LGBT Parenting
Options

Parenting Check-In

Good Morning Everyone,

How was your weekend. Any new developments, challenges or successes with your LO(s)?  

QOTD:  What is your LO(s) favorite activity, food and book?

Another QOTD:  For those who have (or had) childcare for your LO(s) - what are some of the things you love about your childcare provider/daycare?

PIP (Picture in Post) always welcome!!

Re: Parenting Check-In

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

@pinkspark I'm so glad to hear that things went well last week, and that the heart procedure is behind you!  Not sure how you deal with the stress of these health issues with both of your kiddos, but you're doing an amazing job!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    JazibelJazibel member
    @pinkspark - glad to hear everything is going well with your LO(s).  I hope the stress is behind you :-)

@mamosey - sending you positive thoughts for an easy transition this week.

We had a good weekend.  The boys and I went on our first outings solo and we all survived and even had a little fun. :-)  Today I'm home by myself (EV's back at work).  It's 1pm and we're all hanging in there. Their napping and I should be too - but I have a few bills to pay first.  Gotta keep the lights on ;-)

Last night was hard. Kaden has been teething a molar this last week. Yikes - its been rough and he's been in a lot of pain.  We've given him advil off and on, and last night he woke after 11pm (I was still up with Owen), screaming. I've never seen him so distraught it was pretty heartbreaking. Meanwhile Owen cluster feeds in the evening and at night so he was crying fitfully too.  EV jumped in to help distract Kaden until the advil could kick in.  Ugh it was pretty rough. Needless to say I didn't get to sleep until 1:30am...

The adjustment to being a family of four is going well for us adults, and I think Kaden is warming up on all fronts to having a brother. We've put in a lot of effort to minimize jealousy, etc., and I believe its paying off. We've had several days without a jealous outburst from Kaden. And I continue to be super proactive to meet both their needs and to watch for trigger situations (such as Kaden being hungry for a meal and being forced to wait on Owen nursing).

We're back on the potty training wagon. I had fizzled out in the last couple of weeks/months because at 8-9 months pregnant I couldn't get down on the floor to help facilitate potty training (and cleaning up) that easily.  Last week I found several potty training books and a video at the library and we've been reading them to get Kaden excited about using his potty again.  

QOTD: Favorite activity - is riding his balance bike and running as fast as he can back and forth or around in circles.  Favorite food - chicken. He also loves ketchup and sour cream.  Favorite book - all of them.  A recent favorite library book was "Six Dinner Sid" which is a cute book about a cat. I just added it to the Amazon cart.  

I asked the second QOTD because we're starting to look into childcare options. It's a daunting undertaking, especially for 2 kiddos.  I think I'll make a list of how I'd "ideally" envision Kaden and Owen spending their days, and what our core philosophies and wish lists items are (like cloth diapers, and organic food) and see what I can find to match that list.  @JGY - your daycare sounds amazing!
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

@herbabymama I'm so sorry things are difficult at work.  Trust me when I say I've been there!  Is there any chance of you finding a new job?  I know it might seem impossible right now, I sure thought it was for me, but I found ways to make it work.  I desperately miss the work I did at my old job, but being away from my former boss (abusive a$$) and having regular work hours with no travel is SOO worth it to be there for my little guy.

Good luck!  I'm thinking extra special thoughts for you today.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    ATXmommasATXmommas member
    edited May 2014
    @jrtmom‌ - horrible advice! Nursing only 4 times a day? Crazy. How often do you offer solids? We're starting with evenings, which I think is totally fine for now, but wondering when we need to start offering more. I don't see any need to send food to day care with him yet, but one of his teachers asked me about it today. I told her we have his 6-month well check on Thursday and she told me to ask the dr how much milk/food he should be eating since he eats so much less than the other kiddos his age. She followed up by saying she wasn't worried about him. Eye roll. He's a healthy, growing boy who is very active - started army crawling some last week and is getting on his hands and knees - so I'm not sure why she thinks I don't know what I'm doing. Argh. Sorry for that tangent

@jazibel - I didn't answer your question about child care. I like our school just fine - but that's about it, which sounds terrible. Don't get me wrong - the teachers are kind and loving and he seems really happy and content. And the operation had a pretty good compliance history with state regulations. I just get frustrated because I do things a little differently than the norm and his teachers just don't get it, so I feel frustrated sometimes. I've thought about moving him, but the options are somewhat limited if we want to stay in the same area, same tuition range, and will go with the flow. it's not off the table, though. Anyway, good for you to think through your philosophies before looking for a good match.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @herbabymama‌ - hugs to you. I'm so sorry your boss is giving you a hard time. That definitely makes the transition unnecessarily more difficult than it already is. :(
  • Options
    I am a little late to the game today, its been a crazy day.  The girls had a WIC appointment this morning, I promised M we would go to the park if she was good....and she actually listened!  So we  spent some time outside before naptime. After they woke up I had to get an over night bag together for them.  They are staying at another families house tonight because we have our CPR recertification all day tomorrow at our foster agency and it was just easier to have another foster family keep them over night instead of just during the day tomorrow.  So I am sitting here with no kiddos for the night and I have no idea what to do with myself besides think of sleep!

Both girls are growing like crazy and learning new stuff each day.  K is finally sleeping thru the night and taking consistent naps during the day.  She just had a third tooth pop thru, so she has been a little fussy, but is usually a happy baby.  M has started the "WHY?" stage, ugh, it is so challenging!!  

QOTD:  M favorite food is probably spaghetti and K loves pumpkin/banana organic baby food
    They both love going to the park and going on the swings.

QOTD 2: I don't plan on sending my kids to day care, but I would probably want a smaller in home provider instead of a larger center.

Here is a picture of baby K crawling up the stairs for the first time today.  She did awesome!
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    @herbabymama   yikes..  I'm really sorry you have to put up with that awful work environment. :( 
    image image 
    Mom to the Lil Man and the Lil' Lady born at 33wks1day 
  • Options
    JazibelJazibel member
    @herbabymama - so sorry your boss is not being more supportive.  It's so stressful to transition back and away from the LO(s) anyway.  EV had a crummy boss a couple years ago that made life hard when she got back, and all she wanted to do was be home with us.  I hope that it eases up.  I usually advocate for putting up a fight, but your DW might be right on this one. Sometimes its not worth it :(  We're getting more mobile as a family of four so maybe we can connect sometime in June of a free weekend day in Santa Cruz?  Hopefully by then things have simmered down at work (and for us here at home).

@Mamosey - I have my favorite brands of cloth diapers too. I'm not sure of the brand of flips? But I really like the AOI (all in ones), and the covers with an insert or prefold inside. The thirsty brand is working pretty well and is the only one that won't leak with Owen's tiny bum :-)

@ATXmommas - thanks for posting about your daycare. I think one of the things I worry about is having to constantly explain my parenting choices. I see that from you posts that you sometimes have this experience. I realize I will need to compromise on certain things, but I'm hoping that the choices we make will be respected.  It's been helpful to hear the experiences of other people on this board as we move in this direction. There are also surprisingly few choices in our area too (that are even kind of affordable).  

@jrtmom - good luck with your pediatrician search. I think nursing only 4x per day would be very challenging. Kaden nursed more than 4x per day until I purposefully weaned him around a year (and that was to start TTC, I needed to regulate my cycle). 
  • Options
    2brides2brides member
    How was your weekend. Any new developments, challenges or successes with your LO(s)? I am a newly minted parent of 8y olds! Their party went great and it was the perfect number of kids (given it was at our house!) and L did a great job with the Minecraft theme.  They slept over at a friend's house Friday night so we could focus on the party and then that friend spent the night with us Sunday so her parents could celebrate their anniversary. Needless to say, Gray was a bear yesterday morning. Just too much. 

QOTD:  What is your LO(s) favorite activity, food and book? Carter is into sports (football, basketball, and soccer) - he loves to read and learn about the sports and can rattle off a crazy number of sports related facts. Grayson is into Minecraft and Terreria (both online multi player games in which he connects with Carter) and he loves to read books about it and "how to" books. Carter's favorite food is either the rice from Chipotle or Pollo Campero (fried chicken place.) Gray loves Pollo Campero any anything sweet. :)

Another QOTD:  For those who have (or had) childcare for your LO(s) - what are some of the things you love about your childcare provider/daycare? We had a nanny for the first 3y. It was awesome. She adored the boys and they adored her (many times they preferred her over us!) She became like part of our family and really built a wonderful foundation for the boys. They went to full day PK at 3y (our nanny moved) it was fine - nothing fabulous - but the kids liked the teachers and were safe and happy. We moved them to their current school for PK4 and the teacher was amazing. We've been fortunate at their school - Carter is a very wiggly kid and had a hard time  sitting in circle time (on his head, rolling around, touching other kids...) and none of the teachers made him/us feel badly about it - they worked on finding strategies that helped without feeling punitive. I think it helped the PK-1st grade teachers all had sons. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

Well mother effing eff.  Gabe's blood tests for allergies came back.  Dog, cat, eggs, wheat.  Seriously??? WTF??

Dog, cat and egg were all considered "Moderate response" and likely more of a contributing factor to the overall allergic load, but wheat was a "Very high response, highly clinically relevant."  Shit.

Time for a reality check.  My kid has a food allergy.  Am I upset/irritated/nervous/overwhelmed?  Yes.  Is it the end of the world?  No.  I have a close friend who will be having a c-section on Thursday to deliver a baby at 37 weeks with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia.  I guess I can suck it up.  ;)

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Options
    JGYJGY member

@stringy813 -  I can't recall if I previously posted about allergies/reactions or not.  Gabe has had eczema on his back for a few months now.  We thought it might be a milk allergy and went to the Dr. (we are thinking about switching now) who basically said "Yeah, maybe, cut it out and see what happens."  Then last week he had a more acute reaction to something; he sprouted hives and then woke up with his hands and feet a bright red and his eyes swollen and red.  Back to the Dr. we went and she decided to run a panel of allergy blood tests. It's interesting, the eczema doesn't seem to bother him at all; he's not itchy and doesn't seem uncomfortable, but that one incident was certainly disturbing.  I have to admit though, I really wasn't prepared for the results of the test.  Thankfully the cat and dog allergies were more mild, since we have both and they are a part of the family.  But the wheat allergy is daunting to this beer drinking, pasta loving lady.

@jrtmom I'm glad you switched Dr's.  That advice was whack.  "Food before one is just for fun."  The commonly accepted recommendation is that solids are always offered AFTER breastmilk/formula prior to 1 year of age as all of their nutritional needs should be met by the milk.  Glad you went with your gut.

I am also interested to hear about the weaning experience @jazibel.  It just seems such an impossibility right now, but since I have yet to start cycling again (not that I mind going 2 years without a period), it's looking like I might have to think more seriously about doing it sooner rather than later.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Options
    CageyMackCageyMack member
    edited May 2014
    @JGY Oh, man!  Just got around to reading the parenting thread and I'm shocked for you.  How hard!  It sounds like one of those total head scratchers when it just feel like random stuff.  You sound like you have a good perspective on it, but, yeah, man.  Sheesh. Lotta rice pasta for that kid, huh?

@herbabymama  I really feel for you.  That is exactly the kind of stuff I can't stand. People really do treat pregnant women and moms differently.  It is absolutely not a joke.  Don't let this woman get you down. I know you probably don't want to fight it, but it might be worth making a mention to at HR.  Just so it is on record.  Good luck!  Also, way to pump and bump!  Though that sounds dirty. :)

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Options
    JGYJGY member

@cageymack, thanks!  We're trying to take it in stride, but I had a big ol' "Poor us" moment last night.  I took Gabe to my softball game and there was another toddler there.  Gabe had his dinner and snacks, and so did the other kiddo.  At one point they wanted to share and Gabe was carrying around the other kid's snack container.  It hit me like a ton of bricks that we couldn't just allow him to do that ... the other kid had crackers and cheerios and a mixture of things in there.

I guess the good news is that we haven't seen anything like anaphylaxis.  At this time it's just eczema (which doesn't seem to bother HIM in the slightest).

BTW, "Pump and bump" is my new favorite phrase.  And I do it ALL the time.  :)

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Options
    JazibelJazibel member
    My mobile bump has not been allowing me to post :(  Sorry for not replying earlier  @JGY & @jrtmom

Weaning Kaden actually went fairly easily. I didn't cycle for nearly the whole year until sometime in May and June (and received positive OPKs).  But my cycles were wonky (very long, short AF's, etc.) Because we were aiming to begin TTC when Kaden was about a year,  I started cutting back to 2-3 nursing sessions per day in June.  Kaden was already eating solids at all meals with us. I also started offering cows milk, or coconut milk (or most often a mix).  My goal was to bring back a more track-able cycle.  The cutting back worked, and Kaden seemed happy nursing just those few times per day.  He was becoming so active and far less interested in long nursing sessions at the time.  We tried on our end of July cycle (around early August) and became pregnant.  It was an odd time for us because we'd traveled back to California (from Roatan, Honduras) and were living in a small apartment with our friends while both couples were TTC (with the the same donor).  On top of all of those stresses Kaden, EV and I caught a cold.  I actually nursed Kaden many times a night during our TTC week, since he was waking often and needed the comfort.  I think that the more constant nursing led to my bleeding around CD 10 to 15+.  I got a positive BFP on CD 15 (I only took a pregnancy test because my temps were very high, I had already assumed I was out for that cycle, since I had what I assumed to by my period).  I continued to spot and bleed every other day or so for the next week until we figured out that my spotting was likely related to nursing at night. So I stopped cold turkey.  After Kaden got over the cold I'd cut back to nursing 1-2x per day, mostly to get him to sleep, and if he woke up. When we went cold turkey I supplemented a bottle during those sessions.  Kaden didn't seem to mind, in fact for the first time he started sleeping through the night. He's consistently slept all night since I weaned.  (For which I've been grateful - even 9 months of great sleep has helped me prepare to be the Mama of a newborn again! ;-)

Sorry for that long description (last night was a long night with little sleep...)  Anyway I think what worked the best for us is we cut back over 2+ months, and introduced other milk options instead of nursing.  We eventually cut back on giving bottles with every nap/bedtime because with all the food he was eating it was just too many "empty" calories per day.  At some point when he was around 15-16 months (maybe more) we stopped giving bottles all together, he just wasn't interested anymore so we transitioned to all sippy/straw cups.

I think if we hadn/t TTC I would have nursed longer, but at the same time Kaden seemed ready around the time we started cutting back.  Besides that he was such a big kid, wrestling him onto my lap wasn't as cozy as it had been a few months before ;-)

I'd love to hear what you're thinking of doing and I look forward to updates :-)
  • Options
    @mamosey I didn't remember you were in Boston!  Diaper Lab is super helpful, although I was in there the other week and they didn't have a ton in stock (of what I use at least).  Also diaper lab will buy used back for store credit, if you have a whole lot to get rid of.  Only at like 40-50% new though - you can get more on line but it takes more work to post and ship etc.  Good luck!

I also really liked The Diaper Lab! We ended up not going the CD route, but I went to a CD workshop one night and they were fantastic and super nice!
    image image 
    Mom to the Lil Man and the Lil' Lady born at 33wks1day 
  • Options
    JazibelJazibel member
    @jrtmom - I look forward to hearing your story unfold. I hope the process is easy for you (both weaning and TTC #2). I was 36 when I got pregnant with Owen too :-)
  • Options
    JGYJGY member
    edited May 2014

@jazibel @stringy813 @jrtmom I have so much that I want to write/say about weaning and bottles and potential for kid #2.  But work is absolutely nuts for me right now.  Hopefully no one minds if we keep this thread going through the week.  I'll try to get back on here tonight or tomorrow and put some of my thoughts down.

For the record, S and I plan to sit down tonight after Gabe goes to bed, and lay out a plan for night-weaning.  We're just there.  We both SO need to sleep, and after another long night last night where I ended up in the crib with Gabe after nursing him for close to an hour ... well, we've got to make some changes.

Hugs to all of you!  I so appreciate this forum.

ETA - to edit S's full name back to a letter.  Sometimes I don't think before I type.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Options
    JGYJGY member

@stringy813, I will start a new thread - good reminder.

And to answer your question, this is about the 3rd time I've ever done this.  I'm not proud of it but it's a total last resort.  The other times he has fallen asleep (finally) and I've been able to crawl out and go to bed.  Last night he just wouldn't go to sleep and S ended up hearing him, coming in, kicking me out, and he was asleep in 10 minutes.  Go figure.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Options
    JazibelJazibel member
    @JGY - wait how did you crawl into the crib? I'm trying to picture myself doing that and I don't think I'm agile enough - I wish we had a pic :-)  I've definitely fallen asleep next to the crib on the floor, my hand crammed between the bars trying to pat Kaden's back.... 
  • Options
    JazibelJazibel member
    Ok on the topic of nursing.  When did you introduce a bottle for the first time.  (If this has been discussed before and I missed it - apologies) :-)
  • Options
    Z sometimes gets in the crib with Ash - just for fun, though, since he doesn't sleep there. That's just my Z!

I'm interested in the topic of weaning too, although the earliest I'll wean us a year. Lots of thoughts/questions on this, so I too would love a continued discussion.
  • Options

Jazibel said:

Ok on the topic of nursing.  When did you introduce a bottle for the first time.  (If this has been discussed before and I missed it - apologies) :-)

Not sure if this was directed at anyone in particular.  We did it a little sooner than is usually recommended but not super early. Maybe 2-3 weeks? And it was more of a "lets see if this will work" kind of thing. Didn't do it regularly for a few months, maybe just a few times a week for practice.

We introduced at 3 weeks. Have him about one bottle every 3 days or so. I was advised by some very pro-BF doulas to give by 3 weeks to ensure he would take one when he started to go to child care at 3 months. We didn't have any issues with starting then.
  • Options
    JazibelJazibel member
    @stringy813 & @atxmommas - thank you :-) I was thinking of starting this week (Owen turns 3 weeks old today) because I want to be sure that he'll be "bottle positive" for future daycare/childcare.  Kaden kind of fought the bottle for a while (we tried lots of different options)  but we also waited until 6 weeks+ to offer him a bottle for the first time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"