August 2013 Moms
Options

Finger foods

vulpinivulpini member
edited May 2014 in August 2013 Moms
I'm having some trouble with feeding LO solids the last few weeks.  He used to do really great with purees of all kinds of fruits and veggies, but now he refuses them or grabs the spoon from me and just chews on that.  He's started to really like finger foods though - he gets excited for them, reaches for what I'm eating, will try just about anything I put on his tray, etc.  The issue is that he gets a mouthful of whatever it is, but then doesn't swallow most of it.  Sometimes he gags a little, sometimes it all just sits in his mouth for a while and then he pushes it back out.  I'm sure he'll grow out of this and it's a normal stage in learning to eat, but what if anything can I do to make it easier for him and increase the amount of food that actually get to his belly? 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Finger foods

• Options
    Steamed carrot sticks are LOs favorite. That and any meat in pea size pieces.
  • Options
    Just let him play. My two will often push things in and out of their mouth, half chewed bits of food, multiple times before they swallow it.

When I'm feeding them yogurt, I'll give one a spoon to hold onto so that I can feed him w another.

I know you know, but gagging and mouthing food is normal. It took a couple of weeks maybe for them to really start ingesting quantity.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This LO never liked purees, so he eats mostly what we eat. I steam fruits and veggies, but also offer chicken and meats in small pieces. He also enjoys orzo, toast, waffles/pancakes and any kind of bread/muffin. His absolute favorite is Dr. Praeger's Spinach Littles- he would eat them every meal!
  • Options
    My LO can't feed himself puff sized stuff, he just chicka it. He only feeds himself the gerber cheeto's, and stuff like that.
  • Options
    RevezRevez member
    LO hates purees. And I mean hates. If I put something on a spoon and try to put it in her mouth you would think someone is torturing her from the sounds she makes.

She LOVES sweet potatoes, so I like to do home made sweet potato fries. Other favorites are tomato slices and cucumbers cut into strips. She isn't big on meat, which makes me a little nervous, but we do keep offering it. GL!

• Options
    My daughter went from being crazy about purees to rejecting everything on a spoon (we even tried those squeeze packs of the purees). She is currently crazy about the broccoli cheddar nuggets listed om this page: https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfingerfood.htm#.U3ZQoihZVFI  we've also done the sweet potato "fries" and turkey loaves which she liked. Good luck, its so frustrating to keep wasting food but my doc said I just have to keep introducing the foods and hopefully she will get a taste for them :)  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"