Multiples
Options

BF mamas- who gets which side?

So initially I tried using an app to keep track and alternating sides, but it was too complicated and I started alternating day to day (which is way easier to keep track of). However, I'm starting to think whoever is on the right winds up cluster feeding more. (When I was pumping at work with my first, production was better on my left- my right also hurts a bit more.). Should I swap for one feed in the evening? I don't want to avoid that side (I suspect it will produce less if I do). How do you decide who gets which side?

Re: BF mamas- who gets which side?

• Options
    I alternate on a low stress plan--as in, I usually alternate each feeding, but I really don't think too much about it!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I never alternated. I just grab a baby place on each side and nurse. Dosent matter who gets left or right. Never had unequal supply or any issues. And saved myself some sanity :)

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a major foremilk/hindmilk inbalance and oversupply so we assigned sides at about 5 mos.  They are 18 mos and still on the same sides.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Options
    AshB62 said:

We alternate every time. Always have. That's what my pediatrician, the hospital nurses, and the lactation consultant told me to do. I only tracked it for like the first 6 to 8 weeks. I usually can remember who gets which side, but I don't stress about it if I forget.

WSS. Haven't had my boys yet, but when I went to my breastfeeding class the teacher suggested swapping every time but not freaking out if for some reason i forget who was where last time.
  • Options
    xoexpatxoexpat member
    I was very diligent about alternating in the beginning, but since I nursed on demand, sometimes one baby would eat more frequently than the other, and it seemed easier to just feed based off of feeling...which side felt more full, etc. 
  • Options
    basil2basil2 member
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll keep changing day to day but maybe try to deliberately switch a feeding or 2 to even things out. (I wasn't stressing about remembering the last feeding, but it was giving me more to think about- that and not all our feedings are synchronized so it had me even more confused if a baby was eating more than the other).
    I like the 'pay no attention whatsoever' approach but am worried I'd be tempted to ignore the right side.
  • Options
    A friend of mine had boy/girl twins, she would wear a blue bracelet on whichever wrist/side she had last nursed her boy on.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I alternated day to day. A on the right and B on the left on one day and then switch the next day. I used the app to track the feeds but also to keep track of which baby was supposed to be on which side.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Options
    I switched w each feeding for a long time. I still like to, but at 11+mo, I'm way less diligent about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"