoking, to a point, and cut back slowly, due to not wanting to shock the system.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options
    Hi, BTW, @yogitea01.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    yogitea01 said:

If you're guilty, I am guilty of this, too. Don't smoke with a baby in your belly, you dumb hoar. 

My brother's g/f did this while pregnant with my niece. It took every ounce of my being to not utter a word and bite my tongue.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"