May 2013 Moms
Options

Bottle to Sleep and the Sippy Cup Transition - Question

Hi, is anyone using a bottle to help LO go to sleep and now transitioning to a sippy cup?

How are you weaning off bottles?  How did it affect putting LO to sleep?

Re: Bottle to Sleep and the Sippy Cup Transition - Question

• Options
    ALP514ALP514 member
    I had asked a similar question last week. I had gone with a suggestion by some of the moms and got the nuk active cup. The nipple is the shape of a sippy cup spout and its silicone so its like the best of both worlds. I planned on introducing it slowly but my LO took to it right away, so no more bottles for us. 

She was a little taken back by the shape because they have to learn to suck differently but it didn't effect her sleeping at all. We use these for morning , naps and night time bottles and use straw sippys throughout the day.

Here's the link..

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    edited May 2014
    ALP514  -

Just to clarify your LO sucks on the NUK sippy cup as she falls asleep in your arms?  

We definitley have a suck to sleep association and I am wondering if the NUK will allow that to continue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good question. I am interested in more responses.

When I am home with DS on the weekends he gets 4 oz when he wakes up and 4 oz at bedtime in bottles. Throughout the day it is sippy cups.

DS is home with DH during the week and I tell DH no bottles during the day. But I think DH gives them more frequently which doesn't help the transition.

This weekend I am going to try not giving the morning bottle and giving a sippy cup with breakfast.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Options
    rea1687 said:

Good question. I am interested in more responses.

When I am home with DS on the weekends he gets 4 oz when he wakes up and 4 oz at bedtime in bottles. Throughout the day it is sippy cups.

DS is home with DH during the week and I tell DH no bottles during the day. But I think DH gives them more frequently which doesn't help the transition.

This weekend I am going to try not giving the morning bottle and giving a sippy cup with breakfast.

This is us too. Bottle before bed, bottle in the am, sippy in between. Though he's still not drinking milk in the sippy. I just make sure he gets that nutrition elsewhere.
  • Options
    ALP514ALP514 member
    edited May 2014
    @coffeeandbooks She has fallen asleep sucking on the nuk active cup but that isn't a normal routine for us. She usually gets a bottle ( now the nuk cup) in my arms before bed but she falls asleep on her own in her crib. Sorry if I misread the post. However I do think it may help. The silicone will be a much easier transition then a hard spout if your LO is used to falling asleep on the bottle.

Good luck!!

ETA: edited to clarify 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    rebaannrebaann member
    When I finally got her dinner and bedtime at the right time, she naturally dropped the last bottle.  It was actually the first one to go.  Now she gets a sippy with dinner, bath/play, jammies, story, into the crib.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So here's what we've been doing, hopefully it helps. We started by transitioning all her daytime bottles to sippys and once she was off bottles for that, we only had the first morning one and the before bed one. I swapped her morning bottle for a sippy and the first day she threw the sippy away and wanted nothing to do with it so I gave her a small 2oz bottle just to satiate the hunger, then gave her another couple ounces in the sippy and then the next morning gave her just the sippy while I was changing her diaper and that has become our normal "morning" routine (i.e. wake up, sippy with diaper and/or clothes change if it's a weekday).

We did that for a couple weeks, then we decided to swap out her last bottle on Monday. So I just gave her a sippy instead of the bottle and let her drink that the same way she would her bottle, then put her to bed. Because she seemed perfectly fine with that, last night we actually decided to switch things around so we could brush her teeth before she went to bed instead of before the bottle/sippy. So we gave her a bath, then I gave her her sippy and while she was eating it, I read a book to her which helped keep her "awake". Everytime she looked like she was going to start falling asleep, I'd talk louder or something to keep her up haha. When she was done with her sippy, I went and brushed her teeth and put her to bed. She fought going to bed, but fell asleep after about 15 minutes of screaming. Unfortunately for us, she pooped while she was screaming so we had to wake her up once we realized she had pooped, but then she went back to bed pretty easily. I'm planning on repeating last night's routine tonight and from here on out, so hopefully that'll help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"